Montana Rifle Company DGR 505 Gibbs review

i took the MRC DGR to the range today along with my M70 416 RM (glad i brought a second gun!). i figured id shoot it before fighting with MRC some more over whats gonna happen next.

ill start with something positive, the rifle actually has a very nice trigger. it breaks cleanly at what feels like 2.5-3 pounds. the LOP is a little short for what id like but once i got used to it the rifle was actually fun to shoot.

now the issues, for starters it had constant magazine and feed issues. if operated at any speed other then "slow" it would have some sort of issue about every 3 rounds. then the stock began to crack... the crack started small but after two more shots it grew and became obvious the gun was not safe to continue shooting.

lessons learned today:
1. i love the 505 Gibbs cartridge!
2. i want my money back.

-matt

Attachments

• P1000011_zps1nxfbfvu.jpg
    P1000011_zps1nxfbfvu.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 281
Last edited by a moderator:
Matt,

I'm sorry for all the trouble your having, I'm just glad you noticed the crack! Good luck with getting the refund, but at this point, it's the only and best recourse.

Regards,
Mike

:cry:

I am sorry to see this Matt, good luck with MRC.

Another MRC big bore with a cracked stock. They aren't doing something right.

Another MRC big bore with a cracked stock. They aren't doing something right.

Bedding would be the problem I'd guess.

Having interest in a 505 Gibbs from MRC (it being the only 505 I can afford), I've been following this thread for a while now, waiting to see how it all works out. Seems it just isn't going to, and for you Matt, I am very sorry. If you're at all like me, this isn't the kind of thing you can so easily absorb (the injustice of it all, aside).

Having interest in a 505 Gibbs from MRC (it being the only 505 I can afford), I've been following this thread for a while now, waiting to see how it all works out.

Watch closely for a CZ in 505 Gibbs... They do pop up for sale now and then used and discounted to about that price level. Of course you'll have to get lucky or have the typical CZ big bore issues fixed. Matt will disagree, but if you get one and it does not feed well, send it in to be warranted at Triple River.. They know they made mistakes on the early ones and will fix it for free.

If you want a great gun for hunting, get a 458 Lott and save yourself the misery;)

The 458 Lott is magical, but lacks the history of the Gibbs.

I've never been a fan of the CZ 550 (even though having thought of one in 416 Rigby, off and on, over the last couple of years). Winchester I have liked, but the wheels having fallen off the cart with regard to the brand (which is today anything but), I'm feeling left with Ruger or maybe one or two other makers . What I should do is go out and find me a Guide Gun in 416, and call it good. But, something about laminate and stainless (not to mention a butt ugly butt-end, on the stock), just doesn't sit right (plus, there's the whole 416 Ruger starving for case capacity thing...something like the 458 Win Mag, that way...load it to the gills, and you still come up just a little bit short).

Whatever I buy, it is going to very likely be a final purchase in the realm of gundome. In the past I've owned many big bores, up to 460 Weatherby, but this one will be the last.

Hello and welcome CTDolan :S Welcome:
Sounds to me like you are looking for a Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby :D
Matt, I am really sorry to hear the outcome of this cluster :mad: I hope this gets resolved and results in a full refund. And an apology!
My Best

why dont you like the cz? and welcome to AH

IMHO CZ still offers the best value for money , there are many gun smiths who can customize them and make them much more hunter friendly

CZ is good value, but I am not a fan of the aesthetic. If bought, it'd have to go to AHR for some aftermarket work (new trigger, new bolt handle, new shroud/safety).

The Ruger RSM is a nice piece, true, and I'm often scouring the used market just to see what's available. If something with killer wood came around I'd be tempted (and then there's the No.1 in 450-400...always been a tempting proposition...LOTS of history in that caliber!).

Guess I just had my heart set on a 505 from MRC, though (Like Matt, and I'm sure many others...even bought a box of ammo, when Midway had it going for about 1/2 price...always carry one in my pocket, as inspiration, waiting the day).

The 458 Lott is magical, but lacks the history of the Gibbs................Winchester I have liked, but the wheels having fallen off the cart with regard to the brand (which is today anything but), ...the whole 4166 Ruger starving for case capacity thing.....something like the 458 Win Mag, that way...load it to the gills, and you still come up just a little bit short)............

I'm surprised to hear anyone say "the wheels having fallen off the cart with regard to the brand" in regard to Winchester. The best rifles in a generation under that brand name are currently being produced, as regards steel, machining, and engineering quality. You can purchase a Winchester brand (FNH) .458 Winchester Mag for circa $1,200. Take it to a skilled gunsmith and have an endless screw installed in the throat of the stock for reinforcement. Install a mercury recoil absorber. You'll have an adequate elephant rifle for life. Remington should hope its wheels fall off, if such is the result, no?

I've inspected a few recent Winchester rifles. I really wanted to like them, but each had an issue (one of them an issue with the safety...not good).

Maybe the moral of the story is, for around $2,000 and down, when it comes to the big boomers, expect problems and/or re-work.

CZ is good value, but I am not a fan of the aesthetic. If bought, it'd have to go to AHR for some aftermarket work (new trigger, new bolt handle, new shroud/safety).

seems a better way to get your .505 than going matts unfortunate route.......one in cabelas in reno......the trigger on my .500 is fine and just have the bolt handle filled.

Last edited:
Where are my manners? WELCOME CTDolan! Tell us a little more about yourself... Have you been hunting in Africa, planning to ? Or just love the big bores? In any case, glad to have you aboard!

We are all going to give you lots of advice, but you should ultimately do what you want to do.

So on with the advice! As IdaRam pointed out, some of what you said sounds like you really want a 416 Rigby... Can't get much more history than that round and it absolutely "barks" Africa every time you pull the trigger or look at the cartridge! It certainly does not pale next to the 505 Gibbs. AND it has loads of case capacity. If you bought a Guide gun in 416 Ruger, you would indeed have a very utilitarian hunting rifle you could take in to any situation and take on anything that walks the earth. You would get none of the nostalgia.... As for Winchester, Curious has it dead to nuts right! The new guns are the best ever and they may be putting out the most reliable, functional, and best looking guns of any in that price range... You just don't hear of them being sent back for repairs like you routinely do with the new Ruger's and CZ's, not to mention Montana.

I have a 505 Gibbs in a CZ. It has some great looking wood, at least for a CZ. It is thick and bulky but fits me well and I can shoot it without being bruised. Hopefully @Tootabi Hunting Safaris will post several videos of us shooting it.

I also have a 416 Rigby in a Ruger RSM, might be my favorite, still getting to know her. I had no idea Ruger could build something so great until I found this gun. The new Hawkeyes do not compare. I just bought another in 458 Lott. My wife asked what the hell I needed another gun for and I told I absolutely did not, but that I wanted it and want to collect the whole series.. .She just said, oh.... Ok. (makes me wonder what she wants to collect next;)

My wife has a Ruger Guide gun in 375 Ruger. She hates it, it kicks too hard without the brake and that damned brake blows back at her... In any case, it gave her a major flinch and she went from being a dead eye to can't hit the side of barn. We're workjng on it but going to go all the way back to a .17 or .22. She shot my 375 M70 better but it does not fit her. I will likely take that Guide gun to Alaska or anywhere with salt in the air that I don't want to take my favorites.

Then I have 3 M70's, all new models and tow big bores, a 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.... Love them! And have done all my big game hunting with them so far including the 416 on elephant and buffalo...... But the 505 is coming with next month for buffalo and plan to use Norma 600 Grain Woodleigh PP Softs! Having said that, that 416 Rem Mag (or the ruger equivalent) is all any of us should ever need to put down any beast that walk the Earth today... But I "want" to shoot a buffalo with my 505!

For a $2000 budget and not a Montana, a used RSM in 416 Rigby fills what you are asking for, other than it is not a 505 Gibbs. I doubt you will find a CZ for much less than $2000 and then will potentially have the extra cost of having AHR rework it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross