www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Kiwi fruit no doubt
No need for me to do that as Lynette sorts all that for a fruit salad after our evening meal. The fruit knife is primarily for an apple when I want one outside of meal times.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A bit of leatherwork today. Laying them out with the least waste and with them all ready for the stitching. Hot waxing and an edge on the blades tomorrow so they are all set to be shipped off.
IMG_20201125_091850.jpg

IMG_20201125_154215.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
These two were particularly satisfying with the spalted buckeye being one of my favourite woods on the Light Hunter with bronze and an AH EDC
IMG_20201126_145724.jpg

IMG_20201126_151956.jpg

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
My new @Von Gruff kitchen butcher knife made short work of our 20lb Thanksgiving Turkey. I felt like a surgeon as my knife deftly removed nearly every piece of edible meat on the carcass. A true pleasure to use. Thank you!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
My new @Von Gruff kitchen butcher knife made short work of our 20lb Thanksgiving Turkey. I felt like a surgeon as my knife deftly removed nearly every piece of edible meat on the carcass. A true pleasure to use. Thank you!
My pleasure Mort. Always happy to hear of their use to either prepare or serve food for the table.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
After the hunt is done and the meat processed and bought to the table a good knife is needed to help enjoy the fruits of your endevours.
I have been working on a table knife/steak knife design over the last couple of years and now have it where I convinced that it is worthy of presenting to my customer base. There is a His'n'Hers in the pair with the Hers being a fraction shorter in both handle and blade. Blades is NitroV SS with the first pair being spalted buckeye and the second pair with maple burl.
IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

These are some of the trial knives I have done and rejected over that time. Make one and use it for long enough to find fault and the make another to try.

IMG_20201118_164111.jpg

IMG_20201118_164256.jpg

The top one with linen micarta was the first one of the new design that I was able to use for over 6 months without feeling the need to alter any aspect of it. There are many instances where the main table kn ife may also be needed for the secondary use as a side polate knife for the spreading of a bit of butter on a bread roll etc etc so the forward third of the blade came in for a lot of trialing to get to this point (pun not intended) where it will comfortably accomplish this task as well as it will perform on a steak or clean up round a chop bone. The lower one with the stone washed blade and impala jigged buffalo horn in my traveling knife and stays in the truck for when we eat away from home. Hotel staff have been intrigued to see someone bring their own knife to the table but a comfortable knife is always preferabvle to some random knife offered at another table.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Those are beautiful works of art. Very impressed. i may actually be afraid to use them
Thanks Matt but they are for serious use. Have listed them in the classifieds / for sale section

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A few cut out and ready to keep me occupied over the next few weeks untill I can ship off shore again.
IMG_20201207_140219.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Got everything prepped with all the stainless blades foil wrapped and ready for HT when I pick up some more liquid nitrogen at the end of the week.. Did a pre grind on these ones, hardened them and have them in the tempering for first cycle to have the second one in the morning. Had to think through how to do the grind on the ulu but with a bit of an adjustment to one of the jigs I can repeat the angles for the finish grind and now have the tooling if there are more orders for these handy little kitchen knives. I leave enough spine on them all so that after the oil quench (12 seconds) I can bang them in between the alloy plates in the vise (to ensure straightness) for a minute or two as I am setting the next blade in the heat. Still have a couple of minutes to dunk the plates in the water bucket to cool before the next blade is ready to come from the forge to quench.
IMG_20201209_154806.jpg

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Garry, are you making the Ulu for one of our Alaskan members? I've seen them before, but they are not in common use in the lower 48 States.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Garry, are you making the Ulu for one of our Alaskan members? I've seen them before, but they are not in common use in the lower 48 States.
Not Alaska. That one is going to Oregon. The Ulu is a very under rated kitchen knife. I made one for myself a number of years back and no other knife is as effective in a one handed use for cutting / dicing rhubarb, celery etc into cubes for cooking but where it really shines is with two handed use for chopping fresh herbs for those of you who make your own sausage or any cooking that needs a lot of fresh herb chopped finely

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Note to all- The post office delivered the spalted buckey steak knives this morning. Fortunately the day broke clear and bright and my wife and my first viewing of the knives was in bright sunlight. Believe me, they are more beautiful than even in the photographs. the slightly smaller ladies knife fit my wife's hand perfectly and as usual, the workmanship elevates them to works of art. they are being wrapped for official opening on Christmas morning. thanks so much Garry!!!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I have got another three sets I am heat treating today so will put them in the classified at some stage with buyers choice of handle material.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Those are NitroV stainless knives that have been hardened at 1955F/1070c for 7 minutes and plate quenched. I put them in the shed freezer for a 1/2 hour to bring them down in temp to below zero before they go in the liquid notrogen @- 320f / -195C for an hour to do the cryo quench then after they come back up to room temp are into the tempering oven for 2 time 2 hour cycles at 339f / 165C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayMoyer8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh