Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
The San mai blade I re-ground down from a saber grind J T Ranger to a FF grind to better show the san main line came out nicely as well. Spalted buckeye bolster with walnut scales.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
I have been following this thread in much the same way people wait for the next episode of their favorite TV show. Can't wait for the next "episode"!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I have been following this thread in much the same way people wait for the next episode of their favorite TV show. Can't wait for the next "episode"!
May be a while Chris. Orders have dried up. May have exhausted the membership here.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Nah. Were just giving you a couple days off before the New Year rush starts. :)
There is a few chores I have to get done this month so appreciate the thoughtful approach.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

VertigoBE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa
What did you have in mind?

Well, as most AH members already know, not only your knives are of extreme quality, so is your leatherwork.

I was thinking about pouches, scope carriers, etc.

Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
While I could, and have done them for myself, I am not sure I would be into going commercial with them as there is such a variety of sizes etc that the pattern and trial making would take them out of any practical return.

VertigoBE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa
While I could, and have done them for myself, I am not sure I would be into going commercial with them as there is such a variety of sizes etc that the pattern and trial making would take them out of any practical return.
Very understandable Gary.

If you have new things you would like to try out, do not hesitate to let AH know :)

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
May be a while Chris. Orders have dried up. May have exhausted the membership here.
I don't think thats the case. Are there any shops locally that you could market to?

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I don't think thats the case. Are there any shops locally that you could market to?
I do to a couple but one is relocating to a new area so it will be a while till they are set up and going again.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A couple finished this morning. A Bearded Chef with dyed giraffe bone on the NitroV SS blade and a PH EDC with Koa over CB bronze bolsters on the 1075 blade.
IMG_0918.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Some new Karelian Birch handle blocks arrived from the Ukraine this morning. I am quite partial to the gold flecks in the blue and green blocks with the red and black will have a varieagated finish that will make a nice visual on the handle..
Karelian Birch.png

another pair of the Tasmanian blackwood blocks also arrived.

20220119_084045.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I hope to have an exciting re supply of much desired material in a few weeks if all goes according to plan.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A set for a friend / worker in the inward goods section of a natural/organic store and the lever is often used for wood boxes where the nipple nose is used against the side of cardboard boxes to prevent over penetration against the product packaging inside. The knot hook is not sharpened as in a gut hook but is used to get into knots where produce is tied with rope/string. This set is dreived from my light rescue set.

20220123_135719.jpg

20220123_135803.jpg

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
This is mostly to vonGruff, but anyone can reply: The knives that I've received all have an exotic wood handle and I'm wondering what is used to protect the wood, primarily from dishwater when they are being hand washed.

and regarding an order, I'm giving serious thought to that thick bladed knife- I forget the name.

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
This is mostly to vonGruff, but anyone can reply: The knives that I've received all have an exotic wood handle and I'm wondering what is used to protect the wood, primarily from dishwater when they are being hand washed.

and regarding an order, I'm giving serious thought to that thick bladed knife- I forget the name.
Dont put good knives in the dishwasher. The heat dulls them and you may damage the handle.

Timber handles are stabilised bit not suitable for the dishwasher.

Handles are glued with resin. Repeated use of a dishwasher or exposure to heat affects this.

Gary explained this well in a recent thread but many would be aware of the basic rule do not put good knives in the dishwasher.

My Wife's Von Gruff Micarta handled knife is used daily and has only ever been hand washed or wiped clean. And it never gets lost because it's right by the sink.

We have plenty of commercial knives that work for intended purpose's but the Von Gruff 5-1/2" chefs knife has a nice handle and balance. Having trouble loading image.
Garry those are some real beauties! @Just Gina loves her bearded chef knife :)

I'm kinda partial to the little paring knife as I get to peel potatoes;)

So Action Bob does that make you the apprentice in the kitchen?

Wait, what? She cooks, and hunts? Congratulations, well played..

Perhaps @Just Gina will give us a rundown on how the Bearded Chef knife is used.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

there should not be a need to do more than wipe the handle over with warm damp dishrag while the blade is being cared for. A knife should stay in hand while being cleaned and this "rule" prevents it from being placed in the sink (where it could cut hands badly while groping for it) or where overly hot water is. . All the exhibition grade handles have been stabilised with resins under great pressure then baked into the celular structure of the wood so that alone is protection against water damage. I apply an extra finish but any good furniture or floor wax will keep the handle looking good almost forever.

Not sure which "thick bladed" knife you mean but if you can see it on my website we certainly can talk..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matandanderson

Latest profile posts

Member: NRA Life

Hunt: Alaska-Canada-NM
geoff rath wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
G'day Bob,
Just had a yarn with A G, and he has filled me in on how much work he puts in to such developments, referencing QuikLoad, tightening tolerances, load development, range testing. He indicated that of you wish to contact him directly he can go into details far better than I.
If you wish , contact him directly, he has given the OK for me to pass that on.
Hunt: Alaska, Canada, Mexico and USA: particularly the Western states.
Hi,
Going through and old thread I see you mentioned having a William Douglas double in 470NE for sale. Just touching base to see if you sold the rifle, or if it was still for sale?
Regards,
Chris
(Wollongong, NSW)
Hi Chris
Yes, I still have it
Cheers
Steve
Erin Lockwood wrote on Laurine88's profile.
Hi again do you think you could message me your email or some other way to contact you, I've been having error messages trying to send messages via private conversations to you since last night, sorry!