Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I purchased a 404 Jeffery from LonD (an AH member) several months back. It took me a while to get my loading bench set up, dies and components purchased etc. but "we" my new 404 Jeff and I made it to a range last week. My reloading data was furnished by VonGruff. For the time being the rifle is equipped with iron sights. Depending on my next trip to the range which will probably include some 100 yard shooting and the advice of my outfitter re shot distances most likely I may not put a scope on it. I put two shots onto a target placed at 25 yds. They were off center to be sure but they were overlapping. I then moved to a 50 yd. target and began adjusting the NECG aperture sight as needed. Just small moves as I had no idea what the what the resultant change in POI would be. After a number of shots I posted a fresh target and began shooting at it. Did I mention that my shoulder was beginning to "hurt" a little. The attached target shows three shots by me and two by my youngest son. While I think I can do better, I'm happy with the results so far.
DSCN1630.JPG

Looks great! Do you mind sharing load info?

Happy practicing.

Not at all. VonGruff said it was the best load for accuracy he'd come across. I used new Norma brass, Federal Large Rifle Magnum Primers, 400 Gr. Swift A Frame bullets and 83 Gr. of H4350 powder. VonGruff's velocity was 2300 FPS. We both used 24" barrels I did not have a chrony with me but I'm assuming it is in that vicinity.

Nice! Congrats on the purchase

Not at all. VonGruff said it was the best load for accuracy he'd come across. I used new Norma brass, Federal Large Rifle Magnum Primers, 400 Gr. Swift A Frame bullets and 83 Gr. of H4350 powder. VonGruff's velocity was 2300 FPS. We both used 24" barrels I did not have a chrony with me but I'm assuming it is in that vicinity.

Thanks for sharing.

Your welcome, that is what AH is all about.

Nice! Ready for buff I’d say!

Happy to see you enjoying the new rifle!

That is wonderful, I would thrilled with such results so fast. All you need now are some big critters to stretch that smile.

Art she looks great on target for sure! I can see you dropping plent of game with that kind of accuracy! Bring it to KC and let's go to the range!

Nice shooting. Another 404J load I came across on the net is 78gr H4350 will give approx 2150fps. I haven't had a chance to try it in my 404J yet, but it might be worth a try to give the shoulder a bit of relief.

Excellent shooting. One of my all time favorite calibers.

That's a perfect load! It sounds like it will be a great buff load! My .416 Ruger duplicates that velocity and bullet weight... but sadly with more pressure and no where near as much class. Great Shooting! Keep it up!

I have a lead sled. Trouble is, I can't carry it around in the field. I'm more concerned with "practical accuracy" than sub MOA groups for large bore rifles. After I get a little more comfortable with the rifle, I'll begin shooting it off sticks. After all is said and done, "that is where the rubber meets the road."

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought the general consensus was lead sleds and scopes combined was a bad idea. I also like the practical accuracy theory. Wonderful caliber and load. Cheers

Per request here is a photo of my 404 Jeffery. It was provided to me prior to purchasing it by Lon Denny's good friend Dan Grey. I called CZ to find out what I could about it. The rifle was built in March of 2006 using Fancy Wood. The rifle was later sent off to New England Custom Gun for a new front and rear sight.
404 (1).JPG

Hey dad your 404 shot well but your 416 Rigby shot better, how about sharing some love for the Rigby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg