My .375 H&H all redone

And here's alittle extra on the gun. As in the buttstock where the lead was added. They also added some to the forearm to maintain the balance. It is balanced beautifully.

3DCA2A7D-0FEB-4A17-A23B-0DE8582E4E37.jpg

And it was glass bedding at the same time. Very clean good work. My cousin sold me this rifle, I knew I was getting it for a great price but this gun turned out to be an even better buy.

08C5435F-44C9-4D3F-91A0-82BD918A6BFE.jpg

Attachments

• 3DCA2A7D-0FEB-4A17-A23B-0DE8582E4E37.jpg
    3DCA2A7D-0FEB-4A17-A23B-0DE8582E4E37.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 174
  • 08C5435F-44C9-4D3F-91A0-82BD918A6BFE.jpg
    08C5435F-44C9-4D3F-91A0-82BD918A6BFE.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:
And the story behind it. I've had dreams Africa as far back as I can remember. Probably as a kid to teenager I dreamt of hunting the dark continent. Not such where it came from, my dads never been and he never pushed it on me. The thought was all my own.

So when I turned 19 probably I was looking for a good larger caliber. Already had a .270. But then my uncle said his cousin had a nice .375 H&H for sale that would be perfect for moose.

I didn't even need to hold it to know I wanted it. Just something about a .375 H&H, its regal, its steeped in tradition. The thoughts dance through head of a "one" gun that's good for any animal that walks this planet, the adventure that would follow.

I met my cousin and met the gun. Each having more character and history then the other as the evening and stories progressed. Turns out my cousin was working in the Queen charlottes island logging back in the early 1960s.

He wanted a moose rifle and among other critters he loved the .375h&h. He later learned to load great rounds for it, packing lighter grains and speeding them up for deer. He was a true proponent for the caliber. It could do it all.

So back in the early 60s he choose to order the rifle through a small mail order business called Sydney issac Robinson mail order. Which turned into SIR. Which was bought and turned into Cabelas Canada now.

We ordered it while working up on the coast and it came. He had the lead work done and stock piece extended.

I will bring it to Africa. I have to.

Very nice bedding job, you better get to booking a buff hunt, lots of great deals all over Africa!!!

Very nice gun. You got lucky on that wood!

After humming and hawing over buying a double, I decided to put alittle money into my old .375H&H Sako magnum Mauser to keep me happy and my mind off spending more money.

A local gunsmith installed a lovely red recoil pad, they scream safari and adventure to me, he had the rifle apart. The wood was cracked near the trigger inside and he did a cross bolt and glassed it for strength. He stripped and sanded and redid the finish.

And doing so, it reveiled a beautiful grain pattern inside the stock. We also figured warne bases would still allow use of the iron sights. I mounted a beauty leupold 2.5-8x36mm on QD rings.

Absolutely love the feel and look of this rifle. Need to find a buff hunt now in one of the wilder countries

B6DC2C5E-811A-4249-9A7D-5DC7601A2DC1.jpg

EACA7833-E188-463D-B470-5FA5FCCFF023.jpg

A5B65DE3-BA1F-4A79-8397-C326334A2784.jpg
That looks great. Congrats.
Witold

That is a lovely project mate. Sakos are some of my very favourite rifles !! I missed a like new AV in .375H&H a couple of years ago and am still kicking myself. Prior to heading off to Africa a couple of years ago I decide to give my old Winchester Model 70 a bit of TLC to right the things I didn't like. I bought it in a bit of a whim around 1983 (I was 14 at the time) and it got a good work out on hogs around where I grew up before spending a couple of extended periods later in the 80s in the Northern Territory working over buffalo (before the eradication started) and big tropical hogs etc. Between then an now it came out from time to time for a novelty hog hunt.

I had never quite settled on mounts I liked nor did I like the urethane stock finish they had, worst of all was the two piece aluminium trigger guard that. Soooo over about 12 months I got new mounts, a new Williams one piece "Obendorff" steel trigger guard/floor plate and had a nice oil finish applied to the stock (at the some time the inletting was done for the new metal). I also replaced the old hardened recoil pad with a new one. All pretty subtle but improved it 200% to my taste. Some time huddled over the reloading press and I got a nice load worked out that went on to work a charm for me on my hunt.

Buying something new came be nice....making something how you want it can be VERY rewarding.

Andy

Attachments

• M70_375No1_zpsbd72cdef.jpg
    M70_375No1_zpsbd72cdef.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
After humming and hawing over buying a double, I decided to put alittle money into my old .375H&H Sako magnum Mauser to keep me happy and my mind off spending more money.

A local gunsmith installed a lovely red recoil pad, they scream safari and adventure to me, he had the rifle apart. The wood was cracked near the trigger inside and he did a cross bolt and glassed it for strength. He stripped and sanded and redid the finish.

And doing so, it reveiled a beautiful grain pattern inside the stock. We also figured warne bases would still allow use of the iron sights. I mounted a beauty leupold 2.5-8x36mm on QD rings.

Absolutely love the feel and look of this rifle. Need to find a buff hunt now in one of the wilder countries

B6DC2C5E-811A-4249-9A7D-5DC7601A2DC1.jpg

EACA7833-E188-463D-B470-5FA5FCCFF023.jpg

A5B65DE3-BA1F-4A79-8397-C326334A2784.jpg

Looks very nice. Go take it to Africa now.

Always rewarding to fix up something to make it YOURS! Go shoot some buffalo and anything else that Africa gives you:D

Thanks for sharing. I like guns with a little history behind them. If they worked well in the past, most likely they will continue to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois