AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
Most of you know that I bought an MRC African in 404 Jeffery. I’m having the dealer do some upgrades like barrel band, thread cap, and file down the sling stud and haven’t taken delivery. The gun is plain and is a no thrills rifle for lack of a better term.
I’ve been looking hard at the Heym Martini and this MRC Safari elite. In my opinion; the two are not apples to apples but this is reflected in price. We all know MRC is closed but with “plans to reopen soon “ per my dealer.

My question is, if you could upgrade to the safari elite with engraving and XXX walnut would you?

D22B16B9-1824-49CC-B4C1-49B84D1D49EB.jpeg

Personally, I am not a big fan of a lot of gold on a rifle or a shotgun. I really think the Brits and Germans got it right respectively with the understated elegance of Rose & Scroll and oak leaves perfectly framed into case coloring or rust blue. A highlighting line of gold works with that sort of thing.

The other issue is that the gold demands attention. Great work can indeed look fabulous. Less than great work looks merely garish. This is a piece of Jim Blair's work. https://www.jimblairengraving.com/ I think it is exceptional. The buffalo above - well, let's just say, somewhat less so. :unsure:

engraving Jim Blair.JPG

A great piece of walnut is a wonderful thing. Just make sure the maker knows how to lay out a blank for a heavy recoiling rifle. Have all the marbling and figure in the world in the butt. But make sure the grain flows cleanly through the wrist.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.57.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.57.40 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 208
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.57.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.57.42 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 220
Personally, I am not a big fan of a lot of gold on a rifle or a shotgun. I really think the Brits and Germans got it right respectively with the understated elegance of Rose & Scroll and oak leaves perfectly framed into case coloring or rust blue. A highlighting line of gold works with that sort of thing.

The other issue is that the gold demands attention. Great work can indeed look fabulous. Less than great work looks merely garish. This is a piece of Jim Blair's work. https://www.jimblairengraving.com/ I think it is exceptional. The buffalo above - well, let's just say, somewhat less so. :unsure:

View attachment 369749
A great piece of walnut is a wonderful thing. Just make sure the maker knows how to lay out a blank for a heavy recoiling rifle. Have all the marbling and figure in the world in the butt. But make sure the grain flows cleanly through the wrist.

Completely agree. I’ve never been a fan of really ornate work. I admire it but it’s not my taste. The MRC is not the best work and definitely doesn’t compare to Mr. Blair’s work.

My current MRC is plain with an X Walnut stock. The Heym is a big improvement over the MRC but commands the price difference.

While I do think the engraving is beautiful, I would rather have a plain and functional firearm I’m not afraid to scratch up, then put that money towards another hunt. When you have a buffalo on the ground, I think your thoughts will be “what a great hunt” not “what a beautiful rifle I shot this with”

Plain and simple blue steel and walnut for me. A working tool, not a showpiece that I'm afraid to use for fear of getting scratched or dinged.

I can appreciate a bit of engraving on a rifle. A smooth scrollwork or a special name engraved. I prefer blued steel and wood and I personally don't like inlays and different finishes ( metal finished in gold or such). However, that is me, not anyone else. If you can afford it, and want it, just get it and use it. I would love to have a fully engraved Smith and Wesson N frame with Ivory but that's outside my wallet. I would carry it daily and enjoy it.

Plain and simple blue steel and walnut for me. A working tool, not a showpiece that I'm afraid to use for fear of getting scratched or dinged.
The picture in the circle shows what little engraving done on a double in my collection

This is why I purchased the standard MRC 404. No thrills matte blue and X walnut.

Just thinking out loud here regarding the Safari Elite.

Most of you know that I bought an MRC African in 404 Jeffery. I’m having the dealer do some upgrades like barrel band, thread cap, and file down the sling stud and haven’t taken delivery. The gun is plain and is a no thrills rifle for lack of a better term.
I’ve been looking hard at the Heym Martini and this MRC Safari elite. In my opinion; the two are not apples to apples but this is reflected in price. We all know MRC is closed but with “plans to reopen soon “ per my dealer.

My question is, if you could upgrade to the safari elite with engraving and XXX walnut would you?

View attachment 369731

Sorry to be a bit blunt but that "engraving " is not great...and am being restrained saying it like that....I have seen some amazing engraving of animals on guns that would be lovely to have....but you pay a serious amount for one of those engravers...and not that many are capable of doing it....I would prefer a plain gun/rifle to that one...sorry if I have offended you ....go for the heym

Sorry to be a bit blunt but that "engraving " is not great...and am being restrained saying it like that....I have seen some amazing engraving of animals on guns that would be lovely to have....but you pay a serious amount for one of those engravers...and not that many are capable of doing it....I would prefer a plain gun/rifle to that one...sorry if I have offended you ....go for the heym
Hahaha no offense whatsoever. Like my above post agree with this statement. It’s not great at all but would consider it above my plain MRC. I’d rather have the Heym hands down

In the end, you will get what you pay for.

It sounds like the MRC you have is a perfectly good working rifle.
I would avoid putting scroll work on it because it would look out of place.
There is a phrase "lipstick on a pig"...although your MRC is a long way from a pig.
Don't try to doll it up, there's something to be said for nice clean lines.

Instead, get yourself a proper English or German rifle if you want scroll work.
Heym, Krieghoff, Mauser & Rigby all have beautiful engraving and functional rifles as well.
Yes, it comes at a price...but you will be much happier with the end result.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of engraving on a rifle, so I wouldn't pay extra for a well-engraved rifle (although I can admire the workmanship).

I do though enjoy a very nice piece of walnut, and have always upgraded my rifles. That I would be prepared to pay for.

In the end, you will get what you pay for.

It sounds like the MRC you have is a perfectly good working rifle.
I would avoid putting scroll work on it because it would look out of place.
There is a phrase "lipstick on a pig"...although your MRC is a long way from a pig.
Don't try to doll it up, there's something to be said for nice clean lines.

Instead, get yourself a proper English or German rifle if you want scroll work.
Heym, Krieghoff, Mauser & Rigby all have beautiful engraving and functional rifles as well.
Yes, it comes at a price...but you will be much happier with the end result.

Couldn’t agree more. I like the plain lines of the MRC but boy it is plain! :LOL:

Probably gonna get the Heym if my wife gives me the go ahead.

here is what i would do with the same money.
i would have 3 rifles built by a good gunsmith using m70 actions, quality hand lapped stainless barrels, the same triggers properly set up, and something like mcmillan stocks.
they would all be bead blasted matt finish.
with cash left over i would have all the same or similar scopes mounted the same height.
thus any shooting with any rifle is practice for the others.
barrels would have no sights, but a spare scope in mounts would be in the equation, and sight settings recorded for each barrel.
calibres would be, 280 rem, 338, and 416 rem.
then go hunting.
bruce.

Not me. I love the extra engraving!!! I have enough “working” guns. Go with the engraving

After talking things out I’m keeping the pIain MRC for now and will be attempting to trade it for the Heym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois