Mozambique Tales Of Boomslang Snakes, Man-eating Crocodiles & Angry Buffalo 2013-2014

Scott CWO

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
It’s been about ten years but since I’m laid up after surgery on my right tibia, I thought I would share some safari adventures in Mozambique.

After a 2012 safari to the SVC in Zimbabwe, my wife and I knew we had to go back. A cancellation safari came across my desk and I jumped on it. The safari was for leopard, buffalo, sable and plains game with the late Jamie Wilson of Luambeze/Mazeze Safaris in the Niassa Reserve area R3 bordering Tanzania. The gentleman that cancelled told me he had been there four times and had killed four leopards with a bow in daylight! He said the leopards in the area weren’t the biggest in Africa but due to the absence of people, they also weren’t very spooky. I had heard tales of hunters struggling to get a leopard after several trips so this sounded too good to be true but Jamie confirmed the story!

I booked for July and started making the necessary travel arrangements and applied for a USFWS leopard permit, which I received before I left for Africa.

Before we knew it, Wendy and I were on our way to Africa for the second time. I brought my custom Winchester M70 .338 WM and my CZ550 .458 Lott. After flying to JNB, we took another flight to Pemba, where we met Jamie. We went straight to his plane, a twin engine Piper Navajo. Besides being a very experienced PH, Jamie was also a great pilot.

Flying with us was Jamie’s head tracker, Cosimo, who had just been released from the hospital after being tackled and bit by a wounded leopard. Cosimo had stitches on his scalp and cheek. Wow, this was getting real!

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 9.11.10 AM Large.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 9.11.26 AM Large.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a solid three minutes since this announcement....still waiting...

looking forward to the tale

Looking forward to “the rest of the story”. Better late than never! :)
And wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sounds like an adventure to come.

Here’s the video of Cosimo getting slammed down by the leopard. Jamie acts very quickly with his CZ550 .458 Lott with open sights and kills the leopard. The skill and quickness he exhibited to kill the leopard without shooting Cosimo was incredible! You can see that Cosimo and Jamie have big heavy coats on for a bit of protection. This leopard was shot across the brisket and through one front leg by a 10 year-old boy the evening before. A returning wealthy client from Chicago booked two full bag safaris - lion, elephant, leopard, buffalo and plains game for his two nephews aged ten and twelve years-old! These boys were obviously not experienced hunters and the client should have known better. This all happened on the safari immediately preceding mine.

Can you guys see the video? Let me know.

I could watch the video when downloading it.
It happened very fast and leopard was dispatched quickly.

Here’s the video of Cosimo getting slammed down by the leopard. Jamie acts very quickly with his CZ550 .458 Lott with open sights and kills the leopard. ...

I was able to download it and watch it. Very fast response; no hesitation. Thank you for sharing.

Yes watched the video & reminds me how lucky I have been a couple of times to have not had this happen on follow up, I think I do take leopards a bit lightly !

Here’s the video of Cosimo getting slammed down by the leopard. Jamie acts very quickly with his CZ550 .458 Lott with open sights and kills the leopard. The skill and quickness he exhibited to kill the leopard without shooting Cosimo was incredible! You can see that Cosimo and Jamie have big heavy coats on for a bit of protection. This leopard was shot across the brisket and through one front leg by a 10 year-old boy the evening before. A returning wealthy client from Chicago booked two full bag safaris - lion, elephant, leopard, buffalo and plains game for his two nephews aged ten and twelve years-old! These boys were obviously not experienced hunters and the client should have known better. This all happened on the safari immediately preceding mine.

That was quick!

Looking forward to hearing more!

I had the volume up to load and I kinda jumped out my chair. Never heard a leopard growl like that. Quick response. Notice how the cameraman stayed and other tracker and client withdrew very quickly.

:E Tap Foot::E Tap Foot::E Tap Foot: We're waiting for more. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The suspense for this video is killing me. I’m getting an error message that it failed to upload, but I’m hopeful it just needs some time to upload before I try to open it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RashadSalt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois