Muzzleloader Safari

iowaducker

Reaction score
Deals & offers
Does anyone have much experience using a muzzleloader while doing a plains game safari? I am somewhat of a muzzleloader fanatic and would strong consider going this route if I can get my potential safari lined up.

I see that some countries have restrictions in regards to black powder & primers and am curious to the ins and outs of this and what kind of potential headache this could become. I'm very comfirtable shooting out to 200 yards with my gun, so I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem.

I guess I would just like to hear from guys that have tried this and see what they have to say.

Thanks

Iowaducker

There are outfitters and PH that have Safari setup for black powder and we have read post on there safari's

if this is your route start contacting PH and outfitters to see what is available.

I do believe that you will have to find your primers & powder in Africa or have your PH purchase what he can find and then you will need to practice with that combination.

iowaducker, I tried to arrange to use my Muzzleloader for my hunt.
I started getting road blocks.
You will not be able to take your own caps, primers or powder at all. No plane I could find would allow it.

There is powder in SA. So, you PH may be willing to arrange it for you.
Pyrodex is not available in SA. my personal favourite.

This is the point at which I gave up. I was not willing to go through the whole process of working through a load to get accuracy again with new products.

You may be more determined. Good luck.

Iowaducker

Though I have never hunted in South Africa with a Smoke Pole I do love hunting with them here in the US taking game from Whitetail to Moose with my Hawkins the outfit I hunt with on the East Cape Huntershill Safaris in the beautiful Heuningklip Valley of the Eastern Cape, South Africa, is your premier hunting safari destination does have hunters that have hunted with them using a Smoke Pole you can go to their gallery and they have pics of trophies taken with Black Powder. Send Greg or Bruce and Email and I'll bet they'll be willing to help you out with any questions you may have.

Hi Iowaducker

South Africa is a good place to bring the muzzleloader, especially the bushveld in Limpopo, we have some good walk and stalk opportunities and shots are rarely over 150 yards.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions?

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Have you considered a "starter" smokepole hunt on exotics (incl. African game such as eland, oryx, wildebeest) on one of the larger Texas ranches? It ain't Africa but you can drive there & bring home all those great steaks & roasts. The King Ranch, for example, is nearly 1 million (!) acres, not a lot of a African imports on it, but its loaded with Nilgai (Largest Asian antelope, from India) which I feel tastes as good as any African antelope...
PS- What part of Iowa are you from? My wife grew up in Decorah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.