Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I made a start on the knife with the firtst step was to cut the blade out of the bar of damascus
1601444322538.png

A little bit of surgery was needed on the tang with a short extension welded on and a 5/32 hole drilled and countersunk for a copper rivet later that will be where the 1/8 handle pin goes through
1601444399390.png

I ground the bronze spacer to .155 but have an idea they might be a bit thick for the subtle shine I want them to give. The ebony spacer is about right and the handle blockwas cut with a 6.5 degree angle to fit and follow the handlecurve.
1601444472007.png

1601444564879.png

I decided to do the grind post heat treat so have hardened it and have put it in the oven for the first tempering cycle as I left the shed for the evening and will do the second one tomorrow while I do the handle shaping on the others knives so I can get them all finished and away to their new homes.

1601444638932.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Grind is done and first bronze plate fitted. Next is getting the underside of the ricasso done and then on to the S guard so doing a bit of checking on others guards to find the right combination of curves, length and end treatment to hopefully complement the picture I have in my head.
1601444982592.png

All the handle components fitted with pins between the handle and the ebony to make sure it all stays together as the epoxy cures overnight
1601445044843.png

1601445081712.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
a little more done today on this one but had to adjust this old bar cramp my gradfather made for my father in 1949 so it was usable for clamping blades with long guards. Cut a couple of pieces off the end annd with one slotted they were welded to the original cramping blocks and a wider foot welded to the base. With a soft faced clamp on the blade of the knife and the clamp up against the slotted cramping block it allows for the handle to be held securely for the glue up. Not at that stage yet as still playing with the handle shaping but nearly there. Once the handle is all but done and the S guard is blued I can etch the blade. Still deciding whether to do some filework on the front bronze spacer
1601445201687.png

1601445245802.png

1601445280307.png

1601445313511.png

1601445346056.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Another stage completed with assembly this afternoon. Marked out the front spacer in a sunburst pattern and did some filing on it, fully shaped the handle and thinned down a piece of 1/8 carbon fiber to 3/32 for the pin, blued the guard before doing the etch on the blade and epoxying it all together.
1601445546016.png

1601445581018.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
There was a bit of a wait as I wanted to do a croc skin inlay for the sheath so had to wait for its arrival and in the meantime I worked on the Kabars posted above and just as importantly, did some research on how to do the sheath. There were a couple of do-overs but it all came together and can finally show it all together and now just need and edge on the blade and the River Sunset Bowie is complete.
1601446047893.png

1601446077874.png

1601446127897.png

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Nice work, I hope the Anonymous owner is happy with it.

Maybe its a member, maybe they have seen it,

May-be, its my rich Uncle from Nigeria , he has promised me lots of nice things for the support i have given him in regaining his fortune.

i like the Croc inlay, I hope its got a "Made by Von Gruff " stamp on the back, they look cool and my knife was just a week to early to get one.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Nice work, I hope the Anonymous owner is happy with it.

Maybe its a member, maybe they have seen it,

May-be, its my rich Uncle from Nigeria , he has promised me lots of nice things for the support i have given him in regaining his fortune.

i like the Croc inlay, I hope its got a "Made by Von Gruff " stamp on the back, they look cool and my knife was just a week to early to get one.
Yes every sheath now gets the stamp on the back of the sheath

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Some time back I got an email from a repeat customer asking if I could/would do a damascus bowie and having done a few stainless damascus display knives for him as well as carbon hard use knives I thought it was time to stretch my skill levels a bit. I was given free reign on the whole build so got an okay on costs and sugested a carbon steel damascus blade with a pattern called the Australian river so to carry on the theme which in my mind is dappled evening sunlight over the river with blackened tree stump and branch . Two slices of bronze for the sunlight, a blued S guard for the blackened branch, a wide ebony spacer for the tree stump and a beautiful piece of lacewood with a grain structure that looks like the contnuation of the river in the evening gloom. Have a piece of crocodile skin for the sheath inlay to continue the river theme and in my mind it all seems to work.
So with that said, here are the components I will be atempting to put together to bring this theme to reality.
He didn't wasnt to see anything till it was finished so while I did post it elsewhere as the build progressed (knifemaking forum) I had not shown any of it here so some of the posts will indicate a time frame that is not relevant to the poists now as the knife is finished
View attachment 369845

I believe this is my knife!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I believe this is my knife!
I believe you are right and I really appreciate the new things I learned while making it.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
There was a bit of a wait as I wanted to do a croc skin inlay for the sheath so had to wait for its arrival and in the meantime I worked on the Kabars posted above and just as importantly, did some research on how to do the sheath. There were a couple of do-overs but it all came together and can finally show it all together and now just need and edge on the blade and the River Sunset Bowie is complete.
View attachment 369864

View attachment 369865

View attachment 369866

The anonymous knife ordered is me

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
The anonymous knife ordered is me

And you look quite happy with yourself in that emoji.

Another Von Gruff inbound for Australia.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
ray,
you just could not help yourself could you:sick:
now you have to use it.
bruce.

Yes I could t help myself
Asked Garry to design my Bowie knife w s Damascus blade
I was the first to get him to make a Damascus Blade knife quite some time ago

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Yes I could t help myself
Asked Garry to design my Bowie knife w s Damascus blade
I was the first to get him to make a Damascus Blade knife quite some time ago
The good Doc was the initiator of my foray into the stainless damascus and has now opened another door with the carbon damascus this knife has been made from. While I do like the SS damascus with its subtle patterns, this is another step up in contrast.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
The good Doc was the initiator of my foray into the stainless damascus and has now opened another door with the carbon damascus this knife has been made from. While I do like the SS damascus with its subtle patterns, this is another step up in contrast.

Keep working on new designs etc

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ

Keep working on new designs etc

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
now the hammer and forge are going, i await an actual 4 1/2" blade kephart true to the original.
the copies currently available have grinds, thickness, handles, dimensions, and shape untrue to the original.
i am not able to find the hardness of the original, but suspect it could well be under 60 rockwell.
they are not a true hunting knife, but w woodsmans knife which while it will skin and cut meat will do a lot of other things mainly involving chopping.
interesting the guy that just won alone used a kukri.
bruce.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Bruce, I thought you stopped collecting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heike10X77

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J