My African Knives

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Von Gruff, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Von Gruff

Von Gruff GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Thanks guys. I will wait for a week after I finish and post pics of Dr Rays knife for any others who might be interested and get in the required number of bars at the same time

2. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Finally have @Dr Ray s knives finished and have to say I am reasonably pleased with them
    Damascus Light Hunter with flat backed buffalo horn bolster and fancy walnut on the raindrop pattern stainless damascus. Modified Buffalo Skinner with curve backed 3 pin buffalo horn bolster and stabilised exhibition spalted eucalyptus in the ladder pattern stainless damascus
    IMG_20190617_153913.jpg IMG_20190617_153847.jpg IMG_20190617_153825.jpg IMG_20190617_153935.jpg IMG_20190617_153950.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2019

3. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Now that’s a knife
    Remind you of Paul Hogan?
    Very nice!
    Looking forward to getting them!

Von Gruff likes this.

4. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Might have to try I guess!
    Expect them next week.

Von Gruff and 375 Ruger Fan like this.

5. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Will Be ordering more of the damascus bars this week so now is the time to let me know if anyone else would like to have a DLH (Damascus Light Hunter) in the raindrop pattern stainless. Email me ( vongruff@gmail.com ) with bolster, handle material and sheath (right or left handed) preferences

6. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    A Safari Knife with brass and buffalo horn on the 1095 blade is away on todays courier
    IMG_20190623_123316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019

7. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    I had a tag end of 1075 so decided to make a pattern for a camp knife/butcher knife. I had made myself one a long time back with a 8 1/2 inch blade for dicing meat etc when breaking down an animal but found it was more blade than I needed so thought this one with a 5 1/5 in blade would be more user friendly
    IMG_20190612_180431.jpg
    I had a bowie marked out as well so had the two of them to do
    1075 blades for hamon 1.jpg
    Ground and ready for heat treat
    1075 blades for hamon 2.jpg
    I wanted to try for a hamon so mixed up some very fine potters clay (for slip mix usually) with some wood ash and applied it to the blade.
    1075 blades for hamon 3.jpg
    I know in hindsight that I had way too much on there which lead to the less than successfull hamon but at least there is the showing of one on the camp knife. The bowie not so much 1075 blades fo hamon 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019

8. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    For the handle on the camp/butcher knife I started with a copper bolster and added black paper micarta, some blue G10 and another blaco paper micarta spacer before finishing with the walnut handle
    IMG_20190626_083742.jpg
    IMG_20190626_094023.jpg
    IMG_20190626_161719.jpg IMG_20190626_161733.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019

9. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    The bowie had almost zero hamon so I decided to re grind it as a fuul flat grind and give it a different treatment and have it sitting with a mustard etch for a couple of hours so will post more on this one tomorrow when I see how it has etched.

10. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    What some folks can do with a piece of scrap!! BTW what is "hamon?" I'm not familiar with that term.

11. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    A hamon is the wavy line along the blade cause by the differential quenching between the clayed and unclayed parts of the blade.

Shootist43 likes this.

12. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Not had a lot to post lately athough I did get 3 Safari knives away on todays courier. I forgot to take pics but that is probably because I have had another couple of projects on the go. Have been busy helping the painter do the prep work on a few rooms in our home so that has kept me away from the shed more than I like athough it has given me time to work through the details on a special project that is slowly comming together.
    One of the gunshops here has asked me to do 4 presentation boxes three with a 1911 Colt, mag and some ammo with one of my posket ranger knives. Pistol and knife to have ebony handles with the fourth box to have a US navy engraved Beretta M9.
    There will be the Spartan Molon Labe symbol etched onto brass discs to be inlaid into the knife and pistol woodwork with a larger one on the box along with my makers mark and a tag with my details plus one with the shop details engraved on it.
    I have started to make the boxes from macrocarpa (Monterey cypress) and they will be lined with blue felt.
    I picked up the first of the etched discs but have the tags and more discs to still be done.
    The smaller discs are 18mm and the larger one is 50mm diameter. IMG_20190711_124128.jpg

13. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    Never a more fitting time for that phrase for your country! I hope that (but fear they are) the handguns are not demilled and just display pieces. I’m assuming that semi-auto handguns made the top 20 list by the politicians in NZ!

14. rinehart0050

rinehart0050 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, AZ, TX)
    Sounds like an awesome project. Looking forward to how it all comes together

Von Gruff likes this.

15. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    The handgun has not been effected by the confiscation process so they will be for working guns even if they are show pieces. As they leave my shed the boxes will contain the knife and a set of grips for the 1911 or the M9 with either the gunshop or customer supplying the pistol, mag and ammo. This way I am not restricted in who I make these for. Any sold here in NZ will be through the gunshop (Kelly Country, Brightwater NZ) while any that are ordered from off shore through me will be sent direct as I would for any other knife.

16. IdaRam

IdaRam BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Awesome project and very timely! I hope you will post pics when completed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Von Gruff likes this.

17. IdaRam

IdaRam BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    By the way, Eric brought the “His and Hers” knives in that you did for him and Holly. Beautiful! He was beyond thrilled and very grateful you got them done and delivered before the trip they have planned. Excellent job :)

Von Gruff likes this.

18. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Picked up the rest of the discs and tags today and this wi be a set for one box.
    IMG_20190712_155935.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:32 AM

19. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    After further discussion with Shane from Kelly country I am going to do the three knife handles and 1911 grip sets in different woods as a "this is some of what we can offer example", so after the call, I had a time of reflection on the different wood colours and it seems that they may be best shown against different coloured box linings so I have decided (I will tell Shane later :whistle:)the first set with ebony will have the box lined with the blue, the second set will be with walnut with green box lining and the third set will be the fiddle back macrocarpa shown above and that will show best against the red lined box.
    IMG_20190715_084337.jpg