Montana Rifle Company DGR 505 Gibbs review

Wish ya all the luck Matt, I am happy with mine and I'm about to order two of their standard cal rifles next month. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to get my scope mounted on the 505.

matt there must have been something very wrong with the first one if they couldnt sort it out and had to build a new rifle............kinda worrying for you as to how the "new" one will turn out. hope its a good one after all the crap luck you have had with big bores up to now :D Beers:

Matt I hope the new one is exactly what you hoped for!

Me too Matt. My guess is that your original rifle had some serious issues and they trashed it trying to fix it. Nice that they're making good by building you a new one. Best of luck with it!

i got good news and bad news.

the good news is that they told me the rifle has shipped.

the bad news is that i sent them a list of simple tests to perform on the rifle to make sure it was going to perform. but when i asked them later if they had performed my tests, they simply said "we have our own tests". these tests they are talking about are the same tests that allowed the first rifle to show up as a complete piece of junk.

i fear the rifle they sent me may fail my tests and they likely know it. thats probably why they refused to run my tests on the gun.

-matt

Yeah, I've seem your list of tests Matt. They probably didn't like them.

Guess you'll know shortly.... fingers crossed for you!

thanks Royal, a guy can only hope!

-matt

keep us posted Matt , and wishing you all the best

i picked the Gibbs up before work today but had to rush to work so i didnt get a chance to look it over. when i get off of work later tonight ill go over it with a fine tooth comb and see if any issues exist. given how bad the first rifle was, my hopes arent high. but who knows maybe the first rifle was a major fluke.

-matt

Matt let's hope that was the case! I'm thinking positive for you!

Matt,

Hope it turns out a winner.

Matt,
You are killing me! How is it?

i dont get off of work till either 11pm or 1am pacific standard time. :(

-matt

All right dammit, I ain't waiting up! Lol

i just got to sit down and play with the rifle and its vastly better then the first rifle. but sadly it has a couple major issues which i feared would be the case. :E Shake Head::E Doh:

1. when you attempt to cycle the gun quickly it will often push a cartridge into the chamber without grabbing it with the extractor, this means the bolt will not fully close.

2. it wont reliably feed flat point bullets such as the Woodleigh 600gr PP or the North Fork 600gr CPS. it will feed the Woodleigh 525gr RN but it shaves off pieces of lead.

3. if you operate the gun quickly the last cartridge will often pop up from the magazine. this will either fall out of the gun or get pushed into the chamber without engaging the extractor which wont let you fully close the bolt.

im very glad i didnt get my hopes up on this thing because i would be much more upset then i currently am. :A Banana Sad:

-matt

matt not good............just thinking i am sure with the money you have spent on all these big bores in bolt and double type rifles you could have had a nice VC built, or one of those heym doubles they were selling at the reduced price at sci for the 150th anniversary.........

That blows!

Matt, I am very sorry to hear of these repeated failures. Thankfully, you know what you are doing and are catching these problems. But, I have to wonder how many of these rifles are sitting in safes waiting to malfunction in the field. I am really hoping they do right by you very soon and without more delay.

Bummer!

Extremely frustrating.

It will be interesting to hear what they say about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you