Reaction score
Website
www.arm-koknives.co.za
Member of
Natal Bowhunters
Hunted
south africa
Blue Wildebeest calf,shot at 25 mts,double lung,arrow pass-through
the shot was a bit high as i did not have time to range it,estimated at 30 mts [used the 30 mt pin], while the animal was limping away.it had broken it's leg in a poacher's snare,and the wound was infected,and had wire imbedded in it.
the second pic is of the wildebeest lying down.
estimated weight was around 95 kgs.
bow used was the Reflex Bighorn,70 #
arrows - Easton ST Excel,300,10 gpi
broadhead - 125 gr Rocket Ultimate steel fixed
method - walk and stalk
the arrow entered on the right side
the tracker asked me to kill the calf due to the nature of it's injury,and the farm owner agreed with the decision.

after the 1st shot the calf walked about 70 or 80 mts and lay down.i walked around the back,got to within 15 mts [that's when i took the 2nd pic].
i was very concerned about the arrow placement and decided to take another shot,as the animal was looking around,moving it's head from side to side.
i put another arrow into the vitals and the calf ran for another 5 or 6 meters and collapsed.after seeing the exit wound and frothy blood i realised that my 1st shot was decent,and the 2nd arrow was not necessary.
the farm i hunted on was not equipped for bowhunters,nor did the trackers seem to be educated about bowhunting so,immediately after the 1st arrow,the tracker wanted to start after the animal.fortunately the area was flat and not very bushy so we could see the wildebeest.
i only got to look for the 1st arrow after all this,which confirmed the shot placement,which i now realise was not all that bad since the animal was quartering away slightly.the arrow was broken off just in front of the fletches,both pieces were found on 1 side of the blood trail,which was very easy to find,as there was copious amounts of bright, frothy blood.i think there was some lung tissue on the broadhead as well.

i did not pose with the animal as i felt that i did not hunt this poor beast but put it out of it's misery.
my buddies and i will hunt at this farm next year,i hope i fill my bag.

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 186
Hi harm,
first of all congratulations to your first bow kill....
after what you've been writing, congratulation for the very good, very well placed shot.
even if you did not have to shot the second arrow, you did it, just to make sure... thats what some strangers don't understand.
better be on the safe side, you do it for the creature, not for yourself.

after all you did a good and clean job, took a poor creature out of misery, as you wrote... well done.
please hold on to your integrity, which in my understandings is very high. you will get you bag filled, one day or another.

nico
ps: happy hunting... may the "big ones" come to you soon :)

Congrats harm,
Hopefully the practice will help you on your first bowhunt. It always a shame to see an animal in such a state.

Congratulation, because with bow whatever the game all the animals are a trophy and you desserve
this animal...

The poarchers make it suffering and you stoped it.

Congratulation for your ethic and your abnegation...

Sincerely yours.
Lio

Harm,

Congratulations on your first bow kill, may there be many, many more!

Regards,

Engee Potgieter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross