Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I am taking my minor son with me for his second safari to South Africa. I am flying Delta. On the Delta website Advisory page they state that copies of birth certificates for minors must be issued no more than 3 months prior to departure to be valid and allowed on the flight. However, on the South Africa Dept. of Homeland Affairs website most current final ruling document there is no requirement for date of issue. Does anybody know if there is such a requirement?

I am asking because there is a limit to how many copies of a birth certificate I can get in a lifetime and he's got 3 more years after this before he turns 18.

You have to have a birth certificate IN ADDITION to their passport? Ugh.

Is that really issued 3 months prior or are they saying the birth certificate needs to be at least 3 months old?

Seems to me that they would want the birth certificate be at least 3 months old to prevent someone trying to take a child out of the country at the last minute.

Is that really issued 3 months prior or are they saying the birth certificate needs to be at least 3 months old?

Seems to me that they would want the birth certificate be at least 3 months old to prevent someone trying to take a child out of the country at the last minute.
The Delta website reads; "full birth certificate issued within the last 3 months is required for all trips". Exact language.

That language does not, however, appear anywhere on the S. Africa DHA website or the most current final immigration regulation which I downloaded and printed out just for reference.

Wow. I figured a passport would be enough legal documentation for any child over the age of 2 as children over 2 must have their own seat.

That is ridiculous.

Wow. I figured a passport would be enough legal documentation for any child over the age of 2 as children over 2 must have their own seat.

That is ridiculous.
It kicked in 2 years ago. The "date of issue" thing seems to be unique to Delta as I it isn't on SAA's website either

I thought SA had a requirement that a child accompanied by only 1 parent needed a notarized letter from the other parent allowing the child to travel with only 1 parent. Brought to stop one parent "stealing" a child away from the other.

I thought SA had a requirement that a child accompanied by only 1 parent needed a notarized letter from the other parent allowing the child to travel with only 1 parent. Brought to stop one parent "stealing" a child away from the other.
That is required as well along with birth certificate

Requirements from 2015, not sure if they are still in force

https://za.usembassy.gov/m_16042015/
Very much so.

See also:
- SOUTH AFRICA Hunting Information under sectionSouth Africa Regulation for Traveling with Children: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/minors-to-south-africa-issue-dates-on-birth-certificate.36784/
- New South African Regulations for Traveling With Children: https://www.africahunting.com/threa...egulations-for-traveling-with-children.16075/

DELTA WEBSITE PAGE

Traveling to/from South Africa
Traveling to/from South Africa
Passengers traveling with minors (including unaccompanied minors under the age of 18), will be required to present additional documentation in order to enter or depart the Republic of South Africa (S.A.)

The new regulation applies to minor travel if:
1. Both parents are traveling with the minor – Requirement

• In addition to a passport; parents need an original stamped or sealed birth certificate or certified copy
2. One parent is traveling with a minor - Requirement

• Original stamped or sealed birth certificate or certified copy and one of the applicable items below:
A. Affidavit consent from the parent (non-traveling parent) listed in the birth certificate - authorizing
minor to enter or depart from S.A.
B. For a sole parent or legal guardian: a court order that indicates full parental responsibilities/rights
and legal guardianship
C. Where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent who is registered as the parent on the
birth certificate

3. Persons traveling with a child who is not their biological child - Requirement

• Certified copy of the birth certificate
  • Affidavit from the parents or legal guardians of child confirming that minor has permission to travel with non-related person
  • Copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child
  • Contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the minor
4. Unaccompanied minors - Requirement

• Proof of consent (letter or affidavit) from one or both parents/legal guardian authorizing travel into/out of S.A.
  • In the case where one parent provides proof of consent, said parent must also present court order that shows full parental responsibilities and rights
  • A letter from the person receiving the child in S.A.; containing their S.A. residential address and contact details and where the child will reside
  • A copy of identity documents or valid passport (and where applicable; visa or permanent residence permit) of the person receiving the child in S.A.
  • Parent/Legal guardian contact details
Exemptions:

• The new law does not apply to children traveling domestically (i.e.. between Johannesburg and Cape Town)
  • School tours. S.A. immigrations accepts a letter from the school’s Principal to cover all minors on a school tour
  • Birth certificate and additional documentation is not required for those transiting South Africa
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/children.html

My daughter went last summer, took a copy from 14 years ago, no problem.

Home Affairs
SOUTH AFRICAN REQUIREMENTS FOR MINORS TRAVELING INTERNATIONALY

Attachments

• New_Child_Legislation.pdf
    521.6 KB · Views: 226

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luchkabody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!