my 404 Jeffery - finally

bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
so I've been holding out on posting this until I received the license in my hands.

I FINALLY found and purchased a 404 Jeffery CZ550 safari classic to match my 416 Rigby and 375 h&h also in CZ550.

I will shoot the 404 Jeff on the weekend and then take her to my gunsmith on Monday for my usual work.

I can not describe how happy I am to finally find one here in South Africa.

pictures only once she is finished at the gunsmith :D

Congrats on joining the club. Looking forward to the pics.(y)

Excellent!

will post afte shooting her tomorrow

Congrats, let us know how she shoots.

so after a quick range session .

with the target placed at 50m the rifle shot dead on , I was more interested in the re-loads , the seller gave me 100 woodleigh 400g bullets and I wanted to check his loads .

I loaded 4 swift A frame bullets (400g) and his woodleighs shot at 2350 fps and my swifts shot at 2150 fps.

I need to discover what the best load is for my rifle after she returns from my gunsmith.

I should lose some speed after cutting the barrel.

I loved how the 404 Jeffery shoots and she is definitely tamer than my 416 Rigby.

sounds good, how long will it be at the gunsmiths?
spike , I am fortunate that another of my rifles was in the queue at the gunsmith and he was about to start with it,so I asked him to put that rifle ( a 6.5x55) on hold and to begin the 404 Jeff.

I assume and i am hoping under 2 weeks but as it is peak hunting season here in SA the gunsmiths are very busy at the moment.

Cutting the barrel?!?!?! Blasphemy!:eek: How much? I left mine at 24". Going to scope it?
I sure like the way a .404 shoots.

just returned from a hunt in Limpopo , with all the recent rain the bush was extremely thick and the hunting was tough but successful

I am hoping to have the 404 Jeff for my next hunt at the end of the month.

I'm still nothing thinking you actually have a .404.

I call BS.

So. Where's the pix? :whistle:

I'm still nothing thinking you actually have a .404.

I call BS.

So. Where's the pix? :whistle:

it's funny how every forum has one of them !

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the finished product, and the groups. Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure it will bring a lifetime of happiness (all the 404 shooters love the caliber) so I'm guessing there must be something to it. Again, congrats.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, and the groups. Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure it will bring a lifetime of happiness (all the 404 shooters love the caliber) so I'm guessing there must be something to it. Again, congrats.

thanks 35bore for the wishes , the rifle is taking longer than expected as my gunsmith is fully booked and behind on work here in SA .

I don't want to put him under pressure as he has enough already.

I promise to post pics when the rifle is finished.

doc404 and others please assist :

what is the favored bullet speed of the 404 Jeff with regards to Swift A frames and Woodleigh with 400g ?

I have mailed both swift and woodleigh however neither have answered.

my thoughts are around 2200fps , your comments are appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg