AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Is it ok and easy to get a muzzleloader to south africa.I have heard black powder was not ok to bring in there.My son likes his t/c muzzleloader but can shot his 270 also if easier to get there with a rifle.He is going crazy since winning that trip and ready to go.

You can bring your muzzleloader, but you will have to buy the powder is RSA. Hartzview might be able to get the blackpowder you need. To me it's way too much hassle, I'd bring the 270 Win.

Bill I was hoping to get my muzzleloader over to hunt with. After speaking directly with the manufacturer (pyrodex) they are not allowed to sell into any african country or it costs too much.
The other issue was there was no airline allowing explosives on the plane.
There were some muzzleloader powders in SA. Although, last I was reading from the KZN Hunters Assoc there are more rules coming out about muzzleloaders soon.
Maybe someone else has more information, but that is where I quit trying and just went with the .270. At least the airlines understand cartridges.

Hey Billc,

We can buy powder for you muzzleloader at the gun shop I shop at regurly but if it will be the same powder that you use I cannot promise. I will send you an e-mail with all the info regarding the gun permits etc.

Talk to you soon!

Jacques

thanks for the info everyone.May not be worth the hassle.Jacques can you see if they carry blackhorn 209 powder or what kind they stock.If there is one you can get that is here in the states also maybe we could still use it.Dont want to shot a new powder just showing up to go hunting,

I have taken my muzzleloader to south Africa 2 times before and will be leaving in 58 days for my next safari. The first trip I was able to bring pyodex pellets. The last trip I used sannadex powder that the ph could get me. I will do whatever it takes to hunt with my muzzleloader. I love the challenge. It does take some time to sight in when you get there. I have found with 150 grains of sannadex and a 275 grain fury bullet at 100 yards sight in for 4 inches high. At 200 you should be right on or 2 inches low. I shoot a ultimate firearms carbon stealth. It uses magnum rifle primers. Magnum rifle primers will burn more power in the barrel than 209 shotgun primers. So a t/c with 209 might be a little different. This trip coming up I will be taking my gun, empty brass that my rifle primers go into and the tools needed to prime and de cap the brass after shot. My ph will get me the magnum rifle primers and the sannadex pistol grade powder. I have harvested 20+ animals in Africa with the muzzleloader and hope I can always find a way to bring it along. It wouldn't be the same using a gun. Kind of like africa. Once you hunt Africa with a muzzleloader it's in your blood. If you want a list of everything I bring let me know.

I fully understand the loyalty people feel to BP firearms but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bear in mind that transporting ANY BP or BP subsitute OR percussion caps on commercial aircraft is ALWAYS not only highly illegal and liable to put you in jail for a very long time and facing an immense fine but it also endangers the entire aircraft, everyone aboard it anyone on the ground it fall on top of.

If your in doubt as to transport restrictions, just take a look at the container. If it's classified as explosive of any kind, it's highly illegal to transport and even if it says flammable it can only be transported under certain restrictions such as loaded into cartridge cases that are packed so that they're kept separated from each other.

In the case of US citizens who try to take BP or BP substitute onto a commercial passenger aircraft, they're in breach of at least:

Air Navigation Order (Carriage of Dangerous Goods) Act
DOT Research & special Programs Administration
Patriot Act
Safe Explosives Act
Aviation & Transportation Security Act
TSA Security Regulations
AND several Executive Orders

On top of that is the possibility that several anti terrorism acts could probably also be applied should they feel the need.

Also remember there's no need to bring these items as similar items such as Sannadex are readily available here anyway.

Remember, they don't take any prisoners in this post 9/11 society in which we live.

I should add that the only way primers can be transported is if they are already fitted into cartridge cases.

I was on a elk hunt this last year and some guys flew with blackpowder on their carry on and didn't get busted....I asked if they liked prison...they said no and would never do it again! But people have been doing it in the USA on blackpowder hunts which is crazy.

I'm going from memory but am fairly sure that the penalty under just one set of legislation is up to 15 years and $150K fine per offence.

Here's an example of what can happen when unauthorised material is loaded onto an aircraft: ValuJet Flight 592 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In this case it was oxygen generators and a spares pack that contained aircraft tyres. The oxygen generators provided the heat and oxygen and the tyres, the fuel for the fire which was so violent, it burned through the fuselage and dumped the aircraft and everyone on board into the swamp.

With BP or BP substitute, if there's a fire in the hold that could usually be contained by the compartment, the BP etc can explode, destroy the integrity of the fuselage and cause the same result.

I did not realize that about flying with black powder.This seems to not be to easy to do so maybe for our first trip we may just do rifle and bow.

There's no reason you can't take your M/L if you want to.....just don't take any BP/BP substitute or primers etc with you.

Those things are readily available here anyway and all you have to do is ask your outfitter to ensure that his local gun shop has what you want in stock when you arrive.

Hey everyone,

Bill C I just got off the phone with my gun dealer I always work with and he said that they only carry Panadex Loose powder. We cannot find the pellets here in South Africa that you guys use in the US. They carry both CCi Primers and 209 Shotgun Primers for the muzzleloaders. Just let me know in advance so I can make sure we have enough powder and primers for you when you guys arrive.

Best regards,

Jacques

SannadexRifle.jpg

This came in the tin of sannadex my ph got me last time in africa. They call it fish food. It is clean burning. I would rather use 777. Yet it is all part of the challenge. Good hunting

Can anyone tell me if they used this powder from there and how it compares grain wise to powders here in the states.Will be shooting a tc pro hunter 50cal with a 250 to 300 grain shock wave bullet.He normal shots there pellets or 110 grain of blackhorn loose powder.May just be taking the rifle and bow.Thanks billc

Bill,

I'm fairly sure the powders available in SA are made here (probably/possibly by Somchem) so why not just have Jacques contact the manufacturers for comparison figures etc.

Assuming it is Somchem, they're fantastically helpful.

Bill,

I'm fairly sure the powders available in SA are made here (probably/possibly by Somchem) so why not just have Jacques contact the manufacturers for comparison figures etc.

Assuming it is Somchem, they're fantastically helpful.

Shakari,

Good idea. I will get some figures etc from the manufactures as soon as I can and post them. I am leaving on a hunt tommorow so I am going to try and do it before then.

Jacques

Panadex is a male enhancement pill. I believe Jacques means he can get sannadex loose powder. I posted the conversion chart two posts before. Try to get pistol grade sannadex. It is closer to what you are used to with blackhorn. If he uses 110 grains of blackhorn then he should use 13 percent more if he uses sannadex pistol grade. I talked to my muzzleloader maker (ultimatefirearms.com) and Kenny told me not to use a 250 grain bullet. He recomended a bigger bullet with the sannadex. That is why I use the 275 grain fury bullet. Bring the muzzleloader.

Panadex is a male enhancement pill. I believe Jacques means he can get sannadex loose powder.

Let's hope so! :D

I saw your chart but was unable to expand it to a viewable size because of my ultra slow internet speed today..... my apologies for not being able to check what it was!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briansmith4631

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois