Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Craft fair today with my agent getting these knives out there in the public eye.
Tonys display..png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This is a 7 1/2 in chef with spalted buckeye on the 12C27 ss blade and ready for an edge for shipping. Leather slip cover.
c2.png

C1.png

c3.png

and the little field scalpel with olive on the 2 1/2 inch 1084 blade. Pocket sheath with no belt loop.

c4.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
wow would i like to look over that table.
bruce.
He didn't have the 1911 presentation case with the pocket ranger knife and for the larger fairs he is going to have the scary sharp system set up as well.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
That Spalted Bukeye is nicely patterned, just one of many options available.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Busy day today with patterns cut out of steel sheet for a chinese vegetable cleaver, a 12 inch bladed cimeter a meat slicer and new pattern table knives with a his n hers slight size difference. The cleaver and the cimeter will be in carbon steel but cut the staniless blades from a sheet of NitroV stainless and got them ready for a minimal pre-grind tomorrow. The 1/4 inch hole in the handles is to hang them in the liquid nitrogen dewar on the copper brackets I made.
IMG_20201012_171304.jpg

IMG_20201012_165020.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Had four knives ready to ship today and and sent three off without taking a pic of them but one was an AH EDC and two of the slicers from the previous pic. This one I will deliver on fri when I am in the city
Gidgee and brass (with 3 copper pins) on the Nitro V stainless blade and in the first group of stainless blades that I have given a cryo quench.
IMG_20201021_165149.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Todays grinding session will give me some handsanding to do next. Three slicers (Nitro V) a chinese vegetable knife and a wapiti knife. Bought another very nice lot of handle blocks with spalted buckeye and gidgee from
Jason Williams
who has the best selection going and is a real gent to deal with.

IMG_20201022_170016.jpg

wood.png

LiegeRiver

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, B&C, NAHC, RMEF, APOS
Hunted
Canada, USA
Todays grinding session will give me some handsanding to do next. Three slicers (Nitro V) a chinese vegetable knife and a wapiti knife. Bought another very nice lot of handle blocks with spalted buckeye and gidgee from
Jason Williams
who has the best selection going and is a real gent to deal with.

View attachment 372666

View attachment 372667

I really like the profile of the Wapiti knife.... I am going to assume that it’s at bottom right in the picture?

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Von Gruff, I'm familiar with "cyro" treating of gun barrels making them more accurate, but what does it do for knives?

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I really like the profile of the Wapiti knife.... I am going to assume that it’s at bottom right in the picture?
Yes the wapiti knife and the wapiti hunter butcher are for these larger game hunted in cold weather.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Von Gruff, I'm familiar with "cyro" treating of gun barrels making them more accurate, but what does it do for knives?
For a stainless blade and in this case the NitroV, that is hardened by heating to 1950F for 15 minutes and plate quenched then tempered at 300F twice, the finished blade will have a R hardness of about 60R but the same blade if given a liquid nitrogen cryo quench before the 2 tempering cycles will be up in the 62R plus range which not only add hardness but also toughnes to the blade. Expensive to set up with the Dewar and LN but adds to the quality of the blade that can be produced.

arizonajake

AH member
Reaction score
Very interesting thread with lots of beautiful knives. However, I do have one pet peeve with just about every hunting knife out there: The smooth surfaces of the handles. Whenever I purchase a knife, whether folding or fixed blade for hunting, my number one concern is functionality and in my humble opinion, being able to effectively grasp a knife while one's hands are wet, covered with fish slime or animal blood is my primary concern. To me, sharpness is slightly secondary to handling when skinning or gutting any animal. I appreciate beauty as much as anyone, but whatever tool I purchase is for use, not display.

I have found that Rapala makes good fileting knives with rubberized, textured handles. They also make them with wooden handles. My first knife of this type came with a wooden handle, so I had to roughen up the surface with a Dremel tool. The handle looks ugly and butchered, but it says in my hand when being put to use.

I inherited beautiful a Sauer skinning knife, which I proceeded to use on a deer and ended up giving myself a nasty cut in my left hand when blood made the handle slippery and caused me to lose my grip on it. I ended-up having to coarse-sand the laminate handle and apply coarse-textured paint which mimics ceramic particles upon drying. Same thing with another custom-made skinning knife.

The last hunting knife I bought is a Benchmark with textured rubber handles. The shape of the blade is not as effective as others for skinning/gutting, but the damn thing stays in my hand.

It would be advantageous for custom knife makers to offer knives with rough textured handles, since I am quite sure I am not alone and many hunters would appreciate it. Please excuse the rant. :)

Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
@arizonajake That is a valid point and a micarta handle that is shaped to be secure in hand and with a 120grit finish can still look good without the need to have suplementary griping added. There are some who add gripping areas with round file etc but knife design and that is the whokle knife design has a direct bearing on the usability and therefore the safety of use. Wiping wet or bloody hands periodically when they become slippery is a sensible precautionary safety practice that can and does prevent many instances where weak hold on the knife may cause harm to the user.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
This is a pretty neat solution (IMO) to the slick / good looking polished micarta appearance combined with a bit of tackiness and grip of a more textured or "rough" handle..

I recently used some of this to make a handful of hunting knives that are going to be "give aways" at a veterans deer hunt that we've got set up a few weeks from now..

A layer of rubber is inserted between layers of cloth when they make the micarta.. when you cut/grind it, you get a pretty near looking pattern.. and the rubber provides "grip" while the micarta provides a nice, polished, clean appearance..

Its not very "traditional" and probably wont appeal to guys that love a traditional appearance..

but it is functional and attractive when done right..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.12.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.12.56 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.12.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.12.58 PM.png
    401.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
One of todays jobs was to prepare this Chinese vegetable knife for the handle and the pommel. Blade was cut from and old pitted bench saw blade which was hard wire brushed and then done again after the heat treating process to maintain the blackened look of a rescued old knife. Will have bronze and ebony furntiure so the bronze bolsters are pinned on and the pommel anchor cut and peened in place with its pin rounded to lock on the pommel plate.
IMG_20201026_152035.jpg

And another meat (or vegetable) slicer which is similar to the japanese nakiri but wanted to show one of the processes I use now to ensure there is as good an epoxy hold on the steel as is possible. The little dremmel has only one use in the shed and that is with the small carbide burr to do the roughing of the tang.
IMG_20201026_152613.jpg
IMG_20201026_152651.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Had to make a decision on the Chinese vegetable knife after the handle shaping started to come together and wasn't pleased either the weight or the feel in hand so have put it aside and will take the handle off, regrind the blade with higher grind to remove more weight and use a different bolster and wood combination. In the meantime I ground the other blade and have it in the clamps to finish tomorrow. Also got a Wapiti knife with handles on for tomorrow as well.

IMG_20201027_164838.jpg

The slicer came up rather nice with its Tasmanian Blackwood and bronze furniture
IMG_20201027_165352.jpg

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
@arizonajake That is a valid point and a micarta handle that is shaped to be secure in hand and with a 120grit finish can still look good without the need to have suplementary griping added. There are some who add gripping areas with round file etc but knife design and that is the whokle knife design has a direct bearing on the usability and therefore the safety of use. Wiping wet or bloody hands periodically when they become slippery is a sensible precautionary safety practice that can and does prevent many instances where weak hold on the knife may cause harm to the user.
@arizonajake I’ve handled one Kiwi hunting knife knife with a a Micarta handle belongings to an Aussie.

I found it quite grippy and I can see it’s been well used and the owner is very proud of it.

Mr Gruff, I would like to see the finish on the steel on that vegetable chopper it looks like it was going to be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanteIbarr

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards