Montana Rifle Company DGR 505 Gibbs review

I was in my local Cabelas today and handled a 505 CZ they had. The gun was used and the stock showed some wear. Surprisingly it did not have open sights. It appeared to have been originally ordered without them. I forget what the asking price was but the no-sights turned me off.

I hate to hear the problems you had with the Montana. The CZ's are a solid rifle.

a friend of mine just bought a CZ 550 in 505 Gibbs. it has largely the same issues as my Montana Rifle Co. DGR. (n)

i got word back from MRC today about my request for a refund... they apparently do not do refunds! (n):mad:

here is the response i got:

Good morning Matt,
Got your phone messages this morning, been out of the office.
That isn’t the way that the warranty works, we fix or replace. I know that they have been working on your rifle and if they can’t get it to where it is supposed to be, they will be replacing it. The process isn’t as easy as just tightening something up or putting on a new piece.
They will get your rifle fixed and fixed correctly.

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Larry

Larry Craven
Sales Manager

hopefully some time in the future i will recieve a working rifle, but who knows when that will be. im completely positive that i will never do business with Montana Rifle Company again nor would i recommend others do business with them.

-matt

a friend of mine just bought a CZ 550 in 505 Gibbs. it has largely the same issues as my Montana Rifle Co. DGR. (n)

i got word back from MRC today about my request for a refund... they apparently do not do refunds! (n):mad:

here is the response i got:

hopefully some time in the future i will recieve a working rifle, but who knows when that will be. im completely positive that i will never do business with Montana Rifle Company again nor would i recommend others do business with them.

-matt

So not even a return phone call? Just the note? And still no time frame of when it will be fixed?

I am going to take the advice from Velo Dog and have the additional cross pin and block behind the recoil lug before I fire it, probably will null and void my factory warranty but I think it may solve a stock cracking issue. Hopefully I didn't waste my money on this rifle, not to mention the expense to set up to load this thing!

Matt, they completed a sale, they aren't letting you off the hook....it's called business:whistle:. Montana sits with extra $$$ right now

I'm the guy with the new (used) CZ 505 purchase yesterday. First thing at the store was the bolt is sticky if you put upward pressure or any torque sideways or upwards. So might need a good polishing or breaking in... Brought it home and fed some rounds into the box.

With 3 in the box, it takes some forcing to hold them down and close the bold on an empty chamber... As I bought it second hand (claimed not fired by the owner but test fired by the custom shop?).. I don't have a manual. Anyone know if I am supposed to be able to do this?

Then I cycled a round and when ejecting the first round, it puked the second one out of the box... I was holding the gun at a bit of an angle and if I hold it level, it seems to be ok. Now I cannot get the first round to go down in the back without a lot of messing around, the follower seems to be hanging up. It seems to have a lot of issues all around the magazine, loading, and cycling. Not terribly fond of the trigger. It has the single set but just not a nice smooth trigger... It does function though.

When I found this gun, it had 20 rounds with it, worth some bucks! But it originally had 40 and the store personnel had thrown out half because of cracked necks on the brass... They were in plastic boxes with CZ Custom shop labels on them. I was negotiating on the gun and left to let them try and get the box and manual from the previous owner. When I went back, they had discarded more of the rounds and really wanted to throw them all out as you could pull the bullets out of some of the cases by hand! I wanted more money off because of the value of 20 rounds of 505! They talked to CZ and were asked to send in the gun and rounds... They got the gun back this week (probably was gone 5 or 6 weeks?) with no rounds and no credit back. They said they test fired it and everything was fine... Well yea, other than holding rounds in the box and even being able to load it..

It looked like new when I first looked at it. But it is pretty dirty when I got it. And a few other little issues... So not thrilled with CZ Custom shop so far.

But I got this from Scheels and they have a return policy if your not satisfied... So I have 30 days to get my money back. They are usually considered a very good retailer in our area and I am sure they will honor this. In fact they told me to go shoot it and bring it back if I don't like it for any reason. However I would much prefer to have a functional gun so I hope to work at it a bit more.

Anyone know if I am supposed to be able to do this?

I don't believe CZ claims that its able to do that (not 100% sure), but any proper DG rifle should be able to hold at least 3 in the magazine with the bolt closed on an empty chamber.

Matt, they completed a sale, they aren't letting you off the hook....it's called business:whistle:. Montana sits with extra $$$ right now

ah yes "business"... :A Deal::S Horse Shit:

-matt

i wish i had some good news, but still no word from them. if it goes on long enough i may pursue legal action to get my money back.

at the moment im playing with my 416 RM which is doing a decent job of distracting me from my other problems.

-matt

I am sorry to hear this Matt , all the best and keep well .

Matt,
I am so glad we have this forum to exchange experiences with vendors, outfitters and agents. The MT Rifle folks have no idea what bad press this is for them. Their slow to no response with you is in my mind unacceptable. They should replace the rifle immediately.
I hope you can get this resolved in the new year.
Remind me not to buy anything from them.

I have made many mistakes in the world of hunting and firearms. buying from this company was one of them. hopefully others can learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

-matt

I can't believe they haven't even given you a date, or a courtesy phone call!!!

You ought to post a link to this thread on their FB page....

i dont do facebook, but if you do yer welcome to link this thread.

-matt

Matt , CZ had an issue with the larger calibers (50's) as well , do you think this is a caliber issue or is yours specifically a Montana Rifle issue ?

its a little of both.

large bore bolt actions are tricky to make right, especially the magazines. the case diameter is so large that the feed rails must be designed very carefully or the cartridges will pop out.

the 505 Gibbs case is 0.633" (16.11mm) at the widest point.

-matt

When I had Montana build me a 458 lott. I was told 10-12 weeks 15 weeks later nothing so I called they said 2-3 weeks. Ended up taking around 4.5 too 5 months. Being left handed there's not a lot of options. Cz will rape a lefty in anything above 375. Back too the Montana around 20 rounds thru the gun I got a small crack above the tang. I called Montana they said send it back and turnaround was about 3 weeks. Finish on my rifle was good the bolt was a little sticky just neded a little polishing feeds everything I've shoved in it. They are a little slow but I would buy another . I hope they get everything worked out for you

I received my 505 earlier this week, over all I am impressed with the rifle for the price point. I ran the gun through a laundry list of drills to check function. It performed flawlessly on everything I threw at it. I haven't shot it yet. I have a couple of things I want to upgrade prior to shooting it. Matt and Velo Dog have offered up some great advice on this rifle. Thanks gentlemen for the help!
Cheers,
Cody

I received my 505 earlier this week, over all I am impressed with the rifle for the price point. I ran the gun through a laundry list of drills to check function. It performed flawlessly on everything I threw at it. I haven't shot it yet. I have a couple of things I want to upgrade prior to shooting it. Matt and Velo Dog have offered up some great advice on this rifle. Thanks gentlemen for the help!
Cheers,
Cody

glad to hear yours turned out good. if your rifle passed all the tests I suggested then you got a MUCH better rifle then I did! Velo Dog has given some very sound advice on big bore guns. your rifles stock will be much sturdier if you follow his advice.

im curious, how much does your rifle weigh? I forgot to check mine before sending it out.

-matt

glad to hear yours turned out good. if your rifle passed all the tests I suggested then you got a MUCH better rifle then I did! Velo Dog has given some very sound advice on big bore guns. your rifles stock will be much sturdier if you follow his advice.

im curious, how much does your rifle weigh? I forgot to check mine before sending it out.

-matt
Just under 10 lbs, a couple pounds shy of what I would think one should weigh for this cartridge. I am anticipating quite a beating from a 10 pound gun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross