AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Delta Waterfowl
Hunted
USA, Botswana
If this was posted before please forgive me. Another group of misinformed idiots.

https://www.msc.com/esp/press/press-releases/2015-august/msc-ban-the-transport-of-hunting-trophies

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 7.55.39 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Shameful action on their part. Seems like the antis are winning on all fronts. Where the HELL is SCI DSC and others?....I am so tired of the hunting big wigs doing ZERO.

They are just the majority. There are going to be some that will be in the business.
It is just a pain nine the butt.

I just used there contact link and sent a conservation minded message requesting them to reconsider their decision.

Well the anti's have figured an excellent way to ban hunting, stop the transportation chain with threats and misinformation that your company will lose if you don't bend to our rule. I'm not surprised, I have been waiting for it to happen.

If this continues a lot of taxidermists in Africa will be happy. I think more and more will leave trophies there for work.

If this continues a lot of taxidermists in Africa will be happy. I think more and more will leave trophies there for work.
NOT IF YOU CAN'T SHIP IT BACK TO THE USA.

Even taxidermy work they won't transport? If so I'm sure there are plenty of private transport companies willing to make a buck

Can't believe UPS or Fedx wouldn't do it. Folks like SSI and others must be lining up alternative air transport companies. And they should stick it to the commercial airline companies should they reverse their positions.

I see major problems johnnyblue......major problems. I'm pretty sure the anti's want to have zero wildlife on board of planes and boats. And taxidermy is wildlife.

Hope your wrong brother.....They will hurt everyone not only us. I just can't believe private cargo companies would give a damn. They have no passengers to apse. Companies like cargo lux etc...

Shameful action on their part. Seems like the antis are winning on all fronts. Where the HELL is SCI DSC and others?....I am so tired of the hunting big wigs doing ZERO.

So please explain to me what a hunting big wig is. It is just further dividing of hunters. Few people have been more vocal than me about SCI not doing more, including direct talks with one of the Sr. SCI directors.

I can assure they are doing more than nothing.

What I am sick and tired of is people expecting everybody to pull the weight for them. SCI has 50,000 members worldwide. That is a pathetic number and there is a lot of blame to go around from SCI recruiting methods to most hunter's apathy towards our rights.

How many people write their Congressman? Senators? Last year I was only one of two people from our entire state that attended lobby day for SCI in DC. This year there was six of us, while better, that is still terrible, and some states had zero.

How many people have written Delta, AA, and United and complained? How many have signed the SCI and HSC petitions to the airlines?

How many have shared the recent DSC videos on their Facebook feeds?

How many have sent a check to John Jackson at Conservation Force or even a note thanking him for taking on the antis live on national TV?

Just keep posting the crappy kill shot videos on Facebook and YouTube, especially the ones of pen raised lions and further alienate people on the fence.

I could go on and on. But if we just keep blaming SCI and DSC whom I certainly hold accountable for some of this mess. If we do not all get involved and I mean heavily involved, we will lose all of our hunting rights.

Mike if your directing your question to me or my comments I will answer. What I mean to say when I say hunting big wigs is all the folks that prosper from selling their products to hunters. I don't need to go into who they are, your a very experienced hunter so you understand. I recently wrote to 100 NY senators and asked them to please review the proposed bill introduced here to ban importation of hunting trophies into NY port and to vote NO. I did just yesterday put Shane's video on my face book page and asked my non hunting friends to spend the few minutes and try to understand our point of view. I have also written the airlines and signed the letters that are being circulated here on AH.

I wish as I am sure you do more hunters would get involved but let's face it most hunters are not as passionate as we who travel and spend a lot of money to hunt. This is why I have said we need help from the "big boys", they stand to loose money if this continues. Everyone should be involved on some level. But I think if our sport is to continue for future generations we need to get into a different way of fighting. I ve said we need a GOOD PR firm to assist us in this fight with a social media blitz as well as other avenues. Let DSC or SCI use a portion of their membership to help pay for a PR firm, even if it means raising membership fee's. I would think if your a member of theses organizations you are somewhat dedicated to the sport and would not object to slightly higher membership if used for this. If SCI is "doing more behind the scenes" let us know. I applaud Shane's video, but who's watching it? Hunters...What we need is PBS or Nat geo wild to do a non biased segment on hunting, hunters and conservation and bring out all points. Let the folks decide then. Maybe just maybe we can make some head way with the public. As you can see I hope, I am passionate about the sport and frustrated about the beating we are taking. As far as the airlines are concerned, importers if they are not already should look into private carriers that frequent Africa to pick up the slack. And then shove it to the commercial airlines when they come back. And I do think they will eventually ship hunting cargo. All I know is we are losing the fight to preserve our sport.

I was directing the comments at all hunters, because I hear the same comments often. Most people want somebody else to do the work. Few people do take the time to even write their elected officials or complain by writing to private organizations.

You made a very good point that has discussed previously' SCI needs to hire a PR firm. We have to bring the fight to our enemies. We have to recruit new members. I want SCI to become a hunter's rights organization that holds a convention, not the club with a convention that dabbles in hunter's rights. SCI does have lobbyist on board so why not a PR firm?

I thought SCI had Delta on board. I know for a fact it was at SCI's urging that Delta released the statement about continuing to carry trophies. Unfortunately that fell apart with "Cecil" being killed. SCI and DSC were both extremely slow in responding. They have done some good since but with a PR firm out front some of this mess could have been averted.

The NRA is a model organization for gun rights. People on Capitol Hill respect them. That is what 5,000,000 members and lots of money will get you. We face the same enemies fighting for gun rights as we do hunting rights. It is my hope the NRA will take up hunting rights as another primary mission.

Until SCI changes its model (that will have to be forced by members) and we increase membership 20 fold, we will be nothing but a fart in the wind.

This is a NY Times article about the NRA. What I find interesting is the change that took place in the 70s in the NRA organization. This is proof that positive change can take place in an old established organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/magazine/inside-the-power-of-the-nra.html?_r=0

Founded in 1871 to teach marksmanship to city-dwelling Union soldiers, the group was originally a nonpolitical and noncontroversial league of sportsmen and remained so for nearly a century. Everything changed, however, during the urban tumult of the 1960s, culminating in the assassinations of Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy. The 1968 Gun Control Act imposed a licensing system for purchases, mandated serial numbers on weapons, banned certain gun imports and barred felons and illicit drug users from obtaining firearms. Gun-loving legislators like Representative John Dingell of Michigan worried that even harsher restrictions were imminent and clamored for the N.R.A. to wake up and enter the political arena. The lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action, was formed in 1975. Two years later at a now-famous annual convention in Cincinnati, Dingell and other N.R.A. allies ousted the group’s reigning executives, who saw the organization largely as a haven for gentlemen hunters, and replaced them with fire-breathing Second Amendment absolutists. The new lobbying director, Harlon Carter, then led an energetic campaign to boost membership. “Harlon came up with the idea that they’d need four million members, and everybody thought this was impossible, but by golly, he did it,” Dingell told me.

Can't believe UPS or Fedx wouldn't do it. Folks like SSI and others must be lining up alternative air transport companies. And they should stick it to the commercial airline companies should they reverse their positions.

I was directing the comments at all hunters, because I hear the same comments often. Most people want somebody else to do the work. Few people do take the time to even write their elected officials or complain by writing to private organizations.

You made a very good point that has discussed previously' SCI needs to hire a PR firm. We have to bring the fight to our enemies. We have to recruit new members. I want SCI to become a hunter's rights organization that holds a convention, not the club with a convention that dabbles in hunter's rights. SCI does have lobbyist on board so why not a PR firm?

I thought SCI had Delta on board. I know for a fact it was at SCI's urging that Delta released the statement about continuing to carry trophies. Unfortunately that fell apart with "Cecil" being killed. SCI and DSC were both extremely slow in responding. They have done some good since but with a PR firm out front some of this mess could have been averted.

The NRA is a model organization for gun rights. People on Capitol Hill respect them. That is what 5,000,000 members and lots of money will get you. We face the same enemies fighting for gun rights as we do hunting rights. It is my hope the NRA will take up hunting rights as another primary mission.

Until SCI changes its model (that will have to be forced by members) and we increase membership 20 fold, we will be nothing but a fart in the wind.
Mike, I know I saw somewhere here on AH about a member writing to the NRA about what is going on. I don't remember exactly the response but it was pretty much they are not interested in getting involved with "hunting issues". So we can pretty much forget about that powerhouse helping us.

While I was not happy with the post that IIRC stated that the NRA was not going to involved in the airline trophy ban, I do know they are gearing up to be involved in hunters rights.

http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/4/25/nra-hunters-leadership-forum/

HLF has been active for a year, but we will know by the end of this year if they are serious about it or not. I do believe (and truly hope) we will be pleasantly surprised.

http://hunteredcourse.com/nra-hunters-leadership-forum/

This is a very important statement from the article. "As Wayne LaPierre said “Elephants lead to deer” and we must take the fight to the culture of America."

This is the mindset we need. I believe people in general view SCI as a bunch of rich old white fat guys. Most never heard of DSC. Most know the NRA to be an organization to protect our rights. We shall see.......

This is good stuff...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!