Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
RSA,Mozambique,Zim,USA,Asia
My buffalo hunt with Mutemba Safaris Mozambique was a great hunt what a fantastic place. Operated by Wayne Wagner safaris in partners with Tim Otto of Gaza safaris has a concession of over 125,000 acres on the border of Zimbabwe.

Day one we arrived in J-berg and over nighted at afton house then got a morning flight out to Hoedspruit where we where picked up for a afternoon of sightseeing and relaxing before the 14hr drive early the next morning for Mozambique

Day one hunting Mozambique up about 7 am for breakfast then of to check the rifles to make sure everything was on after our flight and drive. After a small adjustment to my 375 H&H we where off to check the pans for buffalo sign on the north end of the concession not much luck for buffalo but lots of lion and leapard tracks. So later that evening we decided to check the southern part we found lots of buffalo sign but mostly herds not the Lone bulls or bachelor bulls we where looking for.

Day two back to the north we found a few track at two different pans and where trying to decide which ones to follow when out steps fate a great kudu crosses our path and my brother decides to go for him it his first trip and that is all he wanted so I said let him have the first one and wow what was I thinking 58 inch brute tracked down after a thirty min stock
image.jpg

Day three back one buffalo early morning again this time we are on them in after about two hrs of tracking five bulls in a group but they know this trick already and bed down in the thickness stuff they can find. We belly crawl to about 10yrds but can barly make out there shaps all I can hear is there breathing. What a rush my PH thinks it best to back out. Wise choose sence he had to shot one at the end of his barrel just week prior with a client. We wait it out 20 min go by and the wind shifts and the rush out thankfully the other direction so we start tracking again. To be continued

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Kudu.
I learned some days it it better to be lucky than good. :)

Congrats.

good start to your trip uintelkhunter
your brother would be happy with a 58inch kudu as a first trophy .

Beautiful bull! That decision is sure to haunt you for awhile...lol....keep the installments coming!

Good looking Kudu. Hunt a long time to find one better. Don't wait too long to continue your story. You have us hooked. Bruce

Day three mid day the buffalo had winded us and left in a hurry so we rest for about a half hr and start tracking them again we followed for a fe miles and most the afternoon before we found them again they had spilt up and we followed two of them in to some low brush about waste high which put everyone on high alert again as we knew they would most likely bed down in it again. A few hundred yrds later we bumped into one he seem to stand up out of know where at about 15 yrds no less and give you the look as if you just woke a angry beast. Like he was trying to decide wether to squash you like a bug or run the other way. All I could think was did I bring enough gun with my 470 nitro pointing his way and could I get both barrels of in time and on there mark. But as fait would have it he was a young bull and decided to wait tempt his strength and he turn and run away. So with only a few hours till dark we decide to make our way back to the truck and look for the little ones just before dark after all I was not just after buffalo I had Suni and sharps gysbuck on my list as well as a big kudu if luck would be on my side. A short drive later with light fading we had made our way to what was named Suni forest. With 15 min of light left we made a quit slow walk to find a Suni cute little animals they are we found 3 that night just at last light. And what an amazing sound they make for such a small animal like a loud lond sneeze echoed by others in the distance calling back but no shooters this evening.

Day four brought a storm in all night with wind and rain in the morning not much luck as most the animals seem to wait it out so a nice brunch back in camp and a plan for late afternoon after the little one again. With more time before dark hopes where high for a Suni we walked the Suni forest and glassed for a few hr but no luck and then just at last light again like clock work we spotted 8 in about 15 mins time but only one male and he was small for that area so I passed.

Day five out before sun up looking for buffalo again this time the weather is good no wind or rain and we are at the first pan as the sun just makes its appearance. No luck second pan the same but on our way to the third pan we cross tracks and begin our chase. We follow them for close to two miles and find they are headed to the third pan we where going to check. So we send the driver back for the vehicle and continue follow them to the pan. We arrive at the pan the same time the truck does and we find our buffalo we were tracking a joined with a group and left together. By this time it is close to 10 am so we took a break for a snack and let the trackers try to sort out the buffalo we were after from all the track 30 mins and a half mile later our buffalo splits off from the big group three bulls one there own again. A mile or so later we cross another road and decide to fetch the truck again and have lunch as it is mid day now and the sun is getting hot. Time to rest and get some shade the buffalo won't go far in this heat I'm told.

A quick rest, food and rehydrated we are on there track we must be close right I thought to myself. A few hrs pass as I Begin to wonder do these things ever stop. One mile turns to two then three by the four mile and about 4pm now just as we clear a termite mound the trackers freeze buffalo in the thick brush to our right at about 40 yrd everyone drops to the ground it to late they spotted us luckily my PH has a good look as says the bull on the far right is a shooter I quickly crawl the few yrds for a small opening I can see thru. By now there are on there feet. And I am in a awkward spot on my butt right leg stretched unable to pull it passed the tracker in fear of having them run at a movement now. I pull up my 470 double aim for low to mid chest from what I could judge in the thick bush concealing my pray. I beguin to shake not sure if it was the way I was sitting with the rifle stretched out or my nerves getting the better of me. I fire. Thud the sound of a bullet as it hits flesh. I connected my rifle recoils and on the rebound I fire the second barrel and he jumps a bit quick as I just shoot under him with the second barrel. They all flee five bulls in total. We see the first three clear a small gap at about 120 yrds. On a dead run no stopping them a quick Change in rifle for my scoped 375h&h and a few seconds later the fourth bull comes thru then my bull with a bit of a limp he is headed straight away I'm told shoot shoot just below the base of the tail shoot. Thwack Texas hart shoot. the dust flies he turns broadside for just a second to see what it was that bit him in the back side as to maybe decide he was going to stand his ground. As I rack another round in and hit him just behind the shoulder. He turns and try's to run away but the damage is done and he is feeling sick. 30 yrds later at a full run he starts to side step and hooks a tree with his horn causing him to flip like a top. Meanwhile I change back to my 470 load two fresh solids and go in for the finishing shoot. We arrive to find him still alive and wrapped up in the tree pumping blood like a fountain. My 375 had found it mark and hit his hart. I put a 470 in his chest and we step back to give him his peace. Two to three minutes pass and he was still as I thaught he was done I begin to say is he done yet well apparently he heard as he seam to spring back to life and try to make it back to his feet again. One more quick 470 round and he was down for good. We give him a few more minutes for good measure to be sure and this magnificent buffalo was done.

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 383
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 377
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your hunt report and pictures!

very nice :beer:

Congrats, thanks for sharing.

A quick rest, food and rehydrated we are on there track we must be close right I thought to myself. A few hrs pass as I Begin to wonder do these things ever stop. One mile turns to two then three by the four mile and about 4pm now just as we clear a termite mound the trackers freeze buffalo in the thick brush to our right at about 40 yrd everyone drops to the ground it to late they spotted us luckily my PH has a good look as says the bull on the far right is a shooter I quickly crawl the few yrds for a small opening I can see thru. By now there are on there feet. And I am in a awkward spot on my butt right leg stretched unable to pull it passed the tracker in fear of having them run at a movement now. I pull up my 470 double aim for low to mid chest from what I could judge in the thick bush concealing my pray. I beguin to shake not sure if it was the way I was sitting with the rifle stretched out or my nerves getting the better of me. I fire. Thud the sound of a bullet as it hits flesh. I connected my rifle recoils and on the rebound I fire the second barrel and he jumps a bit quick as I just shoot under him with the second barrel. They all flee five bulls in total. We see the first three clear a small gap at about 120 yrds. On a dead run no stopping them a quick Change in rifle for my scoped 375h&h and a few seconds later the fourth bull comes thru then my bull with a bit of a limp he is headed straight away I'm told shoot shoot just below the base of the tail shoot. Thwack Texas hart shoot. the dust flies he turns broadside for just a second to see what it was that bit him in the back side as to maybe decide he was going to stand his ground. As I rack another round in and hit him just behind the shoulder. He turns and try's to run away but the damage is done and he is feeling sick. 30 yrds later at a full run he starts to side step and hooks a tree with his horn causing him to flip like a top. Meanwhile I change back to my 470 load two fresh solids and go in for the finishing shoot. We arrive to find him still alive and wrapped up in the tree pumping blood like a fountain. My 375 had found it mark and hit his hart. I put a 470 in his chest and we step back to give him his peace. Two to three minutes pass and he was still as I thaught he was done I begin to say is he done yet well apparently he heard as he seam to spring back to life and try to make it back to his feet again. One more quick 470 round and he was down for good. We give him a few more minutes for good measure to be sure and this magnificent buffalo was done.

