Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
So, 74 days until Ann and I leave for our safari in Mozambique.

First: About two months ago Manuel Corona of Majune Safaris was notified that a government official would be hunting his concession and of course, it would occur during our scheduled time. So, Manuel offered us two options: a) schedule for later in 2016 or b) defer to 2017. In either case, he would cover the cost of our change fees and if deferred to 2017 keep the trophy fees flat to 2016. We chose to keep to 2016 and scheduled for the end of October. He kept to his word and deducted the change fees from our balance due for daily rates, etc.

Second: Just heard that LAM changed the flight schedule from Maputo to Lichinga. So, instead of arriving at 10:50 am we now arrive into Lichinga at 5:15 pm. That's our day to arrive in camp and start our 12 days hunting the next day. And, it's a 4 to 5 hour drive to camp from Lichinga.

I've reached out to Manuel to see what he suggests. Driving that far at night (sunset is 5:37) makes me a bit anxious. Also, I asked the travel agency to see about getting us all the way from Joberg to Lichinga on the 23rd, but fear the change fees will make that option prohibitive.

So, we're living 'Africa Time' and adapting. Will keep you posted on how it turns out.

John

Had my own experience with "TIA". Good luck and travel safe, I hope all works well for you!

Best of luck

Great to hear that your outfitter was willing to help foot the bill for the date change!

Best of luck on your hunt!

Nothing like an African Airline to change schedules at the last minute, during the flight, whatever works best for them.
Glad you are taking it in stride. It's the only way.

Class act with your Outfitter to step up.

Its no fun to get pushed aside by some govt official but its also hard to argue about it, especially long distance and your outfitter really doesn't have much option but to go along I suspect. Hope October works out for you.

Take it as it comes and you will have a great trip.

Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement. Manuel got back to me and said we'll decide on driving or staying over in Lichinga when we get there. Travel agent is looking into the cost of changing flights to arrive a day earlier. We'll see what those are. Worse case scenario we only loose a 1/2 day - not too bad.

John

A good outfitter will take good care of you!

Welcome to Africa. I was in Senegal last June waiting to board a daily scheduled flight to Jberg... Plane never showed. Finally someone at SAA says, "oh yes, the flight was canceled". My travel agent was wonderful & got us on the next day's flight & my outfitter was flexable as well, but it was frustrating to loose one day of hunting. Otherwise, a wonderful trip.

You certainly have the right attitude, I am hopeful you are rewarded with a great hunt!

When I have cases up north I fly with an airline that runs a very, shall we say, flexible schedule! It's almost part of the fun :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross