MOZAMBIQUE: Has Anyone Hunted With Legedema Safaris?

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Safari Dave, May 18, 2019.

1. Safari Dave

Safari Dave AH Member

Video/Photo:
    We are now a few months into hunting season and would really like to communicate with someone who has hunted with Legadema Safaris at their Mozambique concession this season. I know several of their donated hunts were purchased at fundraisers this past winter.

If you have hunted with them, please share you experience.

2. smokepole

smokepole AH Member

Member of:
    nra life member
    Hunted:
    south africa, Zimbabwe, AK, VA, TN, NM, CO KS, SD, MT (USA)
    I am supposed to go hunt with Willie next month. Not all in yet so if at all possible please PM me with more details. I will send you my phone number or send me yours.Please do asap-- don't want to invest any more dollars if not legal and cannot get trophies. thanks a lot

3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    These are the contact details for the Government Agency in charge.

If you prefer FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/mozconservacao/

The website:
    www.anac.gov.mz

IvW likes this.

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    See if the SCI chapters will forward your name and contact details to the people who "won" those auctions.

A short bit of research shows the number of SCI donated hunts.
    Detroit
    Great Falls
    Minnesota
    West Texas
    Texas Alamo

It appears to the the major method of hunt sales.

Good luck.

5. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    If you do not have all the paper work in hand and confirmed one month out, this may well go tits up....I hope not for your sake, all the best and please do keep us updated.

Too many he said x and y knows. Get hold of the relevant authorities and get confirmation of who is who in the zoo. A legitimate concession holder/outfitter should have been able to supply you with all the info and documentation BEFORE you booked the hunt not one month out....

Scott CWO likes this.

6. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    A lot of excellent advice! Everyone should be reading this post. A lot of people are helping protecting other people from having a bad hunt.

Alway look at the numbers (hunt cost) and past hunter success along with personal observations in the field! When a hunt is very low in cost, look at the reasons and try to compare the numbers to a similar area.

Scott CWO likes this.

7. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    So any feedback yet on this situation and hunting in that area???

8. Safari Dave

Safari Dave AH Member

Video/Photo:
    In sifting through the various news that I have heard about this outfitter and concession I am somewhat positive.

I have talked to a hunter who is hunting with him right now

I'm waiting on that first hand report before proceeding.

9. Eric24312

Eric24312 New Member

Awesome, there’s plenty of guys who won these things so it was just a matter of time.. when is the guy come into back ?

10. Alexander Georgio

Alexander Georgio New Member

This concession called BAWA was owned by Safari de Mozambique. An area of 90 000 ha was taken away from Safari de Mozambique and Legadema acquired it in 2017. Early 2019 another 45 000 ha of the concession of Safari de Mozambique was given to Legadema. I did my homework on Legadema as I will be hunting with them soon. See the map of the concession of Legadema. I also kn ow that Safari de Mozambique's aerodrome was closed by the President of Mozambique about a month ago. This means that no future charters will be done into Safari de Mozambique's concession. It looks as if Simon Rodger is not in good standing with the people of Mozambique. I contacted the provincial government who confirmed that Legadema has the sole right to hunt on the area as per the map. I also had conversations with some of the clients who hunted with Legadema in Mozambique and they say that the camp and staff were excellent. I see Safari de Mozambique still advertise on their website that their area is nearly 1 million acres which is not true. It was originally 750 000 acres and is now only half of it. They also still advertise on their website charters into their concession which is not true.

esboço real de relâmpago de ceu_passulane 2019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2019

11. Alexander Georgio

I see that Legadema is the trading name of Relampago do Ceu. Legadema also has game ranches in South Africa and one of my friends hunted there. He say Legadema has 4 star accommodation on their Mountain Lodge hunting ranch. They hunt plains game including sabel, roan and buffalo. The NRA clients that hunt in the Limpopo province stay at Legadema's River Lodge ranch where Legadema also breed with exotic game including black, white, white flanked and saddleback impalas, golden and kings wildebeest, golden gemsbuck, buffalo, sabel and roan. It was easy to confirm this....

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019

12. Alexander Georgio

See referral from a hunter who hunted with Legadema in Mozambique two months ago. The hunters name is Sean Wolfrom from the USA.

"Hi Tim:

All I can say is thanks for inviting me to meet Willie Botha last March and WOW!!! I hunted with Willie in late June and it was by far the best adventure/trip I have taken to date. From the second I landed in Tete, Willie was there to meet me, help me through customs etc. and even arranged for someone to bring my bag with all my gear to camp a few days later when it arrived because it got lost. The lost bag didn't slow us down, Willie and Wayne let me borrow some of their gear and we were off to races!

Traveling to camp is an experience in itself, getting to see the real Mozambique! Once in camp, the adventures started and never ended until I was back on the plane headed home. As you can see from the attached pics, I took a buf, sable, hippo, and croc all of which were great hunts in only 8 days! The only reason someone would not be successful with Willie is because they didn't leave camp! He has the game in his concession! Every day we were on the animals we were after and even some we weren't like elephants, lions, roan and any other plains game you may want to hunt. It seems every day started with picking our way through the herds of elephants when going after the buf and sable!

The number of croc and hippos in his area is scary and I can see why so many people are injured and killed by them. The local villagers were very grateful for all of the meat from the hunt. I can't recommend Willie enough to anyone considering a trip to the real Africa, so much in fact that I'm already working on arranging a return trip next year! Please feel free to pass this along to your SCI chapter members and have them reach out to me if they want more info. Also, please let me know how I can buy a ticket for next years banquet and what the date is so I can mark my calendar. I'm hopeful Willie will be there so we can relive some of the excitement."
    If anybody wat Sean's details I can get it and provide it to you..

13. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    That is good news on a thread that had a very dodgy start....all the best to the hunters and please post reports.

Alexander Georgio likes this.

14. sfuva21

sfuva21 New Member

POST 1 OF 3 (Tried to post all at once but it won't let me).
    -----------------------
    Just back from a 12 day hunt with Willie/Legadema in Mozambique, along with my dad, "smokepole", the guy who did some prior posts seeking information. Quite simply, the operation is legit, and is incredible.

As for the history and relation to Piet H. and Simon R., Alexander Georgio's first post above is consistent with what I've heard from my research (not just from Willie, but from other very knowledgeable sources as well). Willie absolutely has his ducks in a row. I'm not sure how he's so politically connected so quickly - maybe that's what Simon is so salty about - but he introduced us to the chief who leads all the villages on his concession, to heads of the prevailing political party (I donated some sable meat to their campaign so they could feed the local villagers), guys who report to the head of the wildlife division. I have absolutely, positively no doubt that Willie is the fully licensed, legitimate concessionaire for this area. So if you're worried about that stuff, don't be.

As for the hunt itself, I echo the second post above by Alexander Georgio. This is true, wild Africa. I don't think you can get any more remote than this. No fences, game everywhere, tracks everywhere. My dad and I went here because we've done the South Africa ranch hunt thing and wanted to do something wilder. Well, we found it in spades.

And the operation itself is incredible. Per Alexander's post above, Willie and his other PH Reihnard met us at the Tete airport (along with a local who helped us navigate customs), and didn't leave our side until we got through the Tete airport security line 14 days later. They are both knowledgeable and extremely skilled hunters/trackers. And the staff was amazing. There were two trackers - one guy who has been tracking full time for 19 years (and hunting with Willie in South Africa since 2011), another who is a local villager who used to be a poacher until Willie moved in and offered him a job. These guys were insanely good. If you find a buffalo track (or any other track) and are willing to walk, Willie and team will eventually get you on them.

And, you will find tracks. There are game animals everywhere. We saw buffalo herds 6 times FROM THE TRUCK ALONE. If I wanted to, I could have shot two 23"-plus impalas a day every day for the two weeks. Or 2 hippos a day. Or more crocs than I brought ammo for. We got a leopard on the trail cam eating our hyena bait. We passed elephants on multiple occasions. We saw evidence of lions...

[SEE NEXT POST]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM

15. sfuva21

sfuva21 New Member

Post 2...

As it turns out, I got my buffalo on day two, and my dad on day 3 (more on that below). We successfully stalked, and could have easily taken, more buffalo, but when we got up on them we realized they were a little smaller than the monster I was going for if I were going to shoot a second, and so Willie told me to pass up the shot, that we could do better (which was classy, how often do you get told NOT to spend your money??). I eventually added a gorgeous 40-inch sable. Dad added a 12' 2" croc. I added a 24.5" impala. I turned down a shot on a 16" bushbuck that would have been Rowland Ward (then promptly regretted it, but that's of course not Legadema's fault). Had two shooting opportunities on a ~58 inch kudu. And more. Much more. The animals are there.

And I should also mention that my dad is almost 73 years old, has Parkinson's disease, doesn't move very fast anymore or have much stamina, and isn't good with heat (and we had unseasonably hot weather, it was more like October than August). We realized pretty quickly that he may have bit off more than he could chew on this buffalo hunt. Willie and Reihnard made it their personal mission to get dad a buffalo. They worked SO hard. They basically developed a system where one PH and tracker would find tracks and then stalk/follow a herd of buffalo as far as they wanted to roam, until they ultimately bedded down or stopped for a long graze. Meanwhile, my dad and the other PH would drive to the end of the section to where the next road is and then go wait in ambush for the arriving buffalo, monitoring their location by GPS. (Mind you, this wasn't as easy as it sounded because it isn't as if the buff just walk to the tree you chose to crouch behind. Still required stalking and sneaking and crawling - it was every bit that my dad could handle). I can't even tell you how hard Willie and his tracker walked that day. (Or on subsequent days, using a similar method to assist me with my 2nd buffalo attempts, my sable, and with an eland that I really wanted but the wind just wouldn't cooperate). They went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my dad got his opportunity. And you could tell that they were almost as happy as we were. It really meant a lot that they took such pains to make our hunt, and especially his hunt, a success.

[SEE NEXT POST...]

16. sfuva21

sfuva21 New Member

Post 3...

As for the rest of the staff and experience - it was great. Each day my laundry came back looking like it just came from the store - seriously better than my washing machine at home. Rooms were cleaned each day, hot water was ready for coffee 30 minutes before the truck left each morning no matter how early. Skinner was skilled at his craft. Everyone was friendly and helpful - they'd have jumped into the croc pond had I asked them to. Accommodations were comfortable enough - it isn't luxury, nor is it trying to be, but we each had our own large permanent tent with bed, shower, toilet, sink, mirror. Food was plentiful - not fantastic mind you, but I think they are still getting that dialed in. It was fun to eat the animals we shot (different from our South Africa experiences, where they send your kill to the meat shop and it has no relation to what you have for dinner). The camp location next to the mouth of the river is gorgeous - my wife said the sunset pictures looked like a 5 star retreat.

It was also really cool going to the villages and delivering the meat. You can't imagine the level of poverty in these villages. As I understand it, the whole deal with these concessions is that except for a few cuts for camp, the concessionaire is obliged to bring the meat to various villages as a supplemental food source - the meat of the animals that you shoot belongs to the local people. I know I wasn't curing cancer while out there, but it was nice to know that the animals I shot went to feed those who are truly in need, as well as funding conservation.

Side note, if everyone is suspicious about all the SCI donations - as I was - I believe it has a lot to do with what I describe in the prior paragraph. When Willie was granted this concession, it came with an expectation that he would fill his quota so that the people would get fed. Being an upstart (at least in this market), with no online reviews or website photos etc. to market himself, Willie opted to basically "give away the shop" for awhile in order to establish a track record, and to fulfill his obligations to the local community. It wouldn't be well received if he tried to charge full market price in his first year, only shot a fraction of his quota animals, and had to explain to the chiefs and politicians why there is so little meat going to the people.

Basically, in terms of the set-up - not the lodge, not the food, but the quality of the concession, skill of the PHs and trackers, number and size of game - I'm convinced that this is literally as good as it gets, at any price. My dad and I feel insanely fortunate that we swooped in and caught Willie as he was just getting started. We shouldn't have been able to afford this hunt, and a couple years from now I suspect we won't be. If you bought an auction, go book it. Or if not, I'd be glad to buy it from you and go back.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

Shane

17. sfuva21

sfuva21 New Member

POST 1 OF 3 (Tried to post all at once but it won't let me).
    -----------------------
    Just back from a 12 day hunt with Willie/Legadema in Mozambique, along with my dad, "smokepole", the guy who did some prior posts seeking information. Quite simply, the operation is legit, and is incredible.

As for the history and relation to Piet H. and Simon R., Alexander Georgio's first post above is consistent with what I've heard from my research (not just from Willie, but from other very knowledgeable sources as well). Willie absolutely has his ducks in a row. I'm not sure how he's so politically connected so quickly - maybe that's what Simon is so salty about - but he introduced us to the chief who leads all the villages on his concession, to heads of the prevailing political party (I donated some sable meat to their campaign so they could feed the local villagers), guys who report to the head of the wildlife division. I have absolutely, positively no doubt that Willie is the fully licensed, legitimate concessionaire for this area. So if you're worried about that stuff, don't be.

As for the hunt itself, I echo the second post above by Alexander Georgio. This is true, wild Africa. I don't think you can get any more remote than this. No fences, game everywhere, tracks everywhere. My dad and I went here because we've done the South Africa ranch hunt thing and wanted to do something wilder. Well, we found it in spades.

And the operation itself is incredible. Per Alexander's post above, Willie and his other PH Reihnard met us at the Tete airport (along with a local who helped us navigate customs), and didn't leave our side until we got through the Tete airport security line 14 days later. They are both knowledgeable and extremely skilled hunters/trackers. And the staff was amazing. There were two trackers - one guy who has been tracking full time for 19 years (and hunting with Willie in South Africa since 2011), another who is a local villager who used to be a poacher until Willie moved in and offered him a job. These guys were insanely good. If you find a buffalo track (or any other track) and are willing to walk, Willie and team will eventually get you on them.

And, you will find tracks. There are game animals everywhere. We saw buffalo herds 6 times FROM THE TRUCK ALONE. If I wanted to, I could have shot two 23"-plus impalas a day every day for the two weeks. Or 2 hippos a day. Or more crocs than I brought ammo for. We got a leopard on the trail cam eating our hyena bait. We passed elephants on multiple occasions. We saw evidence of lions...

[SEE NEXT POST]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM
    JDMonson likes this.

18. sfuva21

sfuva21 New Member

Post 2 of 3...

As it turns out, I got my buffalo on day two, and my dad on day 3 (more on that below). We successfully stalked, and could have easily taken, more buffalo, but when we got up on them we realized they were a little smaller than the monster I was going for if I were going to shoot a second, and so Willie told me to pass up the shot, that we could do better (which was classy, how often do you get told NOT to spend your money??). I eventually added a gorgeous 40-inch sable. Dad added a 12' 2" croc. I added a 24.5" impala. I turned down a shot on a 16" bushbuck that would have been Rowland Ward (then promptly regretted it, but that's of course not Legadema's fault). Had two shooting opportunities on a ~58 inch kudu. And more. Much more. The animals are there.

And I should also mention that my dad is almost 73 years old, has Parkinson's disease, doesn't move very fast anymore or have much stamina, and isn't good with heat (and we had unseasonably hot weather, it was more like October than August). We realized pretty quickly that he may have bit off more than he could chew on this buffalo hunt. Willie and Reihnard made it their personal mission to get dad a buffalo. They worked SO hard. They basically developed a system where one PH and tracker would find tracks and then stalk/follow a herd of buffalo as far as they wanted to roam, until they ultimately bedded down or stopped for a long graze. Meanwhile, my dad and the other PH would drive to the end of the section to where the next road is and then go wait in ambush for the arriving buffalo, monitoring their location by GPS. (Mind you, this wasn't as easy as it sounded because it isn't as if the buff just walk to the tree you chose to crouch behind. Still required stalking and sneaking and crawling - it was every bit that my dad could handle). I can't even tell you how hard Willie and his tracker walked that day. (Or on subsequent days, using a similar method to assist me with my 2nd buffalo attempts, my sable, and with an eland that I really wanted but the wind just wouldn't cooperate). They went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my dad got his opportunity. And you could tell that they were almost as happy as we were. It really meant a lot that they took such pains to make our hunt, and especially his hunt, a success.

[SEE NEXT POST...]

JDMonson likes this.

19. sfuva21

sfuva21 New Member

Post 3 of 3...

As for the rest of the staff and experience - it was great. Each day my laundry came back looking like it just came from the store - seriously better than my washing machine at home. Rooms were cleaned each day, hot water was ready for coffee 30 minutes before the truck left each morning no matter how early. Skinner was skilled at his craft. Everyone was friendly and helpful - they'd have jumped into the croc pond had I asked them to. Accommodations were comfortable enough - it isn't luxury, nor is it trying to be, but we each had our own large permanent tent with bed, shower, toilet, sink, mirror. Food was plentiful - not fantastic mind you, but I think they are still getting that dialed in. It was fun to eat the animals we shot (different from our South Africa experiences, where they send your kill to the meat shop and it has no relation to what you have for dinner). The camp location next to the mouth of the river is gorgeous - my wife said the sunset pictures looked like a 5 star retreat.

It was also really cool going to the villages and delivering the meat. You can't imagine the level of poverty in these villages. As I understand it, the whole deal with these concessions is that except for a few cuts for camp, the concessionaire is obliged to bring the meat to various villages as a supplemental food source - the meat of the animals that you shoot belongs to the local people. I know I wasn't curing cancer while out there, but it was nice to know that the animals I shot went to feed those who are truly in need, as well as funding conservation.

Side note, if everyone is suspicious about all the SCI donations - as I was - I believe it has a lot to do with what I describe in the prior paragraph. When Willie was granted this concession, it came with an expectation that he would fill his quota so that the people would get fed. Being an upstart (at least in this market), with no online reviews or website photos etc. to market himself, Willie opted to basically "give away the shop" for awhile in order to establish a track record, and to fulfill his obligations to the local community. It wouldn't be well received if he tried to charge full market price in his first year, only shot a fraction of his quota animals, and had to explain to the chiefs and politicians why there is so little meat going to the people.

Basically, in terms of the set-up - not the lodge, not the food, but the quality of the concession, skill of the PHs and trackers, number and size of game - I'm convinced that this is literally as good as it gets, at any price. My dad and I feel insanely fortunate that we swooped in and caught Willie as he was just getting started. We shouldn't have been able to afford this hunt, and a couple years from now I suspect we won't be. If you bought an auction, go book it, and don't give it another worry. Or if not, I'd be glad to buy it from you and go back.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

Shane

JDMonson likes this.

20. Safari Dave

Safari Dave AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Shane -

Thanks so much for posting this reply.

I know that myself and several other hunters who bought hunts with Legadema at fundraisers last winter can breath a sigh of relief now that someone who has actually hunted the concession with Legadema/Willie Botha has chimed into the conversation with real, first-hand information.