Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Canada, Hungary, Burkina Faso
One of my mounts had some hair slippage and I thought it might be insects. I had it checked out by a taxidermist and he said it was just a result of some poor taxidermy work or tanning done years ago and that there was no sign of insect infestation. Nevertheless, I treated everything with the Mount Medix product as I heard some good things about it. I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with the product -- it is supposed to protect against insect damage. Thanks.

I just purchased some Mount Medix product as well. Does anyone have experience with it?
I have had moths in the past on my deer mounts. Although I have been bug free for a while, I didn't want to take any chances with the African mounts.
If anyone has bug proofing advice, I would be interested in hearing it.
Thanks

Luckily I have never encountered bugs with any of my mounts.
I hope you guys have found a solution.

Never seen a bug on any of my mounts!

That is a good thing CAustin. Not sure how I got so lucky. Little moths
Showed up one - destructive little bastards I can tell you.

McKenzie sells a cedar flavored spray that I've used for several years now. I've had good luck with it as we tend to get moths certain times of year. Really best guy to ask is probably Denis at @The Artistry of Wildlife

This may well be something I need to pay more attention to in the future.

Whatever you decide on using, do it now! Once you get an infestation, a lot of damage can occur in a hurry. I had 2 whitetails go as bald as me before I knew it. It is too late before you even know what's happening. Better to be proactive. An ounce of prevention ...........

I use mount medix twice a year. All mounts /rugs go outside and get a good cleaning and a spray down with it. I know that no mounts leave the local taxidermy shop without this either. Mounts = thousands$. One bottle 20$. No brainier for me plus it smells nice.
Oh, one thing we see is guys don't take mounts down from the wall before they spray (hard to reach , heavy mounts or Because it's easier) and bugs get between wall and mount and cause damage.

Ok - that is good to know. I will take mine off the wall when I spray. Just waiting for my product yo arrive. Thanks for the tip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois