Mounting a red dot/RMR on a new Chapuis Elan-anyone done it?

BGHNTR416

AH senior member
Reaction score
My right eye has betrayed me and the front bead with open sights is really fuzzy. So, looking to use an RMR style red dot. I have one coming from Leica that should have the ability to use a picatinny style mount and it looks like there is fixed mount weaver base available for the Elan. Is this what people are doing or am I missing something?

This article covers a lot on RMR style optics on doubles. I am not familiar with the rib of the Chapuis Elan but the information presented should give you good ideas.

1680651171819.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup, @Just Gina had JJ machine in slits on the rib and he placed a raised head screw to sit it against. Works really well.

Yup, @Just Gina had JJ machine in slits on the rib and he placed a raised head screw to sit it against. Works really well.
JJ is always the person I send all my DR to for full inspection as well as installation of my red dot scope

I have the Brousse model Chapuis 375H&H. It has removable blocks in the top rib--and I'm pretty sure that all Chapuis doubles have the same feature. I had a gunsmith in Dallas make a mounting plate to screw into spot after removing the block. The Trijicon RMR mounted flush to the rib and works great. That was five years ago. Trijicon now makes quite a few mounting plates for rifles and pistols to make mounting a RMR easier.

trijicon red dot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did see and read through the post that Mark is referring to and have also made note of the conversations mentioning JJ. He is highly regarded. Chapuis placed blocks in their ribs that are removable and supposedly Recknagel mounts can be used on these rifles. Chashardy, just saw your reply. I may follow your example if I can't find a plate that will work. Thanks for the input.

Here are some pics of Gina's Elan. Not sure if there is a mount available to go into a removable block. Good question for @Tom Leoni

20230404_191230.jpg
20230404_191150.jpg
20230404_191137.jpg

There is a Recknagel Fixed mount Weaver base (size small) that can be mounted directly on the front one of the two blocks of the Elan. Part number 66010. It can take Aimpoint or any other red dot that can be mounted on a Weaver base.

Thanks Tom. I did find that as well. Is the front block removed first?

I have the Brousse model Chapuis 375H&H. It has removable blocks in the top rib--and I'm pretty sure that all Chapuis doubles have the same feature. I had a gunsmith in Dallas make a mounting plate to screw into spot after removing the block. The Trijicon RMR mounted flush to the rib and works great. That was five years ago. Trijicon now makes quite a few mounting plates for rifles and pistols to make mounting a RMR easier.

View attachment 526940
Which gunsmith did you use? I'd like to have a plate made for the same purpose. The RMR mount I have would fit on the existing plate if it didn't have those raised surfaces on the front and rear ends of it. I thought about milling it flat and rebluing it, but would like to save it in case I ever wanted to mount a scope

I happened to have a Warne M902/830M base. The hole spacing lined up. I just had to do a bit of grinding to remove part of the front of the base, then mounted this onto the rib. I was then able to mount a picatinny mounting plate to the base.

Which gunsmith did you use? I'd like to have a plate made for the same purpose. The RMR mount I have would fit on the existing plate if it didn't have those raised surfaces on the front and rear ends of it. I thought about milling it flat and rebluing it, but would like to save it in case I ever wanted to mount a scope
I went to Ray's Sporting Goods on Singleton. Can't remember the name of the gunsmith upstairs.

My right eye has betrayed me and the front bead with open sights is really fuzzy. So, looking to use an RMR style red dot. I have one coming from Leica that should have the ability to use a picatinny style mount and it looks like there is fixed mount weaver base available for the Elan. Is this what people are doing or am I missing something?
i had JJ Perodeau mill mine for me given i bought it from Champlain.

Here is my solution. I went a slightly different route with mine.
I talked to JJ and I had already bought a base from him for another rifle to look at. It mounted the red dot much higher than was my preference. The rib is lower on the other rifle and not objectionable .
After looking at all the options, I ordered this from EuroOptic. https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-RMR-Steel-Block-Mount-for-Custom-Shaping-RM62.aspx.

I removed the front block in the rib. After some careful consideration and machining, I ended up with the front mount in the picture. The dovetail mount is behind it for a height comparison. I left .030” clearance between the red dot and the rib.

The sight picture allows for me to shoot it without putting something on the stock to keep my cheek weld. The base is not quick detachable, I would have to remove the screws from the red dot to use the iron sights. The base is very secure, using the screw holes in the rib.

While the RMR62 part has a dull black coating, it is only slightly magnetic. This leads me to believe it is a stainless alloy. The material was gummy and I did put it on my surface grinder for final finishing for size and surface finish.
I am convinced it would not blue and I am not going to worry about it.

I am not a gunsmith nor a machinist, but a gunsmith would have no trouble making one.

First shots were within 4” both directions and easily brought to center.

IMG_1971.jpeg

Attachments

• Trijicon RMR Steel Block Mount for Custom Shaping RM62 For Sale - EuroOptic.com.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg