Montana Rifle Company DGR 505 Gibbs review

hi jeff @MRC welcome to AH . just wondering why your "production rifle" was never going to meet matts needs. i dont know how many rifles you make, but with these type of calibres i would have thought they would all have been more of the custom build type? if i was going to buy one of your rifles i would hope it would work in different circumstances where you might not be cycling the bolt in the same manner each time. i know the long bolts can "wobble" around when you cycle them but i wouldnt have thought that would make any difference in the feeding, extraction or of bullets jumping out.......not having a go , just seemed a strange comment to make. cheers mike

Mike ,

Maybe you should be asking for Matt's rifle performance test.

I have also seen where someone has had trouble using a rifle where another person does not.

i can email my test list to any one interested, shoot me a PM with your email.

-matt

Matt, what came of the 505? Still thinking of a 505 from MRC (it being the only I can afford).

sadly no good news...

i sent an email a little while ago asking about the status of my refund and here is the complete response:

Hi Matt,
Sorry, been on the road at shows and haven’t been by a computer.
Pawn Fathers is the one that will refund you, not Montana Rifle, you will need to contact them.

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Larry

Larry Craven
Sales Manager

the pawn shop has made it very clear that they are only the middle man in the deal and do not give refunds on any purchases. so im not exactly sure... but it sure seems like im boned. i currently have no gun and no money. i need to figure out how to get my money back out of this!

thankfully ive already ordered a Dangerous Game rifle from American Hunting Rifles so ill have a rifle for my hunt. the rifle from AHR is three times the price of the MRC DGR but its a true custom rifle and AHR has an outstanding reputation.

-matt

Montana Rifle Company is shooting themselves in the foot on this one, big time. They've already lost one sale (mine, now firmly decided against by virtue of the above), and I'm sure there'll be many others. Why? Because people who are interested will search the Internet for further information (as did I...that's how I found your post). And when they find your review, they won't walk away, they will run.

Last edited:
And furthermore, what the hell does the retailer have to do with the situation? They're nothing more than a FFL agent, pulling a minor profit for the service. It's not like they contributed to the cause. For crap's sake, Montana Rifle Company (yeah, I'm speaking to you, Jeff Sipe), man up and take responsibility for your own actions!

CT you are exactly right about this. When you see enough bad press you walk away from what seems like a good deal. I walked away from a Sabatti double that I thought was a bargain because something told me to look on the net. When I did there was a lot of bad press with pictures to boot of what to look for.
In this case MRC doesn't seem to care that they have delivered two poorly built rifles to Matt and have stalled over and over again on making the thing right.
Matt sorry to hear that Montana Rifle adds insult to injury!

Just sent this to MRC:

image.jpg

Matt, with all hope MRC will make this right. I'm not holding my breath, but one can always wish.

Matt, with all hope MRC will make this right. I'm not holding my breath, but one can always wish.

CTDolan if you read a little further back MRC has already joined the forum and posted on this thread. the way theyve put it is that they are a manufacturer and do not sell strait to buyers. to order their rifle i had to arrange a local pawn shop to order it for me.

i dont want things to get nasty, i just want my money back! at the current rate the only way i think ill get my money back from this is to "hope" i get a serviceable rifle from them so i can sell it to get my money back.

-matt

I am aware of MRC's reply (in fact, Jeff's initial post was in response to one of mine).

Direct sell or not, MRC is still liable, 100%, precisely because they are the manufacturer.

I am aware of MRC's reply (in fact, Jeff's initial post was in response to one of mine).

Direct sell or not, MRC is still liable, 100%, precisely because they are the manufacturer.

i just noticed that, my bad. :oops:

i will agree that a manufacturer should stand behind their product. sadly this is less and less common these days.

-matt

CT, that is incorrect. We do not sell direct to the consumer, we sell to the dealers. So Pawn Fathers was our customer not Matt. And Matt was Pawn Fathers customer so he will have to deal with whom he bought the rifle from. We have refunded our customer and sent the stock back to our manufacturer for review as well. Matt please keep in contact with Pawn Fathers about your money from them. It is unfortunate that the stock broke, it should not have happened, we will conduct a full review with the stock manufacturer to find out how, why and have them make changes if necessary. Matt we wish you the best and hope your future endeavors work out better than this has.

We have refunded our customer and sent the stock back to our manufacturer for review as well. Matt please keep in contact with Pawn Fathers about your money from them.

i will contact them again.

thank you
-matt

CT, that is incorrect. We do not sell direct to the consumer, we sell to the dealers. So Pawn Fathers was our customer not Matt. And Matt was Pawn Fathers customer so he will have to deal with whom he bought the rifle from. We have refunded our customer and sent the stock back to our manufacturer for review as well. Matt please keep in contact with Pawn Fathers about your money from them. It is unfortunate that the stock broke, it should not have happened, we will conduct a full review with the stock manufacturer to find out how, why and have them make changes if necessary. Matt we wish you the best and hope your future endeavors work out better than this has.

Matt, its a bummer you haven't been refunded yet.

Larry, since Pawn Fathers is your customer and you have influence with them, wouldn't it be a nice gesture to contact them and encourage them to get the refund back to Matt soon?

We have refunded our customer and sent the stock back to our manufacturer for review as well. Matt please keep in contact with Pawn Fathers about your money from them.

there seems to be a lapse in communication. Pawn Fathers claims to have not heard from you since returning the rifle to you.

-matt

Is nobody honest anymore? MRC says they've refunded the shop, the shop says they haven't heard a thing; meanwhile, the dude to whom the money is due is caught in the crossfire.

Matt, if you haven't received your money back by the time you return from your upcoming safari, I would suggest talking to a lawyer and see if he believes you have a civil suit that is economically feasible. There are several legal issues involved since there are two jurisdictions. My thinking is that the rifle was defective from the manufacturer and they are responsible. If the lawyer agrees that there is a case and he will take it, then you should just carry on with life and let him do his thing.

:A Bulb:MRC, you couldn't get the man another rifle and YOU deal with Pawn Fathers? Call it OUTSTANDING customer service? I have done jobs in my own company the were at no charge and lost more than the price of the rifle just to maintain my companies reputation, and it wasn't even my doing. You are aware the stock was faulty, and that he has a hunt coming up that is very expensive.

:A Bulb:MRC, you couldn't get the man another rifle and YOU deal with Pawn Fathers? Call it OUTSTANDING customer service? I have done jobs in my own company the were at no charge and lost more than the price of the rifle just to maintain my companies reputation, and it wasn't even my doing. You are aware the stock was faulty, and that he has a hunt coming up that is very expensive.

I could't agree more. All I've seen from MRC and Larry so far is avoidance, excuse making and deferring the problem to someone else. I've seen nothing constructive on their part in taking direct responsibility and rectifying the manufacturing defect of an item that came from their facility.

However, rest assured that it's easy for any business to maintain a good reputation through customer praise than it is for them to clean up a bad reputation through poor customer service. Based upon the MRC responses I've read here I know what I'll be saying.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg