MOZAMBIQUE: Dream Buffalo Hunt

Joebliksem

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique
Me and my dad just returned from our second trip in a month in Mozambique. It all started two years ago in Zimbabwe. We were on our first buffalo hunt after I was able to convince my dad to go on his first buffalo hunt, something he has dreamed about all his life. The bug bit him, and we started making plans for a second trip.

The area we hunted borders Gonarezhou and is classic big game country. After months of preparing, practicing, packing, planning and some more practicing we were on our way from Pretoria. As we crossed the Limpopo river the excitement started building up again. After months of waiting, we were finally here.

upload_2018-8-27_9-17-49.png

Limpopo river

Our first trip, that took place in July, was extremely successful, except for the fact that we didn't get our buffalo. We hunted hard. We saw a ton of buff, but just didn't get that bit of luck you always need. We came close on a number of occasions, but something always bit us in the ass. The wind turned at the last moment, a cow walked in front of the bull down the alley we could shoot, the buff was still too young. We went in search of an old bull, a bull with character whose breeding days was over. We got close to scrumpet bull, a bull with broken down horns. It is the type of bull we would take in a heartbeat, but the wind busted us and the bull crossed the border into Zim. We ended up hunting an extra day to get our bull. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. All in all it was a great hunt. We gave our everything. My dad is 67 and he's going in for a knee replacement this December, but not once did he complain. In 7 days we only saw the camp during the day once, and that was for lunch. We racked up the miles! He's one tough bastard.

So we made plans to go back. We found a week that suited both me and my dad, and last Tuesday we were back on our way. Each day started out the same. Up at 4, get some coffee, and go check the waterholes for fresh tracks. Wednesday morning, our first day of hunting, we found fresh tracks of a lone bull. 09:15 that morning we found him. But as luck would have it, we found him laying down in the thickest stuff you can imagine! Just as we made out the silhouette of him the wind turned and he went crashing through the bush. And... it was our broken horned bull!

upload_2018-8-27_9-37-52.png

Where we found the bull

After waiting 20 minutes we were in pursuit of this warrior once again. We tracked and tracked an tracked, but couldn't catch up. This bull knew he was being hunted. They don't get this old for no reason. He was a smart boy. After another 5 hours of tracking in some serious heat, we made the call to head to the car. The rest of the day was uneventful in terms of buffalo, but we did see very nice eland, kudu and a big python that afternoon.

Day 2. We were up at 4, quick coffee and made the drive to a different part of the concession. We track 4 bulls for over 6 hours, before bumping them in very thick stuff and making the call to go and have lunch.

upload_2018-8-27_9-45-56.png

upload_2018-8-27_9-46-40.png

This is where things got interesting. That afternoon, whilst driving from waterhole to waterhole to look for tracks, we found a small group of buffalo next to the road. We drove on for a kilometer and walked back to start tracking them. We couldn't catch up, but our ph thought they were heading for a waterhole three kilometers away. We sent the trackers back to the car with the instructions to pick us up at the waterhole at quarter to six. We got to the waterhole, but no buffalo. Half past 5 the trackers drove in. They found a lone bull sleeping under a tree on their way to the car! By the time we got to the area where they found him it was to late and dark to go after him, so we made the call to go back early the next morning.

upload_2018-8-27_10-12-46.png

upload_2018-8-27_10-13-19.png

The next morning we started at a waterhole close to the spot where they found him. We found his tracks and it was game on. The wind was perfect. We had a feeling that our luck was starting to change. Less than a kilometer from the waterhole the sticks went up. My dad got on the sticks. The buffalo was lying down behind a bush. He got up, walked out of the bush. My dad shot, hitting him hard with a 400 grain soft, I made a quick backup shot with a 500 grain solid. He was down on the spot. Ten hard days of hunting has payed off. We couldn't have asked for a better bull, hunt or experience. Next year we will be back for my bull. Stay tuned ;)
upload_2018-8-27_10-16-28.png

upload_2018-8-27_10-18-36.png
upload_2018-8-27_10-19-41.png
upload_2018-8-27_10-17-37.png
upload_2018-8-27_10-33-37.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jacques smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Joe
Welcome to AH. Nice job on post
Tenacity won out Congrats to your dad and you. You both have great memories and trust me, his knees were killing himjacques

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania
Congrats on the nice buff and thanks for sharing!

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Well done!!! You are right, your dad is tough!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Well done, congrats!

jasyblood

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
USA, RSA(Limpopo x 4, Eastern Cape x 2, Northern Cape x 1, Northwest x 3), Hungary, Serbia, Zimbabwe
Congratulations to you and your dad!! Great old buff!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Welcome to AH.

Congratulations to you both. Great hunt and a nice trophy.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Excellent report! Welcome to AH! We’ll be looking forward to your buffalo! Thanks for sharing what looks and sounds like a grand time with your dad!

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
The trophies we hunt hardest for are the ones we remember the most. You have great stories to tell and a beautiful trophy. Your dad may of put in the 1st shot, but its your trophy too as you worked as hard as he did.
Glad he was able to do it with his knees. I had both replaced 14 months ago so I know all about it. Congrats
Bruce

Roan

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NHSA, SA Wingshooters, SA Hunters
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Joebliksem hahaha like die naam!

Where did you hunt? With whom did you hunt?
I am keen to go to Moz soon.

Cheers

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Congrats to both of you on a great hunt, and thanks for sharing the story.

Gsxrmike

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, SCI, DSC
Hunted
Zimbabwe, USA
Sounds like a great adventure with your dad. Nice buffalo!

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Well done! Congrats. And welcome to AH.

Powdermaker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada , Namibia, South Africa, Germany.
What an amazing hunt.... Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story.

Neil Molendyk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,CCFR
Hunted
Alberta Canada,Saskatchewan Canada, Namibia, Limpopo RSA, Eastern Cape RSA
Congratulations to you and your Dad. That grand old bull has the face of a deposed king and a priceless story to go with it.

Neil Molendyk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,CCFR
Hunted
Alberta Canada,Saskatchewan Canada, Namibia, Limpopo RSA, Eastern Cape RSA
Just curious, who was the outfitter and PH?

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Congratz on a proper buffalo hunt! Thank you for sharing

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Congrats to you and your dad, for a great hunt and buffalo. (y)(y)

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Proper!

Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
antonioroy

Latest profile posts

Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?
Defosse wrote on Kouprey's profile.
Hello Kouprey,

I'm the little little son of Louis Defosse and i'm living in Saigon VIetnam. I'm trying to find some information about ma family and i saw your post where you wrote the Defosse family. Please i'm really interested to know more and share all your information about my family. I tried to find some in Vietnam but very difficult. Please i will be happy to read you soon.

Regards,

Stéphane Defosse