Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
@arizonajake I’ve handled one Kiwi hunting knife knife with a a Micarta handle belongings to an Aussie.

I found it quite grippy and I can see it’s been well used and the owner is very proud of it.

Mr Gruff, I would like to see the finish on the steel on that vegetable chopper it looks like it was going to be interesting.
I will post the other one tomorrow Chris. It is from the same piece of very old saw blade. It has a lovely piece of Huon pine with brass and the gold colours work very well together.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Second chinese vegetable knife done and more pleased with it in every way. Stabilised Huon Pine and brass with the first "D" handle and and quite like the way it feels in hand. Last pic is of the previous one with bronze and ebony and it can be seen how wrong the handle and the grind is so it will be reground and have the handle changed in the next few days

IMG_20201029_094805.jpg

IMG_20201029_094842.jpg

IMG_20201029_095003.jpg

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Nice, the Ebony handle looks like what I might expect this style to look like it’s it was a traditional Chinese version. I realise this is custom but that does not look out of place to me.

I quite like the finish on the metal. I guess you are saying the grind is not right as you expect to have it taper further back on this style?

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Nice, the Ebony handle looks like what I might expect this style to look like it’s it was a traditional Chinese version. I realise this is custom but that does not look out of place to me.

I quite like the finish on the metal. I guess you are saying the grind is not right as you expect to have it taper further back on this style?
The handle is too deep at the front Chris and because of the thickness of the bronze I used had to be too narrow as well to have the bronze and ebony transition feel right so while I may do another handle with the same materials, it will be from the correct sized stock so the handle can be the flat fronted but rounded handle of the traditional knife. Abount an 1 1/4 x 1 at the rear and slightly less at the front.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Have this big Cimeter ready to do the pre grind on and a few more profiled that I will get preped while the cimeter is in the tempering oven but need to finish this one to complete a trio with the chinese vegetable knife and the slicer I did last week.
IMG_20201101_170320.jpg

IMG_20201101_170334.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
garry,
what is the use of that big knife?
bruce.
It is my understanding that it is for cutting/slicing the larger muscle group sections (after boning out) from animals like beef etc. The butcher who I checked my design with uses a slightly shorter version of the same knife for these tasks

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Yes, I have a Victorinox Scimeter (Steak knife) eg slicing steaks as Garry said.
A mate was Selling butchering gear and I have a little interest this.

There are 2 types I have seen readily available. Scimiter and Bullnose.

Occasionally I buy whole rump and slice my own.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Yes, I have a Victorinox Scimeter (Steak knife) eg slicing steaks as Garry said.
A mate was Selling butchering gear and I have a little interest this.

There are 2 types I have seen readily available. Scimiter and Bullnose.

Occasionally I buy whole rump and slice my own.
The butcher I was checking with had about 5 of the cimeters to one bullnose. My father had a pair of cimeters but they were shorter (about 9 inches) for smaller animals. The bull nose is much less commonly used from what I understand.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Very interesting thread with lots of beautiful knives. However, I do have one pet peeve with just about every hunting knife out there: The smooth surfaces of the handles. Whenever I purchase a knife, whether folding or fixed blade for hunting, my number one concern is functionality and in my humble opinion, being able to effectively grasp a knife while one's hands are wet, covered with fish slime or animal blood is my primary concern. To me, sharpness is slightly secondary to handling when skinning or gutting any animal. I appreciate beauty as much as anyone, but whatever tool I purchase is for use, not display.

I have found that Rapala makes good fileting knives with rubberized, textured handles. They also make them with wooden handles. My first knife of this type came with a wooden handle, so I had to roughen up the surface with a Dremel tool. The handle looks ugly and butchered, but it says in my hand when being put to use.

I inherited beautiful a Sauer skinning knife, which I proceeded to use on a deer and ended up giving myself a nasty cut in my left hand when blood made the handle slippery and caused me to lose my grip on it. I ended-up having to coarse-sand the laminate handle and apply coarse-textured paint which mimics ceramic particles upon drying. Same thing with another custom-made skinning knife.

The last hunting knife I bought is a Benchmark with textured rubber handles. The shape of the blade is not as effective as others for skinning/gutting, but the damn thing stays in my hand.

It would be advantageous for custom knife makers to offer knives with rough textured handles, since I am quite sure I am not alone and many hunters would appreciate it. Please excuse the rant. :)

I don’t mean to threadjack but Rapala does not make good filet knives, they make trash.

Maartini of Finland used to make all the knives retailed by rapala when we were kids. Excellent knives. Stay away from garage sales because that’s my beat looking for them. Maartini still makes knives and they did a few $300 limited editions a few years ago for Rapala. The current Rapala line of knives is Chinese trash.

Von Gruff can make these designs and he can finish with G10 of Micarta handles that are textured and far superior to injection molded rubber stuff from china.

you don’t get what you pay for with production knives, those $20 Chinese knives have many middlemen and are $1 knives marked up by export, packager, broker, wholesaler, Rapala, distributor, retailer. Whereas with Von Gruff, hand made and no 7 layers of middle man markup.

arizonajake

AH member
Reaction score
I don’t mean to threadjack but Rapala does not make good filet knives, they make trash.

Maartini of Finland used to make all the knives retailed by rapala when we were kids. Excellent knives. Stay away from garage sales because that’s my beat looking for them. Maartini still makes knives and they did a few $300 limited editions a few years ago for Rapala. The current Rapala line of knives is Chinese trash.

Von Gruff can make these designs and he can finish with G10 of Micarta handles that are textured and far superior to injection molded rubber stuff from china.

you don’t get what you pay for with production knives, those $20 Chinese knives have many middlemen and are $1 knives marked up by export, packager, broker, wholesaler, Rapala, distributor, retailer. Whereas with Von Gruff, hand made and no 7 layers of middle man markup.
Thanks for the update. I've owned these Rapala knives for approximately 30 years and they are, in fact, made by Maartini and made in Finland. You can bet the beer money I will never let go of them now.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
The 12 1/2 in Cimeter is finished with its quilted macrocarpa handle over the slant back buffalo horn bolster on the 1075 blade and so is another 7 1/2 inch slicer with the Swamp Kauri handle over the slant back brass bolster on the NitroV blade along with the Wapiti hunter with the OD canvas micarta over black paper micarta on the 1095 blade.
IMG_20201104_133023.jpg

IMG_20201104_133043.jpg

IMG_20201029_095021.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Just received my new skinner. It’s a knife from Mr Tanazacq, France. I love it!
First thing I noticed is the very uneven secondary bevel which indicates a less than optimum grind.

adzhoo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
First thing I noticed is the very uneven secondary bevel which indicates a less than optimum grind.

Looking closer and it’s actually quite nice. The reflection is giving that impression.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
There is not much "Africa" about these two but I thought to do a work in progress for them both. @Dr Ray asked me to do something a bit different but left what that might be up to me and then after I had spent a couple of hours (hours lol) trying to think of something different that would also be a challenge, he started a thread and asked the forum what he should get me to make.
He started a thread in the generqal chat section and asked the forum what he should get me to make and said
"I rang Garry and now I’m keeping him awake at nights!!
I asked him to design a display knife that is not the usual run of the mill."

@Ridgewalker sugested a Kukri and Dr Ray liked the idea but I said I had been thinking of a Templar Knights dagger and Dr Ray said to do them both so that is where this all started.

The Kukri has traditionall been made from leaf springs for as long as leaf springs have been available so that was what I decided to do as well and the dagger also needed thicker steel than what I had on hand so while I was going to use the leaf spring, it made sense to make both at the same time or at least do the initial forging together.
So this was the starting place
IMG_20201029_162205.jpg

a bit of heat and I could straighten much of the bend and cut the spring into the two halves

IMG_20201029_162127.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I am keeping a bit of video and will upload it later in the project but while I was doing the thinning and a distal taper to both pieces I noticed the hammer tempo had slowed and upon checking, found the final drive pulley was slipping on the shaft. It had only ever had the two grub screws to tighten the pulley center to the shaft and there were no 1/2 in grub screws in town so it was a quick run down to Milton (1.2 hr each way) for another screw so I could get everything tightened down again. That put a bit of a hole in the day but I did get the two blades thinned and a distal taper forged in so I could mark out the patterns on them.
IMG_20201109_093006.jpg

IMG_20201109_094707.jpg

The kukri needed to be bent to follow the bend of the pattern so with that done, the angle grinder was used to remove much of the surplus .

IMG_20201109_151639.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanteIbarr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards