AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Cameroon, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia.
Having been on 14 African safaris, I have yet to ever write a review about a hunt. However, because of the exceptional hospitality, camp conditions, and hard work by Tyron and Anna Marie, owners of @MORETLA SAFARIS, I feel compelled to write a review about this fine hunting outfit.

This safari, like so many, started with an overnight stay at the Afton House, Elize, manager, is always a gracious host. Mr. X picked me up at the airport, took me to their B&B, where I was fed a delicious steak dinner, great accommodations, wifi, and a nice breakfast, all for 170.00, US. For this particular hunt, I borrowed Tyron’s gun so that saved me the hassle of permits and such. I believe the Afton House charges 100.00 to handle gun permits.

Tyron and Anna Marie picked me up promptly at 8am, then we made our way 3 hours north into the Limpopo Province for my 6 day hunt. Along the way they pointed out various sights, and made sure to stop a couple of times to stretch my legs and use the restroom.

Their camp was extremely nice, in fact, almost too nice. I know, who would say such a thing, but seriously, this camp has been totally revamped, and it is very modern. My room was very large, super high ceiling was of thatched material, my favorite, the bathroom was spacious and had a large walk-in shower. The dining area, outdoor fire pit and seating area were first rate. Not that I ever turned it on, but there is a huge TV one can watch. I sat out at night at stared at the fire. Probably 40 yards from the fire pit is a nice size pond where lots of wildlife came and drank. I very much enjoyed watching the 50 plus buffalo come in and drink. No, they do not offer buffalo hunting here, but close by they do. Often while sitting and relaxing at camp something came into drink, actually, I do not recall there ever being a time when I could not look out and see something.

My day, like most safari days, started around 5:30 to 6:00am, mostly cereal for breakfast, then off to hunting. We would return to camp around 11-12, have a wonderful brunch, then rest until around 2:30-3:00, then we would head back out to hunt until nearly dark.

What I really enjoyed on this hunt is that every night but one, Tyron cooked dinner over coals from the fire that we would be sitting and watching. I really enjoyed that Tyron and Anna Marie did 100% of the cooking, and believe me, meals were awesome! My absolute favorite meal was tenderloin from an nyala I shot, that was super delicious. In fact, all evening meals but one was game meat! You don’t always have that opportunity.

As to the hunting, one would need to look at their website to see what all they hunt. Having hunted so many times in Africa there was not anything on quota that I did not already have, so I took one of their hunting packages, posted on AfricaHunting, and then I added 3 more animals. Quality of game was right good, hunting conditions, depending on where I hunted, varied from fairly open, to pretty thick. For those who bow hunt, they have nice blinds. My method of hunting was driving around, mixed with getting off the cruiser and taking walks.

As I stated in the beginning, because of the exceptional hospitality, hard work by both Tyron and Anna Marie, they are both PH’s, and the wonderful camp conditions, I just feel these two deserve for me to write a review. I did not feel the need to take a day trip here or there, but that was an option as well.

For those taking their first safari, or 20th safari, I just cannot recommend these folks and this camp any higher.

Andrew62

IMG_1651.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spoke with them at several shows and have been impressed. If I get 20 safaris in before I die, I suspect I'll make it here at least once.

Thank for allowing us to host you, you certainly arrived as clients and left as friends, there was always time for a good laugh and a photo.

I hunted with @MORETLA SAFARIS as well, and while I know that different people have different expectations, and that it's hard to please everybody all the time, if you end up hunting with them and you aren't impressed, then I think there may be something wrong with you. Take everything that Andrew said and imagine it a multitude of times better! I think you'd be hard pressed to find better people than Tyron and Annemarie anywhere! And do they ever WORK! Yes, they do all the meals (Their 'secret recipe' Blesbok burgers I think are still the best burgers I've ever had!) and it's with things like that they create a very family like atmosphere. They truly want you to have the best time with them that you could possibly have, and they will do whatever they can to make that happen. They will work very hard to get you the animal that you want, and to accommodate your hunting style and preferences. Just ask. Be upfront with what you want, and if it can happen, this husband and wife super combo WILL make it happen. I totally expect to hunt with them again, and even if (for whatever reason) I found myself hunting elsewhere, I'd make every possible effort to get to see them before I came home. Even if it was for just a day hunt or if they were booked, then even just for a visit!
So, yes..... you DO come as a client, but leave as a friend. A special place with special people will help make your Africa dreams come true!

Beautiful Nyala and gemsbok!!! What else did you hunt while you were there?
Blue wildebeest, female sable, warthog, and a giraffe. I had previously taken a giraffe, and I soon learned you can shoot 100 impalas and no one will say a word, but shoot just one giraffe, and you are hated, lol. Anyway, it had been determined that there needed to be one giraffe culled, and if I were the one to take it, the camp staff would be able to have the meat. So with the offer made to me I decided to go ahead and take another giraffe.

Blue wildebeest, female sable, warthog, and a giraffe. I had previously taken a giraffe, and I soon learned you can shoot 100 impalas and no one will say a word, but shoot just one giraffe, and you are hated, lol. Anyway, it had been determined that there needed to be one giraffe culled, and if I were the one to take it, the camp staff would be able to have the meat. So with the offer made to me I decided to go ahead and take another giraffe.
That's a good mix of animals!! Hahaha yeah I bet some people were up in arms about a poor giraffe lol. I wouldn't mind shooting a big old bull giraffe and just might one of these days.

Congrats for a great hunt !

As to that giraffe, I am thinking that maybe, on my next safari....

Giraffe.jpg

Looks like a really nice, well taken care of camp with some very good hosts. Thanks for all the great photos and congrats on some great trophies. Elize at Afton was really fun to talk to when we were there back in Aug 2021. But my wife found too many things to buy there hahaha. Mr X handled our rifles and that went super smooth. Actually one of the easiest parts of the logistics.

Congrats for a great hunt !

As to that giraffe, I am thinking that maybe, on my next safari....

View attachment 427904
My wife got one back in Aug. He was 15 and interfering with the younger bulls. Our PH said never in 26 years of guiding had he had a woman ask to hunt Giraffe. I guess first time for everything.

GIMOMG-20210826-WA0024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a really nice, well taken care of camp with some very good hosts. Thanks for all the great photos and congrats on some great trophies. Elize at Afton was really fun to talk to when we were there back in Aug 2021. But my wife found too many things to buy there hahaha. Mr X handled our rifles and that went super smooth. Actually one of the easiest parts of the logistics.
The camp itself has just undergone a complete renovation. I honestly thought all the buildings were brand new!!! As I get older, I must admit I really enjoy having AC in my sleeping area!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg