Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Three Old Westerns and two Light Hunters ready for the glue up. In the clamps now till tomorrow.
IMG_20200909_112402.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Have these ready to sharpen and ship now. Old Westerns with Maple Burl over CB Buffalo horn bolster on the 1095 blade. brass and micarta pins. Hot waxed sheaths border stamped with initials.
2.png

1.png

3.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Had to change the motor on the power hammer today. Was more than a simple bolt inn as the hammer was really built round the 1 hp motor but it was a 5 amp draw and was trying to draw 5.5 amps so kept shutting down. The new motor is a 2 hp unit and was/is substantially larger so it was a bit of a shoehorn effort. Had to shift the hinges mounting plate back about 3 1/2 inches and that necessitated shifting the treddle as well which was all welded i place. The hinged mounting plate was held in with 1/4 in bolst so had to drilll and tap them and the stop plate in thier new positions. I did have to cut a section out of the brace to get the motor back far enough for the belt to tighten on the pulleys from its resting place where the belt was not egaged. Have it all sorted now and just waiting on the sparky to come in and wire it up.
The bolts holding the lower end of the initial pulley bearings had to be taken out, have the heads ground down to half thier thickness to all ow for the capacitor head of the motor to go back as close as possible to the plate brace.

IMG_20200913_105942.jpg

You can see the stop against the mounting plate under the motor so it rests against this rather than the capacitor housing at the top of the motor
IMG_20200913_143633.jpg

All back ready for a belt and awire up again. When repositioning the tredle I also had to cut the old toung off, make a new one and weld it back on again.

IMG_20200913_151207.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Had time to do the handle finishing on these two Light Hunters . One with FB black micarta bolster and liner with cream linen micaarta handles. The other has giraffe bone over CB buffalo horn bolsters
IMG_20200915_163538.jpg

IMG_20200915_163436.jpg

IMG_20200915_163447.jpg

IMG_20200915_163609.jpg

TMac

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
US (AK, WA, OR, MT, WY, SD, NV, UT, NM), Canada (Alberta, BC)
That’s a great look, striking to my eye.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Have been working on a knife that will not be shown till it is delivered to the customer and while the knife is done I am waiting on something for the sheath that will make it a bit more than ordinary so that is why there has not been much posting lately so while I am waiting I started getting ready for the next project which includes a knife to with a leather stack handle so made a couple of cutters to make the leather washers. Used a length of heavy wall tube and heated it in the forge to allow for driving it down over the taper, then flattened the sides slightly and sharpen. The smaller one will cut a lightly ovalled disc that is 1 1/8 by 7/8 for the front and rear handle size and the larger one will cut 1 1/1/4 x 1 for the rest.
IMG_20200920_085538.jpg
IMG_20200920_093429.jpg
IMG_20200920_093523.jpg
IMG_20200920_133619.jpg

ve7poi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member SCI
Hunted
British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
Now you have peaked my curiosity, will be watching for completed knife revealing. I’m sure it will be a special one.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
The leather stack handle is something I havent done and neither have I done something with a fuller in the blade so not having a mill to do the fuller I was a bit hesitant but decided to "have a go anyway". The KA Bar is a knife with a number of firsts not only with the handle and fuller but depending on the state where it is go go to there is the question of having the clip point sharpened or not. First thing was to get a picture of the knife copied to full size according the the specs I found on line and make a pattern to cut the blades from,.
IMG_20200918_152637.jpg

I decided to make two with the potential of mucking up something along the way and in particular with the fuller so with the pair of blades cut out and profiled it was time to try for the fuller.
I bought a 3/8 double cut carbide round burr and set it in the drill press and clamped a couple of bars to the table with everything locked down tight. I used a caliper to measure from the stem of the burr to the bar that would be the guide for the spine of the blade and a piece of tape marked the shoulder of the tang so I could start the cut and the vice grips on the end of the tang would come up against the drill press table to mark the end of the cut. It was a tricky operation as it required about 10 passes per side on both blades and the burr wanted to, and did drag the blade and bit and so the fuller was not a pristine shape as would be the result of using a mill to do the job or one of the special guided hand scrapers which I didnt have either
IMG_20200920_164530.jpg

To try and get some of the "wiggles" out of the fuller, a round file ground back for a sharp end and some improvment was made.
IMG_20200921_101331.jpg

With the blades then preground, heat treated, finish ground and hand sanded, I decided to add them to the ones I was going to stone wash and while the fuller shows it is hand done and less than perfect, I was pleased enough with the result.
IMG_20200922_160042.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
The other blades done today was a new eating knife for when we go into the city once a week and have a meal at one of the hotel dining rooms which like many of these places has knives that are less than I have become used to so I retrieved a reject 15n20 (carbon steel) blade from the drawer and reprofiled it to my table knife pattern. Drilled new handle pin holes and ground it after the heat treat. Have a set of impala jigged buffalo horn scales epoxied and clamped to blue liners overnight for fitting tomorrow.
On the Safari Blade I wanted to try something a bit different and drilled my 3 pin makers mark right through the blade and after heat treat and finish grind, countersunk the holes and peened in brass pinstock. With it also being stone washed, I will be looking at options formthe handle matertila to complement the stone wash with brass.
IMG_20200922_160600.jpg

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Nice, my wife threatened to use her Von Gruff Chefs knife at the table just to try it. Thats the night I cooked.
It's nice you can get out for dinner at a pub. I will be looking for a recommendation if I get to NZ,
Writing this as I'm travelling for work and sitting in a pub waiting for dinner. One I would recommend.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Nice, my wife threatened to use her Von Gruff Chefs knife at the table just to try it. Thats the night I cooked.
It's nice you can get out for dinner at a pub. I will be looking for a recommendation if I get to NZ,
Writing this as I'm travelling for work and sitting in a pub waiting for dinner. One I would recommend.
We go to the Law Courts in Dunedin, it is next door to the old police station and the court house.. Nothing fancy but good food at good price.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Good food at a good price is all I want, I do like an old style Pub atmosphere.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Got one of the handles underway but still have a long way to go yet.
IMG_20200923_142208.jpg

IMG_20200923_165636.jpg

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
garry,
you never stop trying yourself.
the best way for a full life.
a friend if mine came back from vietnam with one of those, and he was very proud of it.
a bit much for skinning rabbits, but that is not what it was meant for.
bruce.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
garry,
you never stop trying yourself.
the best way for a full life.
a friend if mine came back from vietnam with one of those, and he was very proud of it.
a bit much for skinning rabbits, but that is not what it was meant for.
bruce.
Yes indeed, different knives for differing needs. I have a friend who comes in to spend monday mornings in the shed and is quite amazed at the number of different style knives just within a single genre without the wide scope of varied use categories.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Ive still got mine from the late 1980's that I bought when I first went into the army... and a more "modern" one with rubberized handles that I picked up in the early 2000's before heading over to Iraq for a while..

Great design that has stood the test of time and is very effective at what it was designed for..

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A little further on this project. I had one of the handles done with a peened steel end cap but wasn't happy with it so ground it off, removed a few leather pieces and pinned an ebony block in its place yesterday.
IMG_20200923_165636.jpg

IMG_20200928_085624.jpg

Got the shaping done and the grooves filed in today then brushed on two coats of thinned epoxy. Will do another sand off tomorrow and pay some more attention to the end cap then continue with the sheaths which I started this afternoon.
IMG_20200928_142029.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Have this pair done now with the sheaths completed today. I did two in case I mucked up one (only one was ordered) with all the new things I had to do on this type of knife. Not as happy with the handle finish as I could or should be as I did a thinned epoxy brush coat which has given the leather a grey brown rather than a gold brown as most are with just a varnish finish, but it has hardened the leather surface which is the intent so the leather has a bit more protection in daily use I will put a couple of coats of varnish and see if it improves the colour a little.
kb1.png
kb3.png
lb2.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Some time back I got an email from a repeat customer asking if I could/would do a damascus bowie and having done a few stainless damascus display knives for him as well as carbon hard use knives I thought it was time to stretch my skill levels a bit. I was given free reign on the whole build so got an okay on costs and sugested a carbon steel damascus blade with a pattern called the Australian river so to carry on the theme which in my mind is dappled evening sunlight over the river with blackened tree stump and branch . Two slices of bronze for the sunlight, a blued S guard for the blackened branch, a wide ebony spacer for the tree stump and a beautiful piece of lacewood with a grain structure that looks like the contnuation of the river in the evening gloom. Have a piece of crocodile skin for the sheath inlay to continue the river theme and in my mind it all seems to work.
So with that said, here are the components I will be atempting to put together to bring this theme to reality.
He didn't wasnt to see anything till it was finished so while I did post it elsewhere as the build progressed (knifemaking forum) I had not shown any of it here so some of the posts will indicate a time frame that is not relevant to the poists now as the knife is finished
1601444140443.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heike10X77

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J