Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
Well my group didnt draw for Wyoming antelope which rendered my birthday gift to my Nephew null and void. Hes a much bigger fisherman (15 yo) then hunter but would of been his first big game hunt. Plans change and now I am looking to take him to Montana end of August before he goes back to school. Hes never been out west and think this trip will be an awesome experience for the both of us truly. Looking to do a guided day of fly fishing and then a day of lake fishing. My nephew is very much a beginner at fly fishing and 10 years ago I was decent with a fly rod. So looking for a place that will work with our inability and will provide a great experience in pretty country. Lake fishing figured would be spinning gear.

I am planning to bring a fly rod and spinning rod for both of us (excuse for a new fly rod) to fish while we sight see after the guided trips. Looking at flying to Bozeman as its an easy flight from Milwaukee but not stuck on it.

Anyone recommend guides around Bozeman? Dont need lodging just gear and guiding.

Thanks
Dale

Hi Dale, Check out these fishing stories posted on AH by @firehuntfish who is an avid fisherman familiar with Montana:

Dale, JMO&E, the Yellowstone is good, but I prefer a spinning rod because it is big water. The Gallitin and Madison you can fly or spin fish.
The end of August should be excellent fishing! Grasshopper time, so I would be casting near the undercut shores for browns. Any good floating hopper pattern should work. Stop in one of the fly shops in any town and ask for a local hopper pattern. A hopper/dropper should work well over deeper runs. I like classic nymphs that have worked forever, ie, gold ribbed hares ear, prince (bead head), etc. Wooly buggers work well if you like streamer fishing, or muddler minnows weighted as a streamer or unweighted as a hopper.
Lures I use are Panther Martins, Mepps, Little Cleo, small Rapalas, and Acme Kastmaster In daylight clear water use brighter colors…silver, yellow, etc. In cloudy days or late evening or night use darker colors…gold, black, etc. Small floating Rapalas can work as grasshoppers too.
Hope this gives you some ideas? You guys are going to really enjoy fishing Montana! Please write a report!

Thanks jerome and tank you ridgewalker! My sisters a single mother so i try to do a "man trip" each year with him since he was old enough to shoot. I think i get as much or more from the trips as he does. Montana and wyoming blew me away my first time in my late 20s, looking forward to his reaction to everything.

I would do a float trip on a river like the Madison. Even if he isn't a great caster, he can quickly learn to mend the line and keep the fly in front of the trout.

I'll put out a request for you. No promises but he is pretty good about answering.

Another tactic you may want to take is call up Winston rods in Twin Bridges and ask for advice. Dan Bailey's in Livingston is another option.

My choice would be fly to Billings and hit the Bighorn. Great fishing and I have had nothing but good experiences with guides there on the river. Hit the reservoir and go carp fishing for your lake experience. You will love it on the fly! Custer battlefield is really cool.

You didn't mention how long the trip is, so that is a factor and also you said you didn't need room and board, another factor

Appreciate all the input guys. I emailed Troutzoola to see availability. I say lodging wasnt needed as we will likely just drive and stop when we get tired or find a place to fish/explore. Dont want to commit to a few days in same town with same outfitter/lodge so have freedom to wonder if needed. Looking at probably 5 days from airport to airport.

Fish hard and enjoy the West! I wish you and the kid the best and really want to see a report of your adventures when the journey is done!

My son guided on the Big Horn for a couple of years. Great fishing!!! He worked for Big Horn Angler good bunch of guys.

I'll shoot them an email. I'm booking a little late from what i'm hearing from outfitters so more options the better to find an open slot.

My son guided on the Big Horn for a couple of years. Great fishing!!! He worked for Big Horn Angler good bunch of guys.
I have fished the Bighorn and done well. John Sindland is the 'master' guide at Bighorn Angler and a friend. He will get you on some nice fish and help you become a better fly-fisher.

I'll be fishing the Bighorn with John again in September while on my bird hunting safari.

You should have no problem finding a guide in the Ennis area to fish the upper Madison if you are flying into Bozeman. If you haven't yet made arrangements call Rainbow Valley Lodge in Ennis and they'll get you fixed up. One thing to keep in mind is that all of our rivers here in SW Montana are under significant restrictions right now due to high temps and low water levels, some rivers are closed completely to fishing at the moment. The Madison has a hoot owl restriction on it which means no fishing after 2PM until midnight each day due to rising water temps to reduce stress on the fish. Guides will take you out early around 6:30AM in order to be off the water by 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg