CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Happy Hunting,
I'm liking the scalloped handle look.

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Happy Hunting,
I'm liking the scalloped handle look.
Thanks Chris. There have been a few of the scolloped handles since I did the first one and they are surprisingly comfortable with the finger tips finding natural position in the lower scollops on the apropriate side and that they have an nice visual which adds a little something that the plain canvas micarta lacks.

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Unfortunately I can no loonger offer the possibility of giraffe bones for knife handles.

After a very long and somewhat frustrating series of events the giraffe bone that was started on its journey fro SA in feb has finally ended with it being siezed for destruction by NZ customs. There was delays in finding a shipping agent who would carry them from SA and the cites permit was not updated before it left so it had expired 5 days before it arrived here and the forwarding agent was another 8 weeks before they got on to it and presented it to customs which was all that they needed to sieze them. Have been in almost constant communication with them over the last few weeks along with my friend who sent them from SA and they have been obnoxious in thier refusal to allow for an updated permit to be presented.

VertigoBE

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa
Unfortunately I can no loonger offer the possibility of giraffe bones for knife handles.

After a very long and somewhat frustrating series of events the giraffe bone that was started on its journey fro SA in feb has finally ended with it being siezed for destruction by NZ customs. There was delays in finding a shipping agent who would carry them from SA and the cites permit was not updated before it left so it had expired 5 days before it arrived here and the forwarding agent was another 8 weeks before they got on to it and presented it to customs which was all that they needed to sieze them. Have been in almost constant communication with them over the last few weeks along with my friend who sent them from SA and they have been obnoxious in thier refusal to allow for an updated permit to be presented.

I feel sorry for all the headaches this has caused you.

There is nothing worse than giving a nobody a little bit of power. They all become instant psychopaths.

Is there other bond that could work too? I once heard of knife handles made from wildebeest bone?

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I feel sorry for all the headaches this has caused you.

There is nothing worse than giving a nobody a little bit of power. They all become instant psychopaths.

Is there other bond that could work too? I once heard of knife handles made from wildebeest bone?
I can get camel bone but it is cut into scales and needs a liner under it to give it the needed thickness but that is usually black and the contrast is visually very pleasing. In Kitchen knives without bolsters it works very well and with black bolster on hunting knives it is very nice indeed.
20220213_134722.jpg

20220213_135144.jpg

20220503_162546.jpg

20220503_164237.jpg

20221005_142241.jpg

geoff rath

AH fanatic
Reaction score

Steve Konieczny

·

I remember being broke for Christmas one year after food shopping and paying the bills and wrote a post dated check to make sure I could provide a good Christmas for my family.I’ve lived as high and as low as it’s possible to go. There were times I’d put $10 worth of gas in my tank and other times $50. I’ve had $5 to just feed myself and I’ve also had $200 to go out to eat. I’ve had a house full of food and times I didn’t have any. I’ve been in stores cashing out with no worries and I’ve also had to add it up and put things back on the shelf. I’ve paid my bills in full and I’ve had to pay them late too. I’ve given money and I too have had to ask for it.
We all have highs and lows in life. Some certainly more than others, but we are all just trying to make it.
No one is better than anyone else and my heart is sad for those people who think that they are. No matter how big your house is, how new your car is, or how much money sits in your bank account - we all bleed red and will eventually fade from this earth. Death has no discrimination and neither should your life.
Be kind to others. We are all here to serve. Stop the power tripping. Your oversized ego won’t get you anywhere.
Be humble. And keep faith going.
Very few will actually read this far, but if you’re genuine I challenge you to copy. Most won’t, because they’re the type of people I’m talking about.
1f4af.png

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A Hunter skinner in 1084 with jarrah habndle scales in closed top sheath with honing steel. A bit of texturing and stamping on the sheath.
20221207_112826.jpg

A 1095 Tahr Hunter with jimping and a spalted Buckeye handle over CB buffalo horn bolsters in closed top sheath with edge stamping.
This one for sale. PM for details.

20221207_112536.jpg

A 1095 Old Western Hunter with Cherry Burl over CB buffalo horn in closed top sheath with edge stamping.

This one for sale. PM for details.

20221207_112741.jpg

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A new butcher knife for me. Cryo quenched 9 inch nitroV blade with stainless bolster, stainless and G10 spacers and a G10 liner under the Honduran Rosewood handle.
20221208_162642.jpg

20221208_161845.jpg

20221208_162746.jpg

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
These three Buffalo skiners have best grade Walnut over buffalo horn curve back bolsters on 1075 HC blades with engraved names in closed top sheaths with edge stamping and an attached honing steel.
20221211_093341.jpg

20221209_150806.jpg

20221211_093211.jpg

20221209_150735.jpg

20221209_150713 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
My new knives got a workout yesterday. I had scheduled 3 days for a high country hunt but the first day I got 2 goats and a red deer hind so that will top up the freezer for a while. Pleased with the knives performance but the hills were steeper than I want to repeat especially for getting the hind carried out. Will do a hunt report with a few pics later.

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Some very nice knives! Too bad the govt grabbed the Giraffe bone to destroy it- I guess destroying it means it is preserved.

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Some very nice knives! Too bad the govt grabbed the Giraffe bone to destroy it- I guess destroying it means it is preserved.
Yeah. it breeds more of them :mad:

wolfhunter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Very interesting, I have thought about making knives when I retire a couple years away. Would you be selling this one when you are done?

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
those buffalo skiners are quite nice! are they available?
All my knives are commissions so those are already at thier new home but you can always message me about one for yourself and be able to choose the handle material and sheath configuration.

Inline6

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
those buffalo skiners are quite nice! are they available?
@Von Gruff does nice work. I would suggest you reach out to him in a PM. You will have options you did not know about. If it helps, the knifes are working art. We are please with what we have received and looking forward to the ones on order.

Von Gruff

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
@Von Gruff does nice work. I would suggest you reach out to him in a PM. You will have options you did not know about. If it helps, the knifes are working art. We are please with what we have received and looking forward to the ones on order.
Your set in this lot.
All through the heat treat and ready for grinding. Four sets of the K-tip chef knives (i four piece set and 3 x 3 piece sets) and 3 Tahr Hunters. The K tips will be ground in when the hand sanding is done.
I did get the Tahr hunters, the 10 in and 4 x 8 inch blades finish ground today so the others will be done tomorrow then it is a few days hand sanding. Some willgo in the ready drawer but 2 of the chef sets and one of the Tahr hunters are to be finished to complete orders.

20221218_091013.jpg

wolfhunter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello I figured out the web site I have also decided to go with a buffalo skinner border stamping on sheath initials, curved black buffalo, walnut handle initials on blade. so far. not sure if it is for me or my granddaughter. I just bought a rifle and scope. tempory set back. for the knife order will get things going in 2-3 weeks thanks Kevin Erickson Minnesota USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildmantn

Latest profile posts

Inline6 wrote on Chris Sells's profile.
PM me when you get a chance, have a few questions for you.
steve white wrote on Pheroze's profile.
Pheroze: I was intrigued by the blog on 400, 465 H&H in which you stated you were having a rifle reamed out to accomodate the larger bore. Who is doing the work for you, do they then provide cut rifling or buttoned. Will a 375 H&H rechamber to the 400 H&H. Is there much ballistic difference between it and the 404/375
My Most beautiful Trophy

IMG_20230125_071102_530.jpg
Bush Duiker shot in the free state just shy of 6 inch

1674577328003.jpg
DonT wrote on OLB's profile.
Just checking to see if you got the second package of shells I sent you?
Don