More loads for 9.3x64 Brenneke

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
these from an old note book that recently reappeared.
as usual, the statement that these loads are what happened in my gun and were safe in my gun.
others might vary, requiring caution and common sense. work up to these loads from below.

270 gn speer
ar2209 77 gn 2683 fps
78 gn 2717 fps good safe max
79 gn 2734 fps

re 15 66 gn 2542 fps too much pressure. expected more from this powder based on available data.
this bullet is quite explosive at these speeds and might suit small deer, feral goats, and pigs, with side on shots.
it fully loses its core and turns the jacket inside out in wet clay.

286 gn nosler partition
ar2209 76 gn 2630 fps
this bullet fails to realize the potential of this case in terminal performance.

286 baarnes tsx
ar2209 69 gn 2400 fps
71 gn 2450 fps
73 gn 2530 fps this bullet is very long and the above charges were heavily compressed.
seated out on a longer magazine it would have a lot to offer with more speed.

293 gn tug
ar2209 73 gn 2520 fps
75 gn 2580 fps a truly great bullet in the 9.3x62, it becomes less of a big game bullet at 9.3x64 speeds. might suit sambur and red deer.

ar2209 is sold by hodgdon as h4350.
it seems to be an optimum choice for the 9.3x64,with bullets from 270 gns up to 300 gns requiring some compression.
it is relatively temp stable.
all loads were with fed 215 primers.
coal to fit in a 30/06 length mag.
i have put 300 gn swift loads on this forum as well.
re 17 and re16 might be worth trying in this case.
bruce.

Last edited:
a few comments on this cartridge.
with the popularity of the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74, bullets have obviously evolved for their velocity range.
the 9.3x64 is capable of somewhat greater speed, and this is both its strength and weakness.
weakness because many bullets cannot deliver the terminal performace required to benefit from its capabilities.
for bigger game, swift 286 and 300 gn aframes will deliver.
the 286 barnes will not allow enough powder of optimum burning rate to be used, but the 250 barnes is of interest.
i have not used northfork type bullets, but they look like a good candidate as well.
the nosler partition blows its nose off at these speeds, potentially deflecting the base part form its intended course.
it is in fact more suited to smaller game where the blowing up nose can destroy lungs, while still allowing for texas heart shots with the base, but only if the base will continue in a predictable direction.
bruce.

Bruce,

Pretty nice there amigo. You're making a lot of sense with that post.

Unfortunately the 64 like many other rounds gets over bulleted and over loaded until it becomes something that it was never designed to be, and that is a big cancerous game stopper.

von s,
when i read that the 9.3x64 is as good as the 375 h&h, i just had to see how much truth is in that.
i sold my 375 and built a 9.3x64.
so far the jury is still out, but i have to confess i cannot yet tell the difference on the game i shoot.
both rounds fill a niche in my shooting requirements, and i like them both equally.
a shooter moving into this cartridge area might be advised to go for the 375 for 2 reasons.
firstly components and ammo are more readily available for the 375.
secondly, the 9.3 needs to use handloaded ammunition to compete with the 375, because in factory form, 9.3 ammo uses bullets meant for the 9.3x62 and x74, which do not cope well with the x64 velocities..
however, for inquisitive minds the x64 is an interesting ride.
bruce.

Bruce, I have 3 bolts and two semi's in the 64 . One I built and the other 4 came from a collections that I bought out.

The Russians use that round in sniper rifles.

As you well know it's experimentation that makes gun ownership fun and makes it so you have to go to the range all the time.

So Bruce, tell me.....why aren't you making your own bullets? Get a lathe and start machining out some bore riders.

Over the years I have noticed that a guy will get something like a 7-08 and then hop it up in an attempt to turn it into a magnum. The 375 hh is a really great round and is an absolute joy with a good 270 grain bullet. But then what happens? Someone attempts to turn it into a Weather by or a deadly game round by shooting something close to 400 grains out of it and it starts to loose the qualities that made it popular to begin with.

The 64 is a great round. Where and what do you plan on slaughtering with it?

von s,
interesting you have semi autos in 9.3 x 64.
yes the ruskies seem to use it like the free world uses the 338.
i have cast thousands of bullets for long range black powder tatget shooting, and paper patched most of them.
this is as far as i am prepared to go with self manufactured bullets.
time is my enemy.
no point in overloading ammo.
1st priority is safety.
second priority is function. equal third is accuracy and terminal performance.
if you want more gun, get another gun.
i have a 280 rem and a 7mm stw. both have a place.
the x64 is primarily intende for aust feral game from donkeys up, which includes horses, camels, sometimes cattle.
the gun could come in useful for certain deer hunting if the opportinity arises, and of course we live in hope of a water buffalo one day.
choice of bullet for buff and cattle is clearly the 300 gn swift at around 2500.
not saying this outfit is the best by any means, but it is what i have.
i made the stock myself, and it has a little cast in the heel, and a little more in the toe.
during the process of making it, the scoped barreled action was installed, and wood removed a little at a time for a good fit.
i can look at an object, close my eyes, bring up the rifle, open my eyes, and the crosshair is on the object.
bruce.

these from an old note book that recently reappeared.
as usual, the statement that these loads are what happened in my gun and were safe in my gun.
others might vary, requiring caution and common sense. work up to these loads from below.

270 gn speer
ar2209 77 gn 2683 fps
78 gn 2717 fps good safe max
79 gn 2734 fps

re 15 66 gn 2542 fps too much pressure. expected more from this powder based on available data.
this bullet is quite explosive at these speeds and might suit small deer, feral goats, and pigs, with side on shots.
it fully loses its core and turns the jacket inside out in wet clay.

286 gn nosler partition
ar2209 76 gn 2630 fps
this bullet fails to realize the potential of this case in terminal performance.

286 baarnes tsx
ar2209 69 gn 2400 fps
71 gn 2450 fps
73 gn 2530 fps this bullet is very long and the above charges were heavily compressed.
seated out on a longer magazine it would have a lot to offer with more speed.

293 gn tug
ar2209 73 gn 2520 fps
75 gn 2580 fps a truly great bullet in the 9.3x62, it becomes less of a big game bullet at 9.3x64 speeds. might suit sambur and red deer.

ar2209 is sold by hodgdon as h4350.
it seems to be an optimum choice for the 9.3x64,with bullets from 270 gns up to 300 gns requiring some compression.
it is relatively temp stable.
all loads were with fed 215 primers.
coal to fit in a 30/06 length mag.
i have put 300 gn swift loads on this forum as well.
re 17 and re16 might be worth trying in this case.
bruce.
Yes I’m thinking the same. Has anyone with the 9.3 x 64 ever worked up loads with alliant 16 and 17 and willing to share. They work brilliantly in the Ruger 375 and the burning rate should be ideal for anything above 250 gr Bullets.
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,