Montana Rifle Company DGR 505 Gibbs review

Yea but we would have to start up new soup kitchens to feed the unemployed lawyers!

Or, they could take up a more noble profession.

We need 'em (attorneys), just not so damn many, nor so damn greedy.

"I believe if it were me dealing with the pawn shop I would have given them the options of
A)Return my money in full
B)File the front sight off of the DGR prior to me stuffing it up their ass to minimize tearing.
C)File a complaint with the Better Business bureau about them stealing my sales tax money.
If I were running MRC, I would have handled this whole situation differently for sure.
A)Try to make customer happy by at least making the repair timely.
B)If I could not satisfy the customer with a new rifle, I would refund his money
immediately.
C)I would black ball the retailer for unethical(probably illegal) business practices."

What you said, Cody. Spot on, spot on.

In my opinion, the retailer is most at fault with regard to the nature of the final outcome. Surely, MRC could've handled their part better, but for the retailer to behave as they did is truly unconscionable. Holding a portion of your money, and in this profiting from your misfortune? In my book they're scum, total scum.

Any updates? I know it has been a a while, just curious. Anything I need to be made aware of? (Loads or bullets don't fit, stock strengthening measures etc) I'm in the process of getting my action barreled by them.
Thanks again
Ed

My round count is over 220 on my 505 and no problems as of yet. I added the heaviest base, rings and DG scope I could and it tamed it down to an acceptable level to shoot repeatedly. I purchased a 6.5x284 and a 416 RM recently and I couldn't be more pleased with the 416. IMO it is a lot of gun for the money. It has a synthetic stock, the 6.5 has wood and it is not an appealing piece of wood at that and will be replaced in short order. Other than the would cosmetics I have no bitch, gripe or complaint.
Regards,
Cody

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Duh.... Montana, not CZ. No idea what I was thinking. Nevermind!
Don't apologize, when you think of a rough action out of the factory CZ naturally comes to mind, thats the reason I only own four of them:)

Apparently MRC has discontinued production of the DGR while they evaluate several things, particularly the stock. They said the style will remain the same but they are changing the bedding and 'other variables'. Makes me think they are admitting a problem with stock splitting and trying to change. I don't know if I will buy one any time soon, but its nice to see them trying to head in the right direction. They said look for it early this summer but they don't have a definitive time frame.

Apparently MRC has discontinued production of the DGR while they evaluate several things, particularly the stock. They said the style will remain the same but they are changing the bedding and 'other variables'. Makes me think they are admitting a problem with stock splitting and trying to change. I don't know if I will buy one any time soon, but its nice to see them trying to head in the right direction. They said look for it early this summer but they don't have a definitive time frame.
Addition of a second cross bar would help dramatically.

I have a MRC and my friend has 2 but nothing bigger than a 375. All excellent rifles. I expect the problem is the size of the cartridge. That being said you would think they would be very sure to have a properly functioning firearm before offering it to the public. As far as business relations I have been in business form 40yrs. and have found it much better to return the customers money regardless who is at fault. Should I ever want a 505 it won't be a MRC.

I find a regular problem with cracked stocks due to shipping hard to believe. There is plenty of protection in those boxes. Is it possible? Sure, I guess, but come on!!!!

Now that I got that out of the way tell us what you bought!!!!! A .505 Gibbs?
Boyd Stocks are decent stocks, but I would only use them on Light to Medium caliber rifles, The amount of wood they go thru makes me think the wood must be pretty green. But if MRC is having stock cracking problem it's time to step up and get a better supplier, and as mentioned They are packed real well at the factory and the only way they could be damaged is if they were dropped from a plane

I'm the guy with the new (used) CZ 505 purchase yesterday. First thing at the store was the bolt is sticky if you put upward pressure or any torque sideways or upwards. So might need a good polishing or breaking in... Brought it home and fed some rounds into the box.

With 3 in the box, it takes some forcing to hold them down and close the bold on an empty chamber... As I bought it second hand (claimed not fired by the owner but test fired by the custom shop?).. I don't have a manual. Anyone know if I am supposed to be able to do this?

Then I cycled a round and when ejecting the first round, it puked the second one out of the box... I was holding the gun at a bit of an angle and if I hold it level, it seems to be ok. Now I cannot get the first round to go down in the back without a lot of messing around, the follower seems to be hanging up. It seems to have a lot of issues all around the magazine, loading, and cycling. Not terribly fond of the trigger. It has the single set but just not a nice smooth trigger... It does function though.

When I found this gun, it had 20 rounds with it, worth some bucks! But it originally had 40 and the store personnel had thrown out half because of cracked necks on the brass... They were in plastic boxes with CZ Custom shop labels on them. I was negotiating on the gun and left to let them try and get the box and manual from the previous owner. When I went back, they had discarded more of the rounds and really wanted to throw them all out as you could pull the bullets out of some of the cases by hand! I wanted more money off because of the value of 20 rounds of 505! They talked to CZ and were asked to send in the gun and rounds... They got the gun back this week (probably was gone 5 or 6 weeks?) with no rounds and no credit back. They said they test fired it and everything was fine... Well yea, other than holding rounds in the box and even being able to load it..

It looked like new when I first looked at it. But it is pretty dirty when I got it. And a few other little issues... So not thrilled with CZ Custom shop so far.

But I got this from Scheels and they have a return policy if your not satisfied... So I have 30 days to get my money back. They are usually considered a very good retailer in our area and I am sure they will honor this. In fact they told me to go shoot it and bring it back if I don't like it for any reason. However I would much prefer to have a functional gun so I hope to work at it a bit more.
If you might be interested in selling it, I would like to work on it--

If you might be interested in selling it, I would like to work on it--
That post you quoted was 9 years ago... a lifetime ago. That gun has been to Africa and I shot buffalo with it. It's an absolute hammer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg