Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
I will be hunting Wyoming with my 14 year old nephew for antelope this year. It will be his first big game animal assuming we are successful. I am really wanting to double dip in western hunt this year.
Wife really wants to visit our friends in Montana and try to get some Antelope hunting in. Unfortunately I don’t have any points there so my options are limited to 2 or 3 units which have real issue getting access to public. Looking for anyone that may have property in Montana or know someone that may allow for a trespass fee like I’ve seen in Wyoming. No camping or lodging, just pay for access onto/through the property.
Looking at unit 550 or 511 because of draw success with zero points.

Thanks

I would suggest you get an outfitter and hunt private land. After that is (likely quickly) successful, hunt public land with an OTC female tag. Great little combo pedestal trophy set and can be done for less than $4k.

I’m not familiar with Montana license but got email yesterday saying it’s open now. I’d be happy with a doe especially if easier draw

I believe that the Montana division of wildlife has a list of ranches that participate in the ranching for wildlife program, allowing hunters onto private land.

Is that like the HMA or whatever they call it in Montana? Kind of like BLM but have to get permission or sign in. Or is it something different where ranchers work in a less official way to thin the hurds in their area?

It's a deal that Montana makes with ranchers to allow people access to private property to hunt. I think you have to sign up.?

In mt you have to apply for a buck / doe tag or doe only in a particular unit by June 15 I think. Once you draw the unit you can hunt block management within that unit or ask permission , or hire outfitter.

Was trying to figure out draw odds for for doe on Gohunt without any luck. Wondering if they dont publish the difference via MT gov. Thanks everyone, i'll keep researching

Yes they do . Go to mt fish wildlife and parks. Maps of districts are tough to read I can help if you want to pm me. Deadline is June 1 to apply for the tag . I checked.

Last edited:
The Montana BLOCK MANAGEMENT PROGRAM provides meaningful access to private lands across the state. Contact Montana FWP and get a package of maps for the entire state, or just the district that you are going to hunt. This program is pretty simple and offers the non-guided hunter some great places to hunt. Combined with NF and BLM lands, I've never been at a loss for a place to hunt in Montana.

Appreciate Nevada, we hunted muleys there this year and onx got us around pretty well. Just looking at GoHunt, the units you can draw with no points have 10% or so of public land and all the comments say opening day hunters push antelope to private pretty quickly.

Looking at unit 380 now at least for a doe antelope and will put in for buck and hope for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg