Modern rifles that continue to offer the .416 chambering

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Howdy,

Last year I was bit with the 375H&H bug with my CZ 550 and now it's time to take it up a notch into the .416's.

I'm looking to buy a new rifle that's still in production. I'd prefer a .416 Rigby but will also consider the .416 Remington and .416 Ruger (Ammo is about half the price compared to the Rigby here in Canada). MSRP -

Now that the CZ550's have been discontinued, which few options are left?

I know that Winchester offers the Safari Model in .416 Remington but I've never actually seen one in stock, are these still being produced? MSRP $1759 USD.

Sako 85 Brown Bear in 416 Rigby, this is my current preference but again I've never seen them in stock. I believe they retail for more than the Winchester but can't find a MSRP.

Ruger African/Guide Gun offer .416 Rugers. I hear these don't compare very well to the former Ruger RSM, still worth a consideration? MSRP $1619 USD.

Any others that I'm missing?

Howdy,

Last year I was bit with the 375H&H bug with my CZ 550 and now it's time to take it up a notch into the .416's.

I'm looking to buy a new rifle that's still in production. I'd prefer a .416 Rigby but will also consider the .416 Remington and .416 Ruger (Ammo is about half the price compared to the Rigby here in Canada). MSRP -

Now that the CZ550's have been discontinued, which few options are left?

I know that Winchester offers the Safari Model in .416 Remington but I've never actually seen one in stock, are these still being produced? MSRP $1759 USD.

Sako 85 Brown Bear in 416 Rigby, this is my current preference but again I've never seen them in stock. I believe they retail for more than the Winchester but can't find a MSRP.

Ruger African/Guide Gun offer .416 Rugers. I hear these don't compare very well to the former Ruger RSM, still worth a consideration? MSRP $1619 USD.

Any others that I'm missing?
Sako 85 is discontinued now as well IIRC

Why not look for a used CZ or Win rifle chambered in the caliber you like.

You didn't mention the John Rigby&Co. Big Game in 416 Rigby. Beautiful rifle, but pricey.
Also Mauser makes their own version of the Rigby Big Game, also pretty pricey. I think both rifles start at about $15,000 and go up depending on how you want it finished.
I splurged on the Rigby Big Game a few years ago and have taken it to Africa twice and I'm really glad I did. It's a great rifle and I really enjoy shooting it.

You didn't mention the John Rigby&Co. Big Game in 416 Rigby. Beautiful rifle, but pricey.
Also Mauser makes their own version of the Rigby Big Game, also pretty pricey. I think both rifles start at about $15,000 and go up depending on how you want it finished.
I splurged on the Rigby Big Game a few years ago and have taken it to Africa twice and I'm really glad I did. It's a great rifle and I really enjoy shooting it.
Yeah I would love to own a quality peice like the Rigby or similar but that's not in my cards right now due to price. I've been eyeballing the bolt guns from Rigby, H&H, Heym etc.

I'm hoping to stick within $3,000 or so.

I plan on spending the big bucks on the rifle following this .416 which will be a double in .470 or something comparable.

Is a custom out of the question? That route, you'd get what you prefer.

Yeah I would love to own a quality peice like the Rigby or similar but that's not in my cards right now due to price. I've been eyeballing the bolt guns from Rigby, H&H, Heym etc.

I'm hoping to stick within $3,000 or so.

I plan on spending the big bucks on the rifle following this .416 which will be a double in .470 or something comparable.

At $3000 as a budget, I think your choice is pretty simple. Find a used or new CZ550. I believe CZ-USA still has 416 rigby and 458 Lott guns remaining in their warehouse.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 8.25.24 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 8.25.24 AM Large.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 8.25.25 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 8.25.25 AM Large.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 8.25.26 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 8.25.26 AM Large.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 60
Schultz & Larsen have 416Taylor on their web side. But the Norwegian dealer have both i catalog and web side 416Ruger barrel for the gun.

The factory web side is a sorry sight
Schultz & Larsen

But the British dealer have the duck's in the row
Great danes rifles

Schultz & Larsen have 416Taylor on their web side. But the Norwegian dealer have both i catalog and web side 416Ruger barrel for the gun.

The factory web side is a sorry sight
Schultz & Larsen

But the British dealer have the duck's in the row
Great danes rifles
I have never heard anything bad about a Schultz and Larsen, but they are very lightweight, or at least the one I handled was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg