Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
You may have seen from my other posts that I hope to hunt plains game in Namibia in 2018. I have narrowed my time frame down to late May or June; but a friend recently suggested I should think about the moon...which was a new one on me. I will probably book a non-trophy hunt, possibly with a trophy kudu added on to the list. What are your views of the impact of the moon at its various stages?

The moon is important if you intend to hunt at night.

Otherwise, I don´t believe it makes any difference.

If you are hunting non trophy animals it is not an issue.

If you were bow hunting I might put some effort into it. Otherwise, weather and time of year have more impact than the moon.

ie. May for Kudu rut.

Have fun.

It doesn't hurt to look at it, but for the hunt you're considering I don't think it would be a huge deal? Talk to your PH and get his opinion.

At night it Def makes a difference as @Nyati states.

I like hunting the rut in May! I'm hunting later this month during the dark phase of the moon for some night critters. But in general, you will have more activity during the day than if the moon is full.

Thanks, it will be my first safari so I'll probably be posting a lot more questions over the forthcoming months.

You may have seen from my other posts that I hope to hunt plains game in Namibia in 2018. I have narrowed my time frame down to late May or June; but a friend recently suggested I should think about the moon...which was a new one on me. I will probably book a non-trophy hunt, possibly with a trophy kudu added on to the list. What are your views of the impact of the moon at its various stages?
If you're bow hunting, I recommend being there during a dark moon. This just helps hunting during the day as animals are less likely to move at night without any moonlight. Action at waterholes and during daylight should increase during a dark moon as the animals move to feed and drink.

If you're rifle hunting, it's probably not as much of an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're bow hunting, I recommend being there during a dark moon. This just helps hunting during the day as animals are less likely to move at night without any moonlight. Action at waterholes and during daylight should increase during a dark moon as the animals move to feed and drink.

If you're rifle hunting, it's probably not as much of an issue.

This ^^

I'm a bow hunter and plan my hunts around the dark of the moon. Animal movement during the day dropped off noticeably during the full moon when I was in Namibia last month.

Thanks, I'll be using a rifle. Good to get an overview of the effect of the moon though.

...possibly with a trophy kudu added on to the list. What are your views of the impact of the moon at its various stages?

Dark / new moon for trophy Kudu even in rut season...my believe!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross