Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
With that done I cut a section off a leaf spring.
IMG_20210831_135303.jpg

A put a short length of 2 x 1/4 mild into the forge and started the bend on it
IMG_20210831_135808.jpg

A couple of heats and it was the right shape
IMG_20210831_140503.jpg

The piece of leaf spring was into the forges and straightened then a tack weld to hold it in the right place between the wings of the eye
and the heat to welding temp had it stuck in place and starting to form down.
IMG_20210831_142411.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A bit more heat and hammer had it forge welded together and could use the drift I made to shape the eye.
IMG_20210831_144050.jpg

A bit more shape and it was starting to look like the intended object although not as neat and finished as those that do a lot of forging have them and even the proportions were not really ad well done as I might have liked but for a first atempt was pleased enough
IMG_20210831_152615.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
so now it needed a handle and a well grained piece of recycled Rimu was cut as a starting point
IMG_20210831_154653.jpg

Got some shaping lines drawn on for a 23 inch OAL to allow for a bit more swing and impact than the short hatchet handles will give.
IMG_20210831_155053.jpg

Cut out and started the hafting process

IMG_20210831_161128.jpg

Finished the shaping and wedged the head and added some B L O sharpened it and had something that can sit in the truck as part of the few tools and bits and pieces I like to keep in case some help is needed on the road for me or someone else in a spot of strife.

IMG_20210831_164519.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This is one I did some time back and have just got the full edit on the video done.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This one away in the morning. A 4x4 Hunter with both the horrozontal sheath (10 degrees down for security) and the standard behind the hip sheath. 4 inch blade of 1084 with curve back buffalo horn and exhibition walnut. black micarta pins in handle with my 3 pin brass mark in the bolster.

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Yes it looks spectacular with the Buffalo horn and Walnut. Apart from that Gary does a great job.
He went to a lot of trouble to develop the design. Various ideas were discussed and changed in regard to the blade and dimensions with Gary being the designer and me being the fussy customer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Does the tassel at the base of the handle serve a function?
The customer was concerned about knife security so the knife is very deep set into the horrozontal sheath so the lanyard is an assist to remove it with the til being able totuck behind the belt althouth it is longer than what I usualy do at about an inch past the bead so Justin can cut it shorter if he finds it is longer than needed.

Justin.

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United Kingdom
Yes it looks spectacular with the Buffalo horn and Walnut. Apart from that Gary dies a great job.
He went to a lot of trouble to develop the design. Various ideas were discussed and changed in regard to the blade and dimensions with Gary being the designer and me being the fussy customer.
I couldn’t agree more! I’ve never owned a knife 1/10 the knife that this knife is so was quite nervous about how to approach it, and Gary made it such an enjoyable process and really went the extra mile to make sure I got the perfect knife for me! Couldn’t be more pleased! And I pick up the rifle Monday that he matched the wood on the handle to the stock and can’t wait to show you all how perfectly he did it!

@Von Gruff thank you again!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Was getting low on leather and an order of two shoulders turned up this morning so should be set for a few more sheaths.
20210923_091511.jpg

Justin.

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United Kingdom
Justin, don't you "owe" us photos of your new rifle and Von Gruff knife?
Knife is in transit and FedEx did some unspeakable things to that rifle despite being packed in a heavy aluminum rifle case, insurance claim being submitted today! Absolutely heartbroken to say the least…

If I ever win the lottery, FedEx will be purchased and dissolved LOL!

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Sorry to hear that Justin. I know the feeling. The exact same thing happened to me. The rifle's stock was broken through the wrist. In my case the commercial cardboard packaging appeared to be undamaged, just normal rub marks etc. In my case, everything eventually turned out just fine. As the very proud owner of a number of Von Gruff knives, I can assure you that you will be more than happy with the utility and beauty Garry builds into them.

Justin.

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear that Justin. I know the feeling. The exact same thing happened to me. The rifle's stock was broken through the wrist. In my case the commercial cardboard packaging appeared to be undamaged, just normal rub marks etc. In my case, everything eventually turned out just fine. As the very proud owner of a number of Von Gruff knives, I can assure you that you will be more than happy with the utility and beauty Garry builds into them.
Just sent you a PM, these photos of the rifle are to graphic to post….

I’ve never been so sure of a purchase before, all the talk on here and photos of his work had me absolutely sold!!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Just sent you a PM, these photos of the rifle are to graphic to post….

I’ve never been so sure of a purchase before, all the talk on here and photos of his work had me absolutely sold!!
so that beautiful rifle you showed me in our PM discussion is not going to be usable for your upcoming hunt. Regardless of the outcome of your insurance claim, not being able to take it on your hunt is a serious added injury.

Justin.

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United Kingdom
so that beautiful rifle you showed me in our PM discussion is not going to be usable for your upcoming hunt. Regardless of the outcome of your insurance claim, not being able to take it on your hunt is a serious added injury.
Exactly, absolutely crushed. Would’ve loved to have the memory of it being the gun my best friend used to take his first game animal. I’ll be comforted by the fact that the beauty of its stock lives on in the knife I’ll be carrying with me when we are on that hunt!

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Four ready to go with a very nice piece of Spalted Maple Burl for this light hunter over the curve back buffalo horn bolsters on the 1084 carbon steel blade.
IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

and as noted elsewhere, three africa Hunting Forum EDC's
IMG_0812.JPG

Top is Karelian Birch, then Maple burl and Koa on NitroV stainless blades.
20210930_135342.jpg

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Got a nice package with 10 scale sets each of bone, horn and acrylic in this morning. Bone is dyed a very nice royal blue and brown, the acrylic is black and blue and the horn is buff horn for bolsters.
Will get a few pics up later as I have a few knives on the bench with some of each as they have asked me to do a table at the locaal heritage day (7th nov) so I have a couple of weeks to get enough done to make it worthwhile. I do have some that were in the local shop as the lady wh has that goes up north for the cold months and got caught in the flue lockdown so she hasn't been back to put them back in the shop so with them (about 12) some from the ready drawer that need handles and some I have ground out over the last two days. Have got them hardened this afternoon and into the liquid nitrogen for the cryo quench so hope to get the bevels ground in tomorrow so if all goes according to plan there should be at least 30 for the table if I add a few of my own ones to show the widest range of styles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daktari’s-Mfalme

Latest profile posts

NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg
Global Rescue - Worldwide Emergency Evacuation & Field Rescue, Anytime Anywhere

global-rescue.jpg
Special 10% Off On Taxidermy For AfricaHunting Members 2021

taxidermy-in-texas.jpg
TROPHY SHIPPERS - You Enjoy Your Hunt, We'll Get Your Trophies Home

hunting-trophy-shipper.jpg