Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
SA, NZ, Montana, Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
I would like to know what this community would recommend for a new muzzleloader. I haven’t bought one in 20 years . Would be used for whitetail. A scope recommendation would be appreciated as well.

Are you looking at going "Old School" or do you want the latest and greatest?

If you are ok with a scary light trigger, I think the CVA accura is the way to go. They have a much better reputation now than decades ago.

Virtually any scope will work fine. If you use soap and water to clean, you might concider detachable scope rings if you trust the concept

Latest and greatest at moderate price

Rickmt, sorry I can't help you. My "Old School" BP rifles are all Thompson Center Hawken style rifles dating from the late 80(s) and a Knight rifle from the early 2,000(s). MY one suggestion would be to try and buy a seldom or little use BP rifle. Be sure any rifle you handle is unloaded. There has been more than one "surprise" with this type of rifle.

I love my savage ml 10ii. Not made anymore but if you get the chance, jump on it. 209 primer ignition, bolt action style primer control, accutrigger, fiber optic sights. Tapped for scope. Most importantly, fully proofed and approved for smokeless as well as black powder. The smokeless loads are nice and really scream with less recoil than black powder. I haven't looked at the loads recently but with an appropriate load of 5744 or 2015 powder it will push a 300 grain saboted bullet at 2400fps. That's 3800 plus foot pounds of energy and between the 9.3x62 and 375 h&h by the numbers (of course with bullets of lower sectional density so less penetration). A more sane load runs the same 300 gr barnes expander at 2200 fps or a 250 grain at 2300. Both are devastating on deer. Without the smoke you can call your shot and follow the animal.

Once you go smokeless you won't go back, but with the ml10 you can switch back and forth at will.

Not my rifle but an example on gunbroker.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.26.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.26.42 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.26.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.26.49 AM.png
    807.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.26.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.26.56 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
In-line primer ignition is the way to go on a scope friendly rifle.

The tilt barrels are also really easy to clean. I am personally not a fan of the converted bolt action designs that are far more action than really needed. The new Thompson Center "Strike" gets really good reviews.

A couple vendors of smokeless ML parts and accessories: Don't think you can get away building one from scratch for less than $1500. I shoot a converted ML2 in .45. Barrels and the necessary parts are available to convert a center fire Savage action to a smokeless ML. Am shooting 200gr SSTs 2640. Used it on my first trip to Africa. Can save a considerable amount of money buying a used black powder substitute version, either new or used.
Edit: I used a Thompson Center .50 for five years before switching. Like another post, once you go smokeless, there's no return. Scope recommendation, 3x-9x Leupold VX-3 ML scope

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.30.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.30.41 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.30.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.30.42 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.30.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 9.30.45 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
If you are ok with a scary light trigger, I think the CVA accura is the way to go. They have a much better reputation now than decades ago.

Virtually any scope will work fine. If you use soap and water to clean, you might concider detachable scope rings if you trust the concept
I have the Accura V2 and the trigger is superb. Bust on any gun I have owned.

I am not a muzzleloader guy but-I have been working with one for a friend as he hasn’t the time to go to the range like I do. It is a TC break action in .50 with a vortex scope on it. It shoots very accurately at 100 and 200 yards with blackhorn 209 powder and 245 gr powerbelt bullets. It is easy to clean and surprisingly comfortable to shoot-it does pack a kick! It is unattractive synthetic and rubber and has no “soul.”
I bought myself a knight laminate stock .50 cal for under a grand that looks nice, uses in line 209 primer system and pre drilled for a scope. I’ve not shot it yet as it is too cold and snowy but it fits good and looks like I could pass it on to my next generation-I love the old traditional muzzleloaders but the new versions shoot much better!

I’m a thompson center encore fan . Yes it’s a bit more up front but it’s a never ending rifle once you buy more barrels .

Quite a bit is going to depend on the states regulations on where you plan to hunt. While some allow smokeless powder most do not.

I have a few muzzle loaders. I have a side lock Thompson Center Renegade .54, but it would just look out of place with a scope on it. I also have a Thompson Center Triumph .50 that I use to hunt here in Colorado. It is tapped for a scope mount but here in Colorado we can not use a scope on a muzzle loader during the muzzle loader hunts, nor can we use sabots or pellet powder. Only black powder or its substitute. I also have a CVA Accura V2 that has a scope on it which is very accurate. However I only use that rifle in Utah during the muzzle loader hunt where scopes and sabots are allowed.

On powder I find that I can get a lot better accuracy using loose powder as compared to those pellets.

Good point on the local rules. North Carolina, where I hunt, considers a "blackpowder" rifle to be basically anything that loads from the muzzle, irrespective of propellant primer or optics. This gives you a two week head start on rifle season for deer. A number of western states seem to restrict muzzleloader season to traditional devices with no inline primers, scopes, or smokeless powder. (Although the text of the law is sometimes iffy on powder with many specifically allowing black powder substitutes. After all, what is smokeless powder but the original black powder substitute?). I suppose it depends upon the reason for choosing a muzzleloader. How much of a handicap do you want or need for compliance? A modern smokeless muzzleloader is not much of a handicap and shoots clean enough to make fast reloads easy.

A problem with using smokeless powder in muzzle loader that wasn't designed for it is the pressure that it can get up to and splitting the barrel or blowing the action off of it.

But there are a couple of muzzle loaders that were designed for it's use.

A problem with using smokeless powder in muzzle loader that wasn't designed for it is the pressure that it can get up to and splitting the barrel or blowing the action off of it.

But there are a couple of muzzle loaders that were designed for it's use.
For sure, smokeless powder in a black powder muzzleloader is a pipe bomb. The only muzzleloader I've had is made for smokeless and the owners manual has loads listed for several smokeless powders.

I have 2 TC Triumphs and I like their design and durability - also very accurate. I had a TC omega for a few years, also a great rifle. It’s hard to go wrong with a TC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoshanaHe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross