Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Mugabe and the rest of the kleptocracy offered amnesty if money is returned to the treasury. If not, justice may finally be served.

A hint of mercy in post-Mugabe Zimbabwe
The Monitor's Editorial Board

Christian Science MonitorNovember 29, 2017
Nations coming out of dictatorship or civil war sometimes offer forgiveness to past wrongdoers who fess up. For a torn society, a measure of mercy can often heal quicker than harsh justice. South Africa, Sierra Leone, and Tunisia have tried it. Colombia is in the midst of a truth-and-reconciliation process after its long war. Now it may be Zimbabwe’s turn.

After the end of Robert Mugabe’s 37-year rule last week, a new leader offered an unusual and limited pardon on Nov. 28: Those who stole public money and stashed it abroad will be granted amnesty if they return the cash within three months. After that period, said President Emmerson Mnangagwa, the long arm of the law will be visited upon them.

Zimbabweans must come to grips with the troubling aspects of the Mugabe era. Many past wrongs need the bright light of truth and then perhaps some sort of forgiveness.

Mr. Mnangagwa himself is accused of gross human rights violations in the 1980s. He was vice-president under Mugabe but was sidelined and forced to flee the country in early November. After the military eased Mugabe out, Mnangagwa returned and took over.

Mr. Mugabe, despite his age, is being encouraged by religious leaders to admit mistakes. “Zimbabweans are a forgiving lot,” said Bishop Noah Pashapa of the Life and Liberty Church.

The new president’s amnesty move has a very practical purpose. The estimated $2 billion sent abroad by corrupt Zimbabweans might come back and give a needed boost to the economy, which is about half of what it was two decades ago. The country needs cash to build infrastructure for agriculture and mining.

Many countries use amnesties granted in exchange for ill-gotten gains in order to get a quick shot of revenue. They help improve tax compliance, which gives citizens a stake in their government. A one-time forgiveness also sets visible examples of honesty if enough wrongdoers come forward. A recent amnesty in Indonesia netted $367.5 billion that was hidden in offshore accounts. That is equal to about 40 percent of the Indonesian economy.

Mnangagwa’s move hints that he may also be seeking reconciliation with his political opposition. He faces an election next year and, if the process is open and fair, he’ll need to show quick results in reviving the economy. That is easier to do if he can unite the country rather than try to sideline opponents, as both he and Mugabe did in the past. Forgiveness, like that offered to those who have stolen public funds, is a good start in healing Zimbabwe.

Interesting take on the situation. I have little confidence that the family and friends of Uncle Robert will return much of what they have taken from the country. Some money returned may well placate the he masses. I also doubt that the new president is doing much more than posturing for the rest of the world to see. I always say follow the money but does the government of Zimbabwe have the sufficient means to investigate the money trail and recover any of the ill gotten gain. A trip down such a road may expose more than just the Mugabe group.

Mugabe is as old as a rock. Friends, family and Cronies who have some of the stolen Zim money will simply wait a little. When Butcher Bob is dead, the money trail will grow cold quickly. I suggest keeping Gucci Girl under arrest until her memory returns...............FWB

Mugabe is as old as a rock. Friends, family and Cronies who have some of the stolen Zim money will simply wait a little. When Butcher Bob is dead, the money trail will grow cold quickly. I suggest keeping Gucci Girl under arrest until her memory returns...............FWB

Excellently said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!