Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A few more that are ready to shipp off to new homes. The first two were packed up before I got the photo tent out so unfortunate;ly they only have the early morning shots to show the owner. An AH EDC with Gidgee and a Safari with Cherrywood.
IMG_20200824_091748.jpg

An AH EDC with Blister Maple

IMG_0283.JPG

A Mini skinner with Blister Maple

IMG_0285.JPG

A professional Boning Knife with Swamp Kauri

IMG_0286.JPG

and a Hunter Skinner with OD Canvas Micarta.

IMG_0287.JPG

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This is something I want to add to the back of my sheaths but this stamp I ordered is too big at 25mm accross the word knives for the smaller sheaths so I have ordered another one at 15mm and may even standardise on it for all future sheaths. This is on the back of the Hunter Skinner sheath and I hope it may add another layer of maker authentation to my sheaths.
sheath.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
i must say, the hunter skinner with the micarta handles and steel must be owned by a discerning intelligent handsome person.
bruce.
Not sure on the handsome bit Bruce but it is a mountain hunter who wants the reliability of the micarta handle with its 180grit finish for grip in the cold and possibly wet so made the handle a fraction fuller for those circumstances as well.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
garry,
it sounds like you might know him.
that fact alone makes him even more worthy of esteem.
but the choice of knife and style alone is enough of a recommendation.
anyone who owns a knife like that can only be described in glowing terms.
bruce.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Too many options and some nice handle woods/materials.
I do like the stamp on the back. When our investments become heirlooms there will be no question of their heritage.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I have a small supply of giraffe bone in again so that is another option for those looking for something to make their knife a bit special

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I have been playing with design variations for table/steak knives over the last 18 months since I first offered them and this is the final iteration and has been my prefered eating knife for the last 6 - 8 months. It has enough tip to cut any steak or other food on the dinner plate and if a single knife is all that is on the table it has enough belly in the blade to spread butter on a bread roll etc on a side plate. Mine has black linen micarta over red liners on the 12C27 SS blade. I will be upgrading my stainless to NitroV which has a nitrogen addition to allow for higher hardness while retaining the toughness for kitchen, bird and trout and other fishing related knives. The only change I might make to try would be to alter the rear of the handle to a flared end rather than tapered as it is on this one.
IMG_20200827_165619.jpg

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
garry
doesn't it make you grit your teeth at the thought of good blades scratching across plates.
in makes me shiver.
bruce.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Bruce, good point but they can be sharpened.
I like the look of it. The Black shows a lot of the lamination. Character!
I got my knives in the post yesterday. My wifes has a Maroon Linen Micarta. The Maroon would look nice on these but there are many colours so he cannot carry them all.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
garry
doesn't it make you grit your teeth at the thought of good blades scratching across plates.
in makes me shiver.
bruce.
Yes but the days of bread trenchers and even wood plates is long gone. ;)

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Good day in the shed with four knives having the handles on and in the clamps over night. Then I cut these steels and heated the ends so I could do the hollow in a spring fuller. When they had cooled later in the day got the holes drilled and countersunk for the split ring and ready for shaping before heat treat.
Have had a (spec) Hunter skinner on the bench and wanted to do a straigh backed bronze bolster (with buffalo horn handle and as the bolster only has the two pins, they are supposed to be the same material and not having any pinstock, I was in a bit of a bind, so got on with a project I had decided to do some time back for this application. Starting with a piece of 3/8 plate I squared some lines accross it and scored them with the narrow cut off disc then cut the plate in half and drilled and tapped some holes to bolt them together with the scored lines matching up.. With them in the drill press vice I could then drill down from each side with a 1/8 bit to make a die for 4 x 3 1/2 inch long x 1/8 pins. I have got some clean band saw swarf from the bronze bar and a few off cuts. My friend has a small crucible so when she comes back next monday for her half day a week of learning we will smelt the bronz and cast the pins. I have a jewelers draw plate so can draw them down to the needed 3/32 for the bronze bolsters where I dont want the pins to show.
IMG_20200831_164818.jpg
IMG_20200831_164840.jpg
IMG_20200831_164900.jpg
IMG_20200831_164720.jpg

Last edited:

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Got this piece of wire rope today to try some damascus from. It is a 25wire cable with 6 outer and central that was 28mm and swaged to 25mm so very dense. The guy at the wire rope store is going to get me some 16mm next time I am down which should be much more suitable for smaller knives but I will have a play with a piece of this when I have time and see how it forges down.
View attachment 358686

would electrolysis get out any internal imperfections (filth,slag, rust) for a better forge weld? Always wondered this as I watch videos of Damascus gone wrong.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
would electrolysis get out any internal imperfections (filth,slag, rust) for a better forge weld? Always wondered this as I watch videos of Damascus gone wrong.
Dont know about the electrolysis but with every forging process I have seen with the wire rope, the first thing to do is to get the end up to heat and square it and then do the other end which allows for it to be held with one end in the vice and the other with a shifter (adjustable wrench or similar) so the rope twist can be unwound a bit so when it goes back in the heat any filth,slag or rust can be burnt off and then with a sprinkling of flux to float out any of the undesirable stuff and coat the steel to stop oxidisation it can then have the twist tightened up very tight so the first squaring of the length can start the forging down process.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A quick pic of todays leatherwork. Some of these are for knives still on the bench but while doing leather it pays to do as much as I know there is a needs for in the next few days to increase efficiency.
IMG_20200902_172252.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
So these are ready to ship off now. A Light Hunter with gold Tasmanian Blackwood over curve backed brass bolster with copper pins on the (random pattern) stainless damascus. Border stamped sheath with owners initials and steel attached.
C A 1.png

C A 2.png

C A 3.png

This is a very pretty general purpose kitchen knife with the spalted buckeye over the stainless blade

G P 1.png

G P 2.png

And a swamp Kauri handle over the C B buffalo horn bolster on the 1095 HC Safari knife blade.

S 1.png

Attachments

• IMG_0302.JPG
    9.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 39

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Batch of steels finish polished and ready for the split rings.
IMG_20200906_102728.jpg

with these three having the rough grind, hardened and in the tempering oven for the second 2 hr session now
IMG_20200906_102954.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AleidaCoth

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J