AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I can only hope you are wrong. But i have not seen it used that widely in production of anything.
I believe the Cactus juice treatment is widely used.
I beliveve Garry was a carpenter before he retired to become a master craftsmen. Mmm, do Kiwis own any Redgum trees?
The timber block should be well seaoned. I expect that tree was long dead when i removed the block. It then sat in my shed in dry old Western NSW before going to the South Island with a somewhat different climate.
Garry has done his best. If it outlasts him he will be off the hook for warranty work and i will have to find a better timber to revive it.
Its in the post i will update
When it arrived here I put it and the other blocks in the curing oven which can stay on indefinately so with it at 55*c for 4 days I was sure it had no moisture before putting it in the vacuum chamber with the cactus juics and under vacuum for another 4 days although the bubbles has stopped rising after 3 days. Releasing the vacuum I left it sit for a further 6 days for the atmospheric pressure to drive the juice comp;letely through the blocks then drain it and baked it at 90C for two hours to cure it after which it was sanded to check for any flaws and the best block chosen (best in terms of grain and colour as they all came through the process equally well) so it could be cut into scales with the off cut tested for integrity by bending it, and a very thin piece of end grain wood usually breaks at the slightest bend, but this held up to some serious testing before a deliberate stress finally had it give way so I am confident in the handle integrity. Had I been less certain I would have laminated a very thin slice of long grain from one of the other block with that grain oientation but believe it was not necessary in this case.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
When it arrived here I put it and the other blocks in the curing oven which can stay on indefinately so with it at 55*c for 4 days I was sure it had no moisture before putting it in the vacuum chamber with the cactus juics and under vacuum for another 4 days although the bubbles has stopped rising after 3 days. Releasing the vacuum I left it sit for a further 6 days for the atmospheric pressure to drive the juice comp;letely through the blocks then drain it and baked it at 90C for two hours to cure it after which it was sanded to check for any flaws and the best block chosen (best in terms of grain and colour as they all came through the process equally well) so it could be cut into scales with the off cut tested for integrity by bending it, and a very thin piece of end grain wood usually breaks at the slightest bend, but this held up to some serious testing before a deliberate stress finally had it give way so I am confident in the handle integrity. Had I been less certain I would have laminated a very thin slice of long grain from one of the other block with that grain oientation but believe it was not necessary in this case.
Noted, it was always at your discretion

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I have a new offering for the forum members with a special export pack of the scary sharp sharpening system that I worked out with the manufacturer today with the first one in hand that will be heading to Zimbabwe at some stage. I will do a video on the setting up of the system as it will be sebnt beeding assembly and I will offer it with sharpening stones or without for those who want to make use of prefered stone from their own local hardware or specialty store.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Ive seen that on your you tube channel.
Its pretty heavy duty and will maintain angles after miles of use being it is quite rigid due to the design, material and construction .
I recieved my tracking number for knives as i was travelling all day then this pops up.
I hope you sell a ton of them.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
redgum makes good railway sleepers.
carrying trains for 50 to 100 yrs in all weather conditions might suggest some merit.
also, when polished it is really nice to look at.
its use as a stock wood is to be avoided due to lack of stability, but it sounds like garry has dealt with that.
jarrah is a bit in the same boat.
bruce.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Garry has dealt with it. Im hoping the small cross section of it and the stabilising proves that.
Im not going in the snow with it and hers is not going in tbe dishwasher so hopefully we are good.
Problem is that it does polish up nice and i like it.
I might like it even better when i see it.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
redgum makes good railway sleepers.
carrying trains for 50 to 100 yrs in all weather conditions might suggest some merit.
also, when polished it is really nice to look at.
its use as a stock wood is to be avoided due to lack of stability, but it sounds like garry has dealt with that.
jarrah is a bit in the same boat.
bruce.
I have some Jarrah here that I have used for a number of handles and in a bolster on my personal general purpose kitchen knife and a full handle on a large butcher knife that have not been effected by time or use so Jarrah is a viable handle wood.
As an asside I spent a season in the bush cutting railway sleepers ('78 or 79 not sure which now) The "sleeper saw" had a small ford motor on it and the 48 inch blade had a water dribble to keep it cool. The sack skirt betyween the wheels was to stop the throw back of the smaller flitches but dont recall any that caused real trouble. We had a contract with the forest and cut what they marked as needing to be taken out so had all the gums, turpentine, ironbark and a few bloodwood trees to cut from. If there was a few days of hard cutting to clear trees that didn';t return a lot in the way of sleepers we would sometimes ""see"" the paint mark on a few big tall blue'ies and get up to 6 billets high to keep our returns in the exceptable numbers. Did both railway and cane train sleepers. Was a great experience but often started at 5am so we could finish by 2pm for the heat. Pic has been transfered from an old photograph so thankfully it is a bit blured
sleeper cutting 78.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This pair of knives or in particular the first one was left to my choice of handle material and the customer didn't even want to see pictures before I sent it off so he could be surprised when the package was opened, so with it being delivered today I can now post it for you. It is the PH EDC with spalted buckeye with black micarta pins over the 3 SS pin CB buffalo horn bolster on a 1095 blade.
IMG_0231.JPG

The second is the Old Western with Eucalyptus over 3 pin CB buffalo horn bolsters on the 1095 blade.
Old Western.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A 4x4 Hunter and this one with spalted Buckeye over CB bronze bolster on the stone washed 1084 blade
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
4x4.png

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
if i ever lose my hunter/skinner i will just have to replace it with the 4x4 hunter.
Yes Chris's needs made for a very usable little knife with a blade that will do a lot of work. This one is for my agent who will add it to others ( and a scary sharp system) for the gun show and craft type events he attends with them and his own business offerings

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
All good, it varies. I said Bruce was Lurking by the mailbox once his was on the mainland. This is Karma come to bite me for poking fun at him.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
These few had a finish grind after lunch and ready for hand sanding which I also got done this afternoon. A safari, Hunter skinner, 2 mini skinners and another 2 AH EDC's. I get to use some of the blister maple on a couple of them and another 2 I get to make the choice of handle material
IMG_20200817_152520.jpg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings
Sugar4646 wrote on Warpig602's profile.
Hey boss wanted to inquire about the .308 rifle you have for sell can you send me payment information. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.