Awesome! Did you hunt with Ian?

Congratulations on the buff and to your brother on the kudu. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

Yes Phil I hunted with Ian Brown PH

Day five buffalo down time to concentrate on the little ones morning and night. Midday was for a big kudu. So after the buffalo was in the skinning shed off for Suni that night. Same as the nights before the last thirty minutes of light they all seem to come out. But no luck this night which is ok a buffalo in the salt was good enough for me in one day.

Day six straight to the Suni forest first thing in the morning walked and glassed we even tried to sit and call one in. First time my PH had tried it. Not sure if it would work but along came a young male. I'm not sure if he was just passing thru or alittle cuoirios of the sounds but none the less he was great to whatch. It's amassing how warty these little guys are they take five steps stop look almost motionless then take five for steps and repeat. Well this morning was slow only three Suni so off for the more open areas of the concession to find kudu but to no avail. As luck would have it thou found a good steenbuck for this area and decided to take him.View attachment 21403

Stop for pictures load him up and headed back to the skinning shed no more than a half mile later a good duiker crosses our path a quick stalk later and we add two for the skinning shed today. View attachment 21404

Then back for Suni that night. But it was a bit slow on the Suni.

Day seven only a few days left time to pick my priorities Suni first grysbuck second kudu if there is time. So we spend all day in the Suni forest trying to find that big male. Lots of glassing these little guys are hard to spot we hear there sneeze warning about half the time before we see them. A lucky break comes around noon. As we spot a female and she sends a warning sneeze out and two more reply in the short distance time to hone in and see what is calling back to her. A hundred yards later we find our Suni a monster male in the thick trees he calls home we glass him trying to pick him out from all the tree limbs he is wary knowing something is up cautiously taking a few steps and looking we mimic his movements. As to try not and spook him he makes a mistake and steps into a two foot clearing and posses for a moment bang. Suni down. View attachment 21405

Here are some pics. I'm not sure if they attached earlier.

Attachments

• image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 340
  • image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 345
  • image-3.jpeg
    image-3.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 325
  • image-4.jpeg
    image-4.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 361
Beautiful buff. Sounds like a nice hunt. Bruce

Congrats on a fantasic hunt thanks for sharing and the great pics that Kudu and Buff are awesome.

Wow, what an exciting hunt. Your brother's kudu is HUGE!!! Love your cape buffalo story!

Incredible Suni and a great Buffalo trophy.

Congratulations. Thanks for the hunt report.

Thanks you guys it was a great trip.

Day eight was the last night hunting not much luck for a kudu but managed to get a sharps grysbuck at dark but I already had my stuff packed so I didn't get pics.

Overall a very nice camp well run. Thatch roof with cement pad and tent walls was our living quarters. Great dinning area with a campfire. Hot showers and running water everything was run off solar power. I would highly recomend it to anyone looking for the old Africa style hunting lots of time on foot. Great quality of game.

Wayne has been running this area for over seven years now and is in it for the long term. The game numbers keep increasing every year. We seen lion, sable, Nyala, kudu, impala, bush pig, warthog and lots of small antelope along with sign of leapard and elephant ever were. Also seen a cheeta and some wild dog tracks.

Thank again for the hunt report, WOW what a SUNI, that is an incredible trophy!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg