Mountain rifle combination - Request for opinions

IMG_7710.JPG

So this is what it turned out to be:
Tikka T3x Lite in .308Win
Zeiss Terra 4-12x42
Aimsonic Silencer 42S
Weight 3.8 Kg as it is on the picture.

Hope to get to the range on Saturday. Only available ammo in my area is PMP and ProAmm so I got a few boxes of ProAmm in 150gr.
Hope to scan the gunshops in PE next week for other options of ammo.

//Gus

E633BC5F-1AE5-4E5E-A38A-2C464016DF75.jpeg
That outfit should do you well! I like it!
Just fired handloads in my Tikka T3 Lite 300 WM yesterday. 3 Barnes 165gr TTSX in one hole at 100 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tikka boar hunter with rail, chambered in 338 winchester magnum. Rifle weight is 6.5 pounds.

I have a Weatherby Ultra Light in 30/06...5 3/4 #s before scope...Super accurate..Bell n Carlson Medalist stock..Very comfortable..6x42 Meopta

View attachment 239255 That outfit should do you well! I like it!
Just fired handloads in my Tikka T3 Lite 300 WM yesterday. 3 Barnes 165gr TTSX in one hole at 100 yards.

Wow!!! That is some wonderful shooting. Not only from the rifle, but the one behind the trigger as well. Well Done!

//Gus

So, I got to head out to the beloved mountains in the Eastern Cape.

Seems like the equipment works as needed.
Distance of shot was 246m with no way to close the distance. The ram stood dead still behind a bush so I could only see his feet and lower body. He stood still for 45min before he moved clear. Patience is a virtue...

IMG_7859.JPG

Area of the hunt.
IMG_7852.JPG

He looked really big and I shot a 7 1/8 in the same area last year so I wanted to see how this one turned out. Very rough and not being anywhere near a certified measurer, it sure looks promising.
072f2d26-16e4-4e27-b32d-b100d690f78a.jpg

Thanks for everybody’s input and views.

//Gus

So, I got to head out to the beloved mountains in the Eastern Cape.

Seems like the equipment works as needed.
Distance of shot was 246m with no way to close the distance. The ram stood dead still behind a bush so I could only see his feet and lower body. He stood still for 45min before he moved clear. Patience is a virtue...

View attachment 240312

Area of the hunt.
View attachment 240313

He looked really big and I shot a 7 1/8 in the same area last year so I wanted to see how this one turned out. Very rough and not being anywhere near a certified measurer, it sure looks promising.
View attachment 240314

Thanks for everybody’s input and views.

//Gus
Congrats and well earned!!

View attachment 239241

So this is what it turned out to be:
Tikka T3x Lite in .308Win
Zeiss Terra 4-12x42
Aimsonic Silencer 42S
Weight 3.8 Kg as it is on the picture.

Hope to get to the range on Saturday. Only available ammo in my area is PMP and ProAmm so I got a few boxes of ProAmm in 150gr.
Hope to scan the gunshops in PE next week for other options of ammo.

//Gus
I am genuinely curious - why that thing on the end? In .308 and at 7 lbs or so recoil is a non-issue, and I would assume noise abatement isn't exactly critical on the Eastern Cape. It seems to turn what should be a handy mountain rifle into something very different. All that waving about out there is the last thing I want on one of my rifles for hitting the high places. My current favorite is my KR1 because the telescoping action gives me a very compact package in a full length .270. Resting in the backpack boot the muzzle is at my shoulder. As I say, just curious about the logic.

Congratulations and well done!
Did you by any chance recover the bullet? If so, please add a picture and info at the Bullet Performance thread.
Thanks

I am genuinely curious - why that thing on the end? In .308 and at 7 lbs or so recoil is a non-issue, and I would assume noise abatement isn't exactly critical on the Eastern Cape. It seems to turn what should be a handy mountain rifle into something very different. All that waving about out there is the last thing I want on one of my rifles for hitting the high places. My current favorite is my KR1 because the telescoping action gives me a very compact package in a full length .270. Resting in the backpack boot the muzzle is at my shoulder. As I say, just curious about the logic.

Many of the landowners in this area have restrictions about using rifles without silencers.
Their land and their rules. So comply or don’t hunt on that land.
I must say that the times I’ve shot herd animals and using a silencer the other animals seem less stressed or scared after the shot and haven’t run away and as far as when I have used a rifle without it.

So it is not by choice that it was added, although the noise and recoil reduction is welcomed it is less handy.

//Gus

Edit: The added length is 128mm so I guess about 6in.

Last edited:
My "Mountain rifle combination"..... Mauser 66 S in 6,5x68 with a Leupold 8,5-25x50 scope on EAW.

DSC00337.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,