Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Right chaps I'm thinking about moving up from my 375 H&H. I'm considering a 416 Rigby what would the rest of you do?? I do need to consider recoil as I'm only 5 ft 2 tall and come in at 65KG so yes I'm small but when I take the 375 out I can get 50-60 rounds accurately down the range before I start to feel tender.

Your size could be an advantage. My experience is that smaller people absorb less of the recoil as they roll with it, thus allowing them to take more shots. Conversely, bigger shooters move less which MAY allow them to have a quicker second shot with less (but still some) practice but that practice often takes longer as they feel it more as they absorb a little more.

As for cartridge choice, 416 Rem is cheaper for brass than 416 Rigby. That been said, it would be the Rigby for me everyday.

My vote is for the 404 Jeff a pretty stout round and recoil on the order of the 375HH, of course I'm biased

Right chaps I'm thinking about moving up from my 375 H&H. I'm considering a 416 Rigby what would the rest of you do?? I do need to consider recoil as I'm only 5 ft 2 tall and come in at 65KG so yes I'm small but when I take the 375 out I can get 50-60 rounds accurately down the range before I start to feel tender.

416 my friend! Is there a hippo in your future?

416 my friend! Is there a hippo in your future?
With that rifle yep. Just waiting for a price from merkel for a 140AE double

My vote is for the 404 Jeff a pretty stout round and recoil on the order of the 375HH, of course I'm biased

Im looking at a double by merkel and they dont do a 404 jeff

Oh it's a double? Gotta be rimmed :)

What do they do them in? Can't find much about them, their site is crap.

470NE would be the smallest rimmed they do it in. I had a good look at them at the shooting show and was impressed they have two sets of pawls before you say anything

I missed the show this year. 470 would be a great choice but maybe a little larger than what you want?
It's not that I don't trust doubles in rimless cartridges, is just that rimmed cartridges just 'fit' better. They look right. Purely a romantic thing :)

What do they do rimless?

375 H&H and 416 rigby

Gotta be the Rigby then unless you fancy the 470 in your life.

TBH I'm still not totally sold on the idea of up sizing and getting a double as I can cycle that bolt PDQ and can get 2 shots off in 1.28 secs on average (375H&H). Thing is I'm good pals with my RFD and if I go for the merkel I would get it at a VERY good price.

Nowt wrong with a nice bolt gun. I don't know how much a Merkel 140 is but a Rigby Big Game starts at £6285 for the PH and goes to £9258 for the Deluxe or Vintage.

I would imagine the Merkel falls somewhere in that bracket.
Just seen about your mate, hmmmm well if it's a steal then maybe that would sway you but if you are a bolt gun guy you may never really gel with it.

I would be paying less than that

I recently did a Ft. Lbs. of recoil for my 11.5 lb.Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby shooting a 400 Gr. pill at 2350 fps. The calculation came out to 53.58 Ft. Lbs. I don't know how much a Merkel 140 AE weighs. Your numbers will be higher or lower depending on the weight of the rifle. From what I've read, stock design has a lot to do with "felt recoil" whatever it is.

I recently did a Ft. Lbs. of recoil for my 11.5 lb.Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby shooting a 400 Gr. pill at 2350 fps. The calculation came out to 53.58 Ft. Lbs. I don't know how much a Merkel 140 AE weighs. Your numbers will be higher or lower depending on the weight of the rifle. From what I've read, stock design has a lot to do with "felt recoil" whatever it is.

My 375 H&H feels like a 30-06 due to stock cut

No but I have good access to Holts besides my 375 is an A Francotte. Just been on the holts website and they have a good quantity of 470NE ammo for sale!! How much more recoil could it be for a 470NE??!!!

Sorry that a no to bolt action but less than the PH thats a big fat yes

if this is a double rifle we are talking about then i would never use a rimless cartridge. if you dont want to move to a 470 NE then you should go with the 450/400 NE, i just checked and Merkel does make them.

for the record the 416 Rigby will have roughly the same recoil as a 470 NE. the 450/400 NE will be more like your 375 in terms of recoil.

-Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinaabu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.