Montana Rifle Company

Luvthunt

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Anyone have one of these in a heavy caliber [375 or above.] ? Looking for info on quality and long term usage and accuracy.
Also any one used their custom shop and Were you satisfied.
I am looking at a 458 Lott in the V2 model.
Really would appreciate any help and advice you have.
ThankYou

Luvthunt, mine in 375 H&H has been a quality rifle. I’ve only taken it on two of my trips, but it has performed well. I typically only do 3 shot groups, but the only factory ammo that shoots 3 over 1 1/2” at 100yds is the PPU 300gr soft. I’ve fired factory loads as follows:
Federal 300TBBC
Federal 300 Nosler Patition
Federal 300 Swift A-Frame (3 in 3/4”)
Federal 300 Sledghammer
Swift 300 A-Frame (fastest factory load and 3 in 7/8”)
Barnes 300 TSX (3 consistently in 5/8-1”)
PPU 300 FMJ
PPU 300 SP (worst factory load at a bit over 2”)
Hornady 300 FMJ (shoots 1 1/2” below Barnes 300TSX @100yards, 3 in 7/8”)

I do have one complaint and that is I believe it could use a bit stronger magazine spring. The last round occasionally seems to not grab the cartridge. In all fairness, it may be me short stroking it occasionally. I’m not sure.

You are welcome to pm me with any questions. Good luck in your research!

Last edited:
so noted on the magazine spring-- will definitely look at that asap
Thanks for the heads up!!

Reactions: ack
Luvthunt,
I have a 505 Gibbs DGR, 416 Rem in the V2 and a custom built rifle on the wonderful 1999 action in a 458 Win. Plus several light rifles including a 300 H&H that was custom chambered by MRC. All of my MRC rifles shoot extremely well. I really like the V2 in 416, it is light but recoil is very manageable due to the stock design.
As @Ridgewalker stated I also feel the magazine springs are not stiff enough and also feel that the floorplate latch spring is also to light for a heavy recoiling rifle. I brought this up to one of the reps for MRC at the Outdoor Channel Show in Houston this year and he was taking the feedback home with him.
I have sold quite a few of the MRC rifles and haven’t had a disappointed owner return yet.
Feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance.
Cheers,
Cody

luvthunt, I have easily fired over 1000 rounds from my 375 H&H. The barrel came with the bore extremely smooth. Thus it has been very easy to clean. Nothing seems to copper foul much. As a matter of fact my Barnes 250 TTSX handloads using CFE223 shoot best after fouling a few previous shots with another load. The Barnes 235 TSX seems to be the most accurate putting 3 rounds into 5/16” at 100 meters when I do my part. So, MRC makes a very accurate rifle at least mine is.

B-338 AND RW,
Thank you for the info.
B338–am in the market for a 458 Lott and have been considering a Kimber Caprevi or a CZ from AHR. The MRC will need additional thinking.

B-338 AND RW,
Thank you for the info.
B338–am in the market for a 458 Lott and have been considering a Kimber Caprevi or a CZ from AHR. The MRC will need additional thinking.
My 458 Lott is a Caprivi, it is a wonderful rifle but I had some quality issues with it right out of the gate. It almost resulted in me going to their customer service center in Montana and inserting the rifle into an inconvenient location of a very rude customer service agent, placing proper postage on his forehead and stuffing him into a mailbox to Yonkers NY! Kimber took care of me after I contacted the president directly, he was great to deal with and restored my faith in Kimber.
Forgive my rambling but my point is the potential for a defefect is there regardless of which rifle you choose. The CZ should be great after Wayne works it over as he does wonderful work at AHR but still you are sending off a brand new rifle to be worked on. I would talk to MRC and specifically voice concerns on the above and I bet you will be pleased with the product you receive right out of the box.
I’m not bashing the CZ either, have several of them and really like them. Choose which fits you best.
Cody

I’ve got a Montana in 458lott. I don’t have much to complain about. When I ordered it I was told around 4-5 month lead time. That time came and went they told me another month still nothing ended up taking about 7 months. I cracked the stock at the tang the first day I shot it. I had shot 12-13 rounds through it. I contacted Montana and i sent the gun back and they restocked it with a fairly quick turn around time. The rifle will shoot less than 1 inch with iron sights. I would have no problem ordering another from them. I don’t know what weight you want your Lott to be mine ready to go is 8.2lb. Which is quite a bit lighter than most of the other company will do.

For those of you with an MRC, how do you like the Marbles sights?

For those of you with an MRC, how do you like the Marbles sights?
They are a functional sight, I would be happy to have them on my elk gun if I damaged my scope. Not ideal sights as back up on a DG rifle in my opinion. I have made the suggestion that they offer an option on their DG rifles that we can get an island rear and banded front sight. I would gladly fork over the extra bucks to have a quarter rib and banded front. Throw a barrel band sling mount and we are starting to talk dirty!

They are a functional sight, I would be happy to have them on my elk gun if I damaged my scope. Not ideal sights as back up on a DG rifle in my opinion. I have made the suggestion that they offer an option on their DG rifles that we can get an island rear and banded front sight. I would gladly fork over the extra bucks to have a quarter rib and banded front. Throw a barrel band sling mount and we are starting to talk dirty!
working on it!! may not have the quarter rib yet but all the rest!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg