Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I have a moral dilemma I would never normally dream of putting on this group. We hosted a family of 3 hunters and wives 3 years ago at our lodge. They shot great animals, everyone got along and it was a fantastic time. I think they had a hunt better than they had expected. One couple visited as at a show in the US.
Fast forward 5 years and they let us know theylll be hunting soon with another outfit in our area and would we like to meet up with them there. Possibly they wanted to hunt a different area, his price was probably cheaper as well, we didn’t ask the reasons and we’re cordial in our response. The dilemma we have is that the outfitter has a horrible business reputation, staff are leaving by the droves, talk of financial trouble and it would’ve been the last place I’d recommend if they’d asked me.
Do I warn them of the dangers of going on their trip with this outfitters or will is seem sour grapes to them not booking a 2nd time with us. Have had it on occasion where clients will come to us a few times and then try a different place for the experience. It hurts a little, our business is very personal after all but I can understand the thinking and respect it. This I can’t, they haven’t done the necessary research prior to booking the proprrtly else they’ll see what everyone else already knows. What do I do?

A} wish them well on their hunt
B} tell them they’re about to make a huge mistake.

I’m genuinely caught. What would you do as an outfitter. What would clients do in this situation.

I would tell them. Perhaps just point them to some third party reports about this outfitter, so it does not seem like just coming for you. Also I would not write this, or text this, but call. Best is to never have anything written remaining. Just a short heads-up, like "I heard you are booking with x, I do not want to be a party pooper, however I've heard this and that, and here is some third party who was also not very pleased, perhaps you can reach out to them. In any case it is all up to you".

If they know that you know where and whom they booked with, knowing it is in the same area as you, if they have a bad experience, they will know that you knew that things were bad there, but did not say anything. That will look like much more "sour grape" than just being upfront.

Absolutely do not warn them. You are not the outfitter police. There is no upside for you by interveining. You concern is admirable but stay out of it.

Tough choice doesn't look good talking bad about another person's operation, but hate to see friends get a bad deal too. I am not sure I would say anything just to not be trash-talking someone. They made a poor choice most likely and will learn why some deals are such "deals"

Only if they ask…which is a little late now. Assuming they’ve already paid their deposits. An unsolicited opinion from you could be interpreted as just rivalry.

Only if they ask…which is a little late now. Assuming they’ve already paid their deposits. An unsolicited opinion from you could be interpreted as just rivalry.
Actually, I agree, if they have already booked/paid, then the damage is already done, no point anymore but wishing them good luck.

But I think this will bite you in the ass either way.

just wondering as you said they hunted with you 3 years ago....but fast forward 5 years.... :E Head Scratch: ...and I would stay quiet....most likely outcome you would be the bogeyman....if they were interested in your opinion they would have asked before booking......

I would tell them. Perhaps just point them to some third party reports about this outfitter, so it does not seem like just coming for you. Also I would not write this, or text this, but call. Best is to never have anything written remaining. Just a short heads-up, like "I heard you are booking with x, I do not want to be a party pooper, however I've heard this and that, and here is some third party who was also not very pleased, perhaps you can reach out to them. In any case it is all up to you".

If they know that you know where and whom they booked with, knowing it is in the same area as you, if they have a bad experience, they will know that you knew that things were bad there, but did not say anything. That will look like much more "sour grape" tha
I have a moral dilemma I would never normally dream of putting on this group. We hosted a family of 3 hunters and wives 3 years ago at our lodge. They shot great animals, everyone got along and it was a fantastic time. I think they had a hunt better than they had expected. One couple visited as at a show in the US.
Fast forward 5 years and they let us know theylll be hunting soon with another outfit in our area and would we like to meet up with them there. Possibly they wanted to hunt a different area, his price was probably cheaper as well, we didn’t ask the reasons and we’re cordial in our response. The dilemma we have is that the outfitter has a horrible business reputation, staff are leaving by the droves, talk of financial trouble and it would’ve been the last place I’d recommend if they’d asked me.
Do I warn them of the dangers of going on their trip with this outfitters or will is seem sour grapes to them not booking a 2nd time with us. Have had it on occasion where clients will come to us a few times and then try a different place for the experience. It hurts a little, our business is very personal after all but I can understand the thinking and respect it. This I can’t, they haven’t done the necessary research prior to booking the proprrtly else they’ll see what everyone else already knows. What do I do?

A} wish them well on their hunt
B} tell them they’re about to make a huge mistake.

I’m genuinely caught. What would you do as an outfitter. What would clients do in this situation.
B) first, then A)
F them. They’re not really friends, just past business associates (their prerogative). If they were not going to use you this time around, they should have at least been up-front and solicited your opinion, or remained silent. The fact they want to meet up with you now is shady, and by inference, rubbing your nose in it. At least that’s how I would feel. IMHO.

I’m one who does not hunt with a previous outfitter simply because I like seeing different areas, different camps, meeting different PH’s, sometimes different species. Sometimes, in the very same camp, 2 hunters traveling together, hunting the same species but with different PH’s will have totally different experiences. Let them figure it out, you’ll look like a spoiled 3 year old if you say very much.

These are not relatives - not even in-laws. These are nice paying clients who hunted with you once three years ago. You are under no moral obligation to them. Were they potentially going to their deaths, that would be one thing. But a bit of a potential headache through a learning experience? Sounds to me that it will do them good.

If you step in, however carefully, you are the only one who will emerge as a bad guy.

I would suggest that during the period mentioned, you will unfortunately have other clients in camp, but you hope to see them again in the near future at one of the shows.

No good comes of bad-mouthing one's competition, especially if it's true. Your former clients won't love you for telling them they upscrod, they will think you are being negative because YOU didn't get their money, they will tell the person they booked with what you said (probably augmented) causing THEM to hate and possibly sue you for defamation.
Let 'em take their lumps. They earned them.

No dilemma at all.

Not your problem. Dont say anything there is no upside. The comment in this thread “your not the outfitter police” is perfect.

I know that sounds cold when you are trying to keep a reputation as a ‘good guy’; but in the end they made their choice of who and where.

Against all odds maybe they’ll think its great.

Don't step in. It's their choice and they will ask if they want to. Who knows maybe they will will still have a great hunt. If not, you do not want fingers pointed in your direction.

I'm in the don't tell them camp. Like my dear departed father used to say "You make your bed and you lie in it". They made the choice. If they didn't do their due diligence, it's not your problem. Another thing my father used to say "Some people just have to learn the hard way".

You can't say anything or else you'll be the asshole in the end. It kinda brings up a good topic though, some people just don't want to go to the same place more than once, even if they had a good time. I'm planning my second safari right now but I'm not totally sure if I want to go with the same outfit I did the first time. I would kinda like to see other places and operations.
I vote not to say anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois