Montana Rifle Company Safari Elite

My MRC had fiber optic sights. I’m not sure how I feel about this.

My MRC had fiber optic sights. I’m not sure how I feel about this.
I've had fiber optic front sights and really liked them.
Easy to pick when bringing the gun up and I had good accuracy.

My problem with them is durability.
One smack in the right place and they are gone.
And hunting in Africa can be a contact sport just sitting in the bakkie.
I've since switched to a brass bead front and shallow V rear for my rifles.

I've had fiber optic front sights and really liked them.
Easy to pick when bringing the gun up and I had good accuracy.

My problem with them is durability.
One smack in the right place and they are gone.
And hunting in Africa can be a contact sport just sitting in the bakkie.
I've since switched to a brass bead front and shallow V rear for my rifles.

Yup...my ruger 10/22 had fibre optic sights...but I presume it got knocked over in my chalet by the cleaner as when I was checking it out looking through the sights I couldn't figure out why I was looking at bright rear sights and a strange hole in front...realised the front fibre optic was gone and one of the 3 small bands holding it in place was snapped off....not great to happen out here....but figured out a white tooth pick was same diameter so a piece became my new front sight ...bit of white paint will finish ot off :E Big Grin: ...so now am bit worried as my ahr cz 404 has fibre front sight....:E Shrug:

I’ve had the same experience with several turkey shotguns. Been hunting, have a bird gobbling and look down the barrel with no front sight. I’ve had it happen to the rear too.
I think I’ll have him upgrade the sights while it’s at the smith.

Hood or no hood on front sight?

I’ve had the same experience with several turkey shotguns. Been hunting, have a bird gobbling and look down the barrel with no front sight. I’ve had it happen to the rear too.

Having a hood is fine and they are removable if you don't like them.
Mine popped of in the bakkie and I found it.
Only put it back in place when I sold the rifle.

Currently my rifle is matte blued. Considering having it hot blued. Thoughts?

I personally hate hoods on my front sights...the first thing I do is pull them off...happened to my cz from ahr and my cz from custom shop...took a bit of levering but they gave in....just a personal thing....for some reason they really annoy me :E Shrug: :E Big Grin:

I personally hate hoods on my front sights...the first thing I do is pull them off...happened to my cz from ahr and my cz from custom shop...took a bit of levering but they gave in....just a personal thing....for some reason they really annoy me :E Shrug: :E Big Grin:

+1

Excessive engraving and gold / ivory / precious stone / abalone shell / etc. inlays, even overly intricate stock chequering patterns, on any type of firearm, rifle or otherwise, does not appeal to me.
If I were the wealthiest man on earth, I would not have any of my guns tarted up.
+1!

I firmly believe that a smooth mirror finish bluing beats tasteless or second rate engraving everytime.
For me it beats excellent engraving. You stated what I couldn’t think of, “a smooth mirror finish”. I prefer this look to engraving:
D1C129E8-0CFF-4A15-8240-31C58FB6D061.jpeg

Last edited:
The real questions should be more along the lines of, does the rifle shoulder well, is it well balanced, does it fit you well, is it accurate, etc. If YOU like the scroll and or gold inlays, it doesn’t matter a hill of beans what others prefer. I have plain Jane up to what I consider tastefully ornamented, and several combinations in between. Every one of them fits me well, shoulders well, is nicely balanced, etc. They will all go to the field, even the ornamented ones, because they are rifles and that’s what they are made for. You can buy Harbor Freight or Snap On tools, you can buy plane or ornamented rifles, so long as you like and use them what difference does it make? IMO, zippo.

For me it beats excellent engraving. You stated what I couldn’t think of, “a smooth mirror finish”. I prefer this look to engraving:
View attachment 370043

Nice looking rifle....beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. I prefer nicely done case hardening with the beautiful color swirls....a nicely done game scene on a O/U shotgun is also a thing of beauty.

Set up a plain Jane Montana 1999 in 375 for my son who plugged a 42 in Buffalo in Zimbabwe between the eyes at 15 minutes to dark on the last day of the hunt. If you asked him if he'd like it gold plated and engraved he might die of laughter. Now that said I have an exceedingly fancy customized 1999 in 757 Ackley improved which shoots even better and I highly treasure. But that said for dangerous game I would simply prefer the gun that shoots and handles best. The ton-plus beast that is standing on top of your carcass cares not about the artwork you recently clung on to...

trouble with case hardening is it involves heat and can alter alignment etc of the action.
given that trued actions shoot best, this could be retrograde.
at a min the action should be re trued if case hardened..
bruce.

It is all a question of degrees. I too find ornate engraving just too much, but a little to delineate edges is very tasteful and whispers quality without shouting. This is the barrel to fence detail on my Verney, it feels very African, you can see it is hand done, I like that.
0B747A6B-F369-4853-99BE-A4AF200AB673.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg