Money in South Africa

Coltcc

AH member
Reaction score
So leaving in 14 days to South Arica and my outfitter says I need to take cash to pay for hunt, I don't really like the idea of carrying $5000 cash on me as I am going to port Elizabeth for a few days before hunt and a few after to explore on my own. what have you experienced hunters done? I also went to my bank and got $7000 rand for pocket money . Outfitter said no money orders or travelers checks. There is only so many places to put that much cash!

Can you wire transfer money to your PH?

I'm in Michigan too, PM me if I can help more.

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they should be able to take wire transfer for payment, all I have ever come across accept that. I also do not like carrying that much cash with me, never have and never will.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 10.36.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 10.36.56 AM.png
    682.5 KB · Views: 250
so if u wire transfer do u pay them in fill bedore the trip or when your on the trip, end of trip?
yes i did think of a money belt as well but i just really dont want that cash on me, then im worth something

@Coltcc ,

Typically outfitters will accept some or most of the payment prior to the hunt and then the balance when back home. Some require full payment prior.

well he did say i could send the money to him in the states. i havent really pressed the issue with him but i will ask more about it

I knew a local resident that hunted with my outfitter previously on two occasions. After he vouched for them I paid for the total cost of the package ahead of time. I carried cash for the South African "VAT" and tips. Between my two sons and me, I'll bet we didn't have more than $200.00 in Rand. I notified my Credit Card Company that I was going to Africa and that I expected to charge any extra animals and the cost of Dip and Crating. I gave them the names of the Outfitter and Taxidermist ahead of time as well as a range of the expected charges. There were no surprises. I'm going on my second safari in July with a different outfitter but after meeting him personally will probably be doing the same thing. I live in Southeast Michigan. If you want to chat, send me a PM with your contact information and I'll call you.

Tell your outfitter he needs to be more flexible.

@Coltcc Please note the first word in this statement.

If you do not feel comfortable carrying the money then don't.

There are always other options. Business thrives on adaptability.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I myself have always found asking someone what else can be done is better. I am sure he will do what he needs to so you feel more comfortable. I have carried cash with me and just keep it on me or locked in my gun case. Never had any problems that way. Just can not be over 10,000.00 or you need to do paperwork.

You can also wire some over before you get there to maybe cover all your days fees and what animals you feel comfortable doing. Some outfitters will let you wire money over when you get home also.

My hunt and planned animals are paid for before I arrive. I carry cash in U.S. dollars for tips. If I take an animal not planned for or under estimate the tips/etc, then I put it on an
Amex card at the end of the hunt. I'll have about $100 worth of Rand for use in the airport shops/cafes. Agree with @rpgoldsby above. Every outfitter needs Paypal. It's fast and secure. For those that don't want to use Paypal, don't use it.

Samsonite also makes a an inside wallet similar as the one Dinsdale suggested.

But, if you don´t like carrying much money around, just don´t. Your outfitter should give you other options.

If my outfitter told me I had to carry that much cash to SA, I would find a new outfitter....

So leaving in 14 days to South Arica and my outfitter says I need to take cash to pay for hunt, I don't really like the idea of carrying $5000 cash on me as I am going to port Elizabeth for a few days before hunt and a few after to explore on my own. what have you experienced hunters done? I also went to my bank and got $7000 rand for pocket money . Outfitter said no money orders or travelers checks. There is only so many places to put that much cash!

Flexibility is the name of the game in any business. Ask your outfitter for choices.

You can take a money belt then lock everything up in your ammo box when you get there. Always know the rules for bringing cash to foreign countries. You can reduce your cash needed by wiring him a bit more of the money.

I believe there was a misunderstanding on payment options. We accept cash, CC or wire transfers. Just not Travelers Checks.

Typically, there is a misunderstanding. Glad you will get it sorted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg