Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
The best part about this year's trip was that we actually got to do it... Thankfully, we made it out in spite of Covid and had another fantastic trip getting the chance to spend time with good friends in one of the most beautiful places on earth.... We only fished a few guided days this year, and focused on the opportunity to do lot more exploration of some new small streams a creeks in Western Montana and Eastern Idaho. Although we had some hotter than normal temps and LOTS more recreational traffic on the rivers, the fishing did not disappoint. I think the Covid restrictions had more locals out enjoying the outdoors this summer more than ever. We can hardly blame them...

We did our guided days this year with our good friend Brooks Jessen with @Troutzoola. Brooks grew up in the Bitterroot Valley in Western Montana, and he is one of the most dedicated, affable, and fishiest guides you will ever spend a day with. I highly recommend booking a few days with Brooks for lots of laughs and some excellent fishing if you are ever in the area.

The smallest water yielded the biggest fish this year...! Here are a few of the highlights of this year's fishing...

IMG_4333.jpg
IMG_4277.jpg
IMG_4297.jpg
IMG_4294.jpg
IMG_4335.jpg
IMG_4350.jpg
IMG_4347.jpg
IMG_4356.jpg
IMG_4572.JPG
IMG_4440 (1).jpg
IMG_4445.jpg
IMG_4651.JPG
IMG_4630.JPG
IMG_4690.JPG
IMG_4632.JPG
IMG_4693.JPG
IMG_4694.JPG
IMG_4657.JPG

Firehuntfish,

Your fly fishing reports are always tip top.
Thanks for posting yet another one.
I’m +1 with Brent in AZ on the brown trout.
Also, your last pic, bottom of the post, looks like Montana’s Madison River Valley.
Whether it is the Madison or some other look-alike western valley, that picture made my casting arm twitch.

Tight Lines,
Velo Dog.

Also, your last pic, bottom of the post, looks like the Madison River Valley.

That's Paradise Valley on the Yellowstone River about halfway between Livingston and Gardiner... Although I've never seen a valley in Montana that wasn't breathtaking, this is one of my favorites...

Awesome! That Brown Trout is a Toad!

Thanks @Brent in Az ... Believe it or not, those are 3 different browns my buddies caught on the same day. I told them to change shirts and hats so people would believe them.... LOL.. Catching one 2-footer brown once in a lifetime is an achievement let alone 3 in the same day. All of those nice browns came from the same section of upper Clark Fork near Deer Lodge, Mt.

That's Paradise Valley on the Yellowstone River about halfway between Livingston and Gardiner... Although I've never seen a valley in Montana that wasn't breathtaking, this is one of my favorites...

So many clear rivers and only one lifetime.

Awesome water, thanks for the pics! I’ve caught my biggest browns on the big hole fishing downstream of the salmon fly hatch. If you ever get a chance, give it a try. 99% of the anglers are fishing the hatch, but the real hogs are hitting streamers below it.

Nice fish. Congrats on another great fishing trip. Good looking fish.
Bruce

Dan, I have gotten to where I look more forward to your Montana fishing reports than I do most hunt reports. The scenery and the fish are always gorgeous.

Some beautiful brownies in there! Where in Idaho did you fish?

Some beautiful brownies in there! Where in Idaho did you fish?

Hi, @PHOENIX PHIL

On this trip, we fished the Lochsa River. From what I hear, it gets good runs of steelhead and salmon on the lower end. Up high where we fish it just across the Montana border it gets a lot smaller and it's all native West-slope Cutthroats and some of the most beautiful scenery in Idaho in my opinion.

Incredible Dan. Thanks for sharing your trip with us! (y)

Very nice fishing report! You were right around where I will be in a little over a month from now. Opening day of rifle elk season, near Pray, MT.

Very nice fishing report! You were right around where I will be in a little over a month from now. Opening day of rifle elk season, near Pray, MT.

That's one hell of a unit to draw..! There are some monster bulls over in that valley. Good luck on your hunt!

Always look forward to your fishing posts. Especially your Florida pics!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg