Mounting a scope on a single bridge Mauser .416 Rigby

First things first. Where is the hunt report and photos of your hunt earlier this month? Did you get a Buff with your Mauser?

I bought a 308 Norma Mag, then I bought a package of two 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mausers one built in 1916 and the other in 1942 by Husqvarna. I'd been looking for one of the latter for several years. Lastly I purchased a CZ Custom Shop 404 Jeffery. I haven't received it yet. I bought it off an AH member that lives in Africa, but the gun was in the States.

I know I need to write a detailed report but right now I am in no condition to get myself to do it . The reason being is this year harvesting season is late about 3 weeks and I have 130 000 acres to harvest. Russian harvest window is very short and when I start thinking about the things that can go wrong I am about to loose my mind .
I will just post some pics and if you have any questions I will answer but the report has to come later when I am back to sanity :)
By the way shootist43 I am jealous about the husquvarna Mauser :) congrats..
CHR_2970.JPG
CHR_3002.JPG
CHR_3000.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG

NICE!!! Ok we'll give you a little time to get your harvesting done, but we do expect a complete report. I see that you didn't use your Mauser on any of animals shown in these photos.

What are you harvesting, winter wheat? All your own crops or someone else's as well?

NICE!!! Ok we'll give you a little time to get your harvesting done, but we do expect a complete report. I see that you didn't use your Mauser on any of animals shown in these photos.

What are you harvesting, winter wheat? All your own crops or someone else's as well?

I could not take my Mauser with me because the paperwork was not done .my guys in Istanbul messed up and I had no time to do it myself . I was hoping to take it with me this November to an elephant hunt but right now I am not sure that's happening..
I will be harvesting wheat ,barley,sunflower,corn,linseed,green peas and soybeans..
They are all our crops ... oh and I also have a little bit of cotton that I have to harvest back in turkey but that is not a concern right now .

Hi everyone,
I have done my first safari last year in SA and I am hooked, and I hope to visit Africa every year for as long as my health and my wealth allows-)after my return Istanbul I decided to purchase a rifle worthy of big game hunting in Africa and I was lucky enough to find this beauty in Istanbul,Turkey . I need your help on how to mount a scope without changing the safety lever.
I am also not sure if I want to mount a scope on this and if I do how to do it and what will be the best scope to mount.
Thank you very much in advance for your precious comments.
I also would like to thank Serapa Safaris crew here especially Jacques for making my dreams come true.

View attachment 171621 View attachment 171622 View attachment 171623 View attachment 171624 View attachment 171625 View attachment 171626 View attachment 171627 View attachment 171628 View attachment 171629
I think the original question has been answered, but I wanted to compliment you on a beautiful rifle. That is the epitome of classic safari rifles.

Also, I'm sure you likely know, but those foam cases can rust blued steel like crazy...be careful of long term storage in that case unless you wipe on a healthy coat of oil.

The year of production can generally be determined either from the serial number or other identification markings on the barrel. You should be able to look up this information online.

That '0-6 has a nice piece of wood on it. I know that I'd be proud to own it. Keep us posted.
got it :)))

Good for you!! Now you have a scoped rifle for PG whether at distance or up close.
PawPrint Safaris is offering an AH group hunt in July 2018. Since that time frame is sort of the off-season for you, why not consider joining us?

Will you be posting your hunting report any time soon?

Good for you!! Now you have a scoped rifle for PG whether at distance or up close.
PawPrint Safaris is offering an AH group hunt in July 2018. Since that time frame is sort of the off-season for you, why not consider joining us?

Will you be posting your hunting report any time soon?

İ will do my Best to join .. as for hunting report i have about 25 000 acres left to harvest.. when I am done i will sit down and write a very detailed one .. I promise .. now you are going to ask me when did I have the time to purchase the gun ?? I received a WhatsApp message and could not resist the discounted offer .. apparently the guy who was supposed to have purschased it changed his mind at the last minute ... when my gunsmith heard that the rifle is still available he made this indecent proposal:))
Now we have to decide what kind of scope and any other accessories to purchase..
I appreciate in advance for all your suggestions..
IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful grain, very nice rifle indeed. Congratulations.

Personally, I really like the Swarovski scopes. I have also been a beneficiary of their warranty (on a pair of binoculars), and they really are super easy to deal with. What about a Z8i 2-16, which would be great for driven hunts and long shots?

Asking what scope to mount is like opening a can of worms. There are lots of good optics choices available. Any of the higher end optics manufacturers would be fine. I use both fixed and variable power scopes depending on the game, distance, terrain etc. I like lower powered scopes whether they are fixed or variable. My most recent purchase was a Leupold 2.5 - 8 x 36. I mounted it on a 308 Norma Mag. that I will be using on the AH group hunt. I will also be taking my 404 Jeffery. Currently it sports a NECG aperture (peep) sight, I'm torn between leaving it as it is or mounting a low powered scope on it. I'm in the process of loading ammo for it, depending on how well I do with it at the range will determine which way I go.

If you would like to see more info on the AH group hunt, contact "billc" the rep. for Pawprint.

This is my personal view on optics-

For a plains game type rifle: Rule of thumb is 2x magnification for each 100 meters you wish to shoot. So, a 30-06 or similar, which is generally a 500 meter rifle (at most) would get an optic that goes up to 10x. For myself, my vision isn't perfect as I have aged. I tend to say 3x per 100 meters. My plains game type rifles wear variable power optics ranging from about 2x-12x or so. I have a few that go to 14x and I like them, especially for range work as I can truly dial in the zero. Never assume your zero at maximum magnification is the same as it is at lowest magnification...always test it.

Objective size is relative to your shooting style, rifle, and body type. For a 2-12 variable power optic, I generally want an objective lens around 40mm or so. Big objective lenses cause you to mount the optic higher...which then means you stock shape might not be able to get your head/eye up to alignment with the optic and you need to be looking through the center of the optic. Larger objective lenses really aren't that much of an advantage, assuming you are using a quality optic.

Eyebox is an issue. A forgiving eyebox on the back end will give you a lot of wiggle room to compensate for field positional shooting. Shadowing will show you how forgiving your eyebox is.

Eye relief...I like around 3 inches or so.

Tube: 30mm is fine. Really, 1 inch is fine too. More tube gives you more adjustment for your turrets but you rarely need it unless your mounts/rifle are somehow not square.

Reticles are relative to what you want it to do. Most hunting optics are 2nd focal plane, so the reticle is not going to stay consistent in terms of size, relative to to target, as you increase magnification. This is generally fine for hunting use but if you want to use a specialty reticle that calibrates range/adjustment...2nd plane makes that hard. 1st plane optics are more expensive, heavier, and the reticle will remain consistent, relative to the target, regardless of power. This actually can be annoying at some settings as the reticle looks huge. However, if you wish to use a "Christmas Tree" type reticle with built-in holdovers, you should go 1st plane.

Illumination is great but keep in mind, anything electronic will fail. Batteries leak and die. Never store them with the battery in. I like basic illum...but I am fully aware that it can fail and cripple an optic. Test waterproofing on it in your sink.

Brands- I prefer Schmidt and Bender. I've used them for a decade during some hard use situations and they flat out work. They are heavy, bulky, and durable. Swarovski and Zeiss are also great. I have 2 Leica riflescopes and both have some minor optical flaws that make me leery of buying more. They were early models though.

Mounts are just as important as the rifle. Brownells sells scope alignment tools. Always assume your rings are not true/round/aligned. I bought the lapping tool and it works well. Use a proper torque wrench and don't overtighten. You will damage the scope. Loctite all things screw related. Blue only.

For dangerous game...all of the above applies but it needs to go to true 1x and a red dot illumination is ideal. Removable optics are nice for DG rifles.

Beautiful grain, very nice rifle indeed. Congratulations.

Personally, I really like the Swarovski scopes. I have also been a beneficiary of their warranty (on a pair of binoculars), and they really are super easy to deal with. What about a Z8i 2-16, which would be great for driven hunts and long shots?

This Z8i really looks good :) . I keep reading the reviews and it is becoming more attractive by the minute :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!