MRC 1999

Marc Ret

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I came across a Montana Rifle Co. 1999 .375 H&H in a local shop. I've read a little bit on them but know very little aside from that and would like to learn more/hear some opinions on their guns. It isn't something I'm considering buying, just looking to learn.

20220308_151923.jpg

Investment cast receiver. Some of them are great, kinda like Ruger. They suffered from atrocious customer service which was their demise. Hopefully someone more in tune with the actual consumer takes the reins and puts them back into production.

If price is reasonable I would buy it without second thoughts!

I have two, one in 7mm Rem Mag and the other a 300 Win Mag. Wouldn’t think twice about buying another if the price was right. Quality rifles, I guess they just suffered from poor business practices and hope they recover and come back. Was in a LGS a few days ago and there was rumor that the company was relaunching.

Investment cast receiver. Some of them are great, kinda like Ruger. They suffered from atrocious customer service which was their demise. Hopefully someone more in tune with the actual consumer takes the reins and puts them back into production.

Speaking of the receiver, is disparity in color between the barrel and receiver typical for their guns?

20220311_084009Resized.jpg

Nope that is way expensive! Just my honest opinion. Could probably get a Winchester super grade for a lot less. I gave in the $1,200 to $1,400 range for both of my MRC rifles new. If really interested I’d keep looking.

I’ve seen a lot of Montanas. Their QC really cratered towards the end. Real shame, because they made a FINE rifle in their heyday. Not quite as refined as a Dakota or similar, but about on par with Kimber. The action was probably more robust than the Kimber 84 series though, and a lot of the parts are interchangeable with Pre 64 Winchester 70s.

Nice wood on that one but none of the “good” Montanas I’ve seen have that metal mismatched finish. Almost all the late ones do. A good friend of mine got one of their last 1999s and the action was a complete basket case. By the time he’d worked through the dealer to get it sent back Montana had folded.

My MRC is a nice rifle but I also had customer service problems with them. Not an issue anymore since they’ve closed. The price is way too high.

P
Speaking of the receiver, is disparity in color between the barrel and receiver typical for their guns?

View attachment 456696
If I’m not mistaken that’s a plum brown finish on the receiver. Not a mistake.. Looks like a slightly upgraded rifle with said finish and the ebony forend tip. Maybe ebony plugs over cross bolts as well?

Last edited:
I had one built in 425 WR the biggest complaint I have is they used Loctite on the barrel and left a big gob of it in the chamber. Other the that the fit and finish is good and it shoots very well so far. Only have about 80 rounds through it as good brass is hard to come by.

I suspect that one was built around the end when all hope was lost. I’ve not seen one that far off. Could be the pic though.

It's not the pic, gb. The contrast is quite evident in hand. My thought when I saw it was the composition of the two steels led to the difference. Along the lines of how the bluing can shows differences on a Nickel Steel barrel and the receiver of Winchester Model 12s.

As I said, this isn't a gun I'm considering. Just a learning exercise for me. I appreciate the input.

Don’t know about the price? Not the point of the thread anyway. Some drop that much on scopes they don’t need… IMO

As mentioned in the other thread I used one their actions to build a 45O Watts. Purchased the action direct from MRC without issue. Put on an 8 groove, 14” twist Lilja barrel. Found a NOS Win 70 walnut stock from old New Haven inventory. Pillar
bedded it. Added banded front sight and front swivel. Used an island rear express. Operates flawlessly and is extraordinarily accurate.

The action is a Win 70 - Mauser hybrid design. Has very good gas escape design with 3 ports- one through each side of receiver ring and one through bottom of bolt. It incorporates about the strongest breaching system of any CRF bolt action with a C ring, coned breech.

I set the old style Win 70 trigger at about 3 lbs. It likes every bullet and load I’ve tried. Here’s an example of the accuracy potential of this rifle. Far in excess required for any DG rifle but it certainly doesn’t hurt my confidence with it- just one less thing to worry about.
5 shot, 50 yard group off bench. :)

609C9C13-1B0E-4562-82F2-F04297CF47A2.jpeg

Don’t know about the price? Not the point of the thread anyway. Some drop that much on scopes they don’t need… IMO

As mentioned in the other thread I used one their actions to build a 45O Watts. Purchased the action direct from MRC without issue. Put on an 8 groove, 14” twist Lilja barrel. Found a NOS Win 70 walnut stock from old New Haven inventory. Pillar
bedded it. Added banded front sight and front swivel. Used an island rear express. Operates flawlessly and is extraordinarily accurate.

The action is a Win 70 - Mauser hybrid design. Has very good gas escape design with 3 ports- one through each side of receiver ring and one through bottom of bolt. It incorporates about the strongest breaching system of any CRF bolt action with a C ring, coned breech.

I set the old style Win 70 trigger at about 3 lbs. It likes every bullet and load I’ve tried. Here’s an example of the accuracy potential of this rifle. Far in excess required for any DG rifle but it certainly doesn’t hurt my confidence with it- just one less thing to worry about.
5 shot, 50 yard group off bench. :)

View attachment 456975

I tried to get a bare receiver from them. I called, the price was well in excess of their advertised price. After the sales guy got done calling me a liar, I sent him the link. He called me back and blamed it on their webmaster. Then he told me they “weren’t selling Saturns here, it’s not a negotiation.” I can only assume he was talking about the car. I told him where he could insert his action, and bought a Borden.

What a jerk. Haha.

I have friends who have these MRC rifles and considered one in LH for myself. Only thing I do not like is the bolt release. Investment cast is OK if at the quality of the Ruger M77 Mrk. II.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg