MOZAMBIQUE: Has Anyone Hunted With Legedema Safaris?

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Safari Dave, May 18, 2019.

1. Safari Dave

Safari Dave AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I know that several people bought donated hunts to SCI chapters and other organizations this winter from Legedema Safaris.

I bought one also for May 202o and really need hear from hunters who hunted with them in this year in Mozambique.

Please PM me with reports.

I am planning on taking my family of 4 in May of 2020.

1) My main goal is to take a decent cape buffalo
    2) let my son shoot a plains game animal or two and catch tiger fish
    3) let my wife and 19 -ear old daughter have a decent time, take pictures and not leave Mozambique with a tropical disease.

I don't want or expect a 5-star resort, but really need to hear reports about the Legedema operation and the Mozambique concession.

If you learn something, please let me know.

Thanks!

Dave

2. slaltha555

slaltha555 New Member

Hi Dave,

It's a great concession and a true African experience with large herds of buffalo and array of African antelope species the camp is situated on the river bank with plenty of tigers, vundu and bream to be caught.

If you plan on taking a Hippo or Crocodile in the near future this would be the place to do it! There are absolute monsters in the river systems surrounding the concession!

Remember your malaria tablets and you should be just fine!

All the best with your trip and safe travels!

3. Safari Dave

Safari Dave AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Have you hunted with Legadema?

If so, please tell me about your experience.

If not, please tell me how you know about the operation and concession?

I would really appreciate it!

4. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    https://www.africahunting.com/threads/mozambique-hunting-information.14215/

Lots of good information here.

I am always skeptical with donation or auction hunts, especially into wild Africa locations.

Make sure you know where you are going, which block?Who is the Mozambique outfitter? Who is the Moz PH? Do they have the necessary permits for the animals you intend hunting?This includes the Cites export permits.

It is a great place to hunt but, can be a nightmare in the wrong place with the wrong outfit....

My understanding is Safaris De Moçambique owns this concession...

5. Safari Dave

Safari Dave AH Member

Video/Photo:
    The way I understand it is that Willie Botha of Legadema Safaris obtained the concession a couple of years ago.

It's 250,000 acres on the southwestern shore of Cahora Bassa.

I would like to communicate with as many people as possible who have hunted this concession with Legadema.

6. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    Paperwork? Moz PH? Permits? Cites permits?

All in place and you have copies thereof in your hand? Then you are good to go if your "understanding" means you have been told so then I would suggest getting the paperwork in hand....May 2020 is not far off....

7. Chris burton

Chris burton New Member

I hunted this concession for more than 10 years as it is owned by Simon Roger. I have not heard of this Willie chap in the area and suggest anyone booking with this company first gets hold of Simon Roger. The area that is described was never a great area for Buff, the better part of the concession is way in the West of the area. If anyone has more questions regarding the area ask me I know it well.

Scott CWO and IvW like this.

8. Chris burton

Chris burton New Member

Ge
    Get hold of Simon before booking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
    IvW likes this.

9. Eric24312

Eric24312 New Member

Just to add a little to this, I also won an auction with him and did the research.

Simon bought the area he now has from a guy named Piet Hougaard. He then lost this section to Willie.

I spoke to Piet directly and he told me he now hunts to the south and Willies area had good game populations as long as Willie has a good anti poaching program in place.

I think Piet is the best solution to get an honest answer on anything but it's tough to tell. His story and Willies line up more then Simons.

Sounds like there plenty of game in Willies area (according to Piet) but who knows the real operation he is running. Would be nice to find guys who actually went with him.

10. slaltha555

slaltha555 New Member

I've just recently got back from doing some photography work at the concession in question, from my understanding what Earl has said regarding the area is true it was run by Simon and was transferred to Willie in 2017? if I'm not mistaken. I can vouch for healthy populations of game aswell. The tented camp is situated on the river bank with a breath taking view across the river, friendly staff and a knowledgeable outfitter will definitely make your trip one worth remembering!

JDMonson likes this.

11. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
    I have hunted with Simon and spoke with him. My understanding is that this is a bad situation where someone is trying to encroach on his area with the help of a corrupt local official that doesn't have the power to allow a new outfitter. The area in question is the eastern part of Simon's area where there are few buffalo and lots of poaching. Buyer beware!!

IvW likes this.

12. slaltha555

slaltha555 New Member

I wouldn't personally takes Simon's word on the whole ordeal I mean wouldn't you be abit sour if officials transferred a good piece of your concession over to a new outfitter?

As far as I know everything is above board with nature concervation and having met both chiefs of the land on which the concession is situated I would also comment that Willie seems to be in good standing with the community.

As Eric said I think Piet would be able to give you an the most unbiased opinion on the whole situation.

13. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
    You guys are all new members. Are you in business with Willie? This is a weird situation.

I saw far more buffalo on the western end of Simon's area near the Zim border. That's where I shot mine. The eastern area had lots of people. The buffalo pics I have seen from the east were not mature.

IvW likes this.

14. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    Pieces of concessions do not get transferred to new outfitters....

"As far as you know" what does that mean? Hearsay? You either have it in official documentation or not...

In good standing with the community means squat when you are after good animals especially DG...

As @Scott CWO has mentioned this area is too far east...

On the Zim border is best for buffalo ...

With only hippo and croc 1 picture of each on the net I would be very cautious booking this for a buffalo hunt....

Furthermore selling a US$37000(valued at) hunt online for US$9000 flags red in my book anyway. If this area was so good why the need for auction hunts and donation hunts? Typical of a dodgy area especially when it is DG and especially when the deal seems too good to be true it probably will not been close to your expectations...

By the way the camp is not situated on the Zambezi river but rather 3/4 up the Caborra Bassa dam...

I have hunted various "dodgy" what seemed like good deal areas in Moz and burnt my fingers more than once..

Again do you have the relevant paperwork and information on hand? Moz PH? Outfitter docs? Permits? incl Cites where needed or not? If not run Forest run....

Keep us updated but personally I think you have got a bad deal....

Scott CWO likes this.

15. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    ANAC
    ADMINISTRAÇÃO NACIONAL DAS ÁREAS DE CONSERVAÇÃO
    Avenida 10 de Novembro, nº 40, Praceta 1196
    Maputo – Moçambique
    Tel. (+258) 21302362 / Fax. (+258) 21302373
    Email: geral@anac.gov.mz

ack and IvW like this.

16. slaltha555

slaltha555 New Member

My apologies for using the word "transferred", please rectify my English.

According to your first post "your understanding" of up to date ownership of this concession is clearly wrong.

Unfortunately I'm unable to give "official documentation" as I only visited the concession.

As far as I'm concerned being in good standing with the locals means something.

My apologies the body of water in front of the tented camp not "river" makes for a beautiful view.

I would agree Dave should get all relevant documentation in hand as nessary with any safari trip planning.

Unfortunately I feel your personal opinion wouldn't mean much seeing as you haven't hunted the area or with the outfitter.

I can vouch for there being a very healthy population of buffalo on the concession having visited recently.

17. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    I have had a few surprises in Moz, I have advised that all relevant paperwork should be in hand to avoid any nasty surprises. If you do not have the necessary documentation in hand it is risky business.

Maybe Safaris de Mozambique don't own the rights anymore which would mean a recent change. Maybe the owner is great who knows. Just make sure everything is above board is my advise. This particular outfit are selling ridiculously low cost auction hunts...I would be weary to say the least..

Latest one 10 day crocodile hunt for US$ 1000(excluding trophy fee), @100US$ a day,I ques the client will be eating what he can catch in the lake...you can never support a ten day hunt in that remote area for 1K no matter who you are...

I may well be wrong in which case, I am looking forward to the hunting report then.....

Scott CWO likes this.

18. Safari Dave

Safari Dave AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I really appreciate the input from everyone.

The location of the camp is:

15°45'03.2"S 30°58'33.2"E

Zimbabwe is 29 kM to the south and 61 kM to the west.

Seems like a perfect place for crocs & hippo since it's on the shore of Cahora Bassa, but I want to make sure it is decent for buffalo because that the only thing I really want to take there.

They posted a good buff on their facebook page as taken this week:

https://www.facebook.com/legademahunting/

Still going to try my best to talk to any reference who hunted there this season. Please contact me.

19. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    Unfortunately not a hard bossed bull...

Scott CWO likes this.

20. Chris burton

Chris burton New Member

Guys I hunted there for 10+ years so this is not heresay.... Simon bought the area from Piet hougaart in 2005. There was very little infrastructure there at the time and there has been huge development by Simon both in the camps he built and in the villages. He also developed the road system and waterpoints dotted around this huge concession. As I understanď it he still owns the area... If this is in question... get a hold of Simon. If you want it straight from the horse's mouth... he is the horse that owns the place. I dont think Piet Hougaart has been back there in the last 10 years so not sure how much he knows about the place now..Simple.... Or you can contact the Mozambique pro hunters association and ask them. Or get hold of Simon's past clients and ask them..I can give references. Or get hold of the current pro hunters in the area. I can give their details. It is a small industry and all us guides know or know of each other but I have never heard of Willie Botha from S.A.. Google Willie Both and SHAREMAX comes up. Hope it's not the same guy. It seems to me the prices are way to cheap, again having worked this area I know the logistics of running it...it's not cheap. I like to tell potential clients that ask after deals... IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE...IT NORMALY IS. I have seen many people sink good good money into crappy safaris, it generally leaves a bad taste for african safaris and we the guides loose future days because of shysters... Yes I am a new member because we as guides are going onto these forums to try clean up our industry. If anyone has questions feel free to ask me. And lastly in all the time I was hunting there never once did I go to that end of the concession to hunt buff... too many people there and too few buff. Croc yes... but most land dwelling animals were few and far between. Hope this helps and please guys do your homework before parting with your hard earned money